“A Palace Hotel in Amsterdam” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam to your Saves list
Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oudezijds Voorburgwal 197, 1012 EX Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Offer
Magnifique breakfast
Ranked #11 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Toronto, Canada
“A Palace Hotel in Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I stayed in this hotel from July 12 to 16 2012. The junior suite my wife and I stayed in came with a large furnished balcony overlooking the canal in front of the hotel and the city skyline. Our butler Ralph Kool made travel arrangements for my family to Berlin from the hotel. He did an excellent job. We slept very well in quality beds and bedding. The suite was fitted out well with beautiful furnishings, and an expresso maker. My daughters were really pleased with the shampoos, soaps and the body lotions. The turn down service was very good. My teenaged daughters enjoyed similar amenities to those in the suite in their room.

The hotel was at one time a palace, later the Dutch Imperial Admiralty and still later the building served as Amsterdam's city hall. The wedding chapel is a master piece. Take a guided tour of the hotel to see the bronze sculptures, the wood carvings, the stained glass and the many other works of art. This is much more than a high end hotel. It still has the atmosphere of a palace.

The Inner courtyard has a really nice outdoor cafe. A great place for cocktails. We enjoyed it for dessert after a night out on the town. Bridges restaurant is very popular. It is one of the best seafood restaurants in Amsterdam and the food and service are excellent. The portions are small by North American standards though. I was happier dining out at one of the many Argentinian Steak Houses near the hotel. Many locals apparently love the cuisine at Bridges because many frequent this restaurant for dinner on weekends. Reservations are required on Fridays and Saturdays. I recommend that you reserve before your arrival at the hotel to avoid disappointment.

The breakfast buffet is also in Bridges and includes freshly made fruit smoothies, quality champagne, many food options including made-to-order eggs and Belgian Waffles. The breakfast cost was 35 Euros per person if not included in the room charge ( I had to pay for my daughters but breakfast was included for the suite ) If your preference is for a continental style breakfast you may take it in the Library instead for about half the cost of the buffet. In my opinion it was worth my while to feed my teenagers at the breakfast buffet because there was a lot of food they enjoyed and they would skip lunch after filling up at breakfast. There are so many options I think that most guests should be able to find something they like at the buffet.

The pool is not very large but has a water treadmill for those who like to swim for exercise. The whirlpool is built into a corner of the pool so of course the water is pool temperature, which is not as warm as I like in a whirlpool.The sauna and the steam room are of very high quality and can be brought up to hot temperatures. I got a lot of use out of the cold water bucket because of the hot sauna.The fitness room is small but well equipped. My daughters and I enjoyed these facilities every day ( it rained a lot while we were in town ) and in my opinion warming up in the spa facilities was one of my favorite experiences at this hotel.

During our stay the hotel arranged a car service for us so we could visit some sites outside of Amsterdam including the Canadian WW2 War Memorial and Military Cemetery at Groesbeek, the Windmills museum at ZaanseSchanMuseum and the picturesque fishing village of Volendam. The car and our driver were outstanding. Johann was an excellent tour guide as well as our driver. I highly recommend him if you want a car service to get out of the city for a day trip.

The hotel is two blocks more or less south of the red light district and two blocks in an easterly direction from Dam square. We walked easily to the Anne Frank Museum and to the Van Gogh. One of the best shopping streets is also within easy walking distance. The hotel is on two quiet streets and at night we were not disturbed by the late night party scene a couple. There is a canal boat bus dock two blocks to the south west. we walked from the Central Railway Station to the hotel when we arrived but my wife found this walk difficult with luggage because the cobblestone sidewalks made it difficult to pull the bags on their rollers. We used a cab when we left. A 10 Euro fare is what it cost us to get to the Central. You don't need a car in Amsterdam and it is a compact downtown area that is easy to walk. Bicycles are also a much better option than cars if you don't want to walk. There are many choke points for cars in the down town area because of the canals and the many bridges. Even though cabs have special lanes reserved for their use on many streets they get held up in traffic and are slow to get around.The canal boat buses are another good transport option along with the trams.

There were always cabs at the hotel for those who wanted them. But this hotel is in a great location and this is a city ideally suited for walking in. There is so much to see and do and walking enhances the experience. The streets seemed safe but the hotel is very secure and is a great base for a stay in this wonderful city. I look forward to returning to stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, this hotel has some with really great views of the city. Reserve at Brid...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your delightful review about your experiences at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. As well as the attentive words you wrote about our Butler Bart Kool. I am very pleased that you got to experience the high services in each and every department.
The history of our hotel goes all the way back to the 15th century, and we are very proud to share all these rich stories.

I thank you for recommending our award winning restaurant Bridges. It is indeed correct that the portions in Europe vary from North-America. Nonetheless, I am pleased that we could recommend you to have dinner in another restaurant close by our hotel.

I am also very happy to read that you got to experience not only the city of Amsterdam very well due to the hotel’s location, but also many points of interest outside the city.

We are looking forward to your next visit together with your family.

Robert-Jan Woltering

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
SOUTH WEST
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

My wife and I decided on a mini break in July to Amsterdam and chose the Sofitel Grand hotel. We could not have chosen better, not just for it's central position (4 mins walk from Dam square) but as it turned out the level of customer service as well. We've stayed in numerous 5 star hotels around the world and rate this as one of the finest in terms of overall pleasure to stay in.

What really made the Sofitel stand out was the high level of customer service. Not pretentious or over fussy, just plain good old fashioned service. We never met an employee who did not seem happy and pleased to help, and even at breakfast (which in itself came way beyond our expectations complete with Moet champagne if you wanted). Each and every table server new us by name and couldn't have been more helpful and polite. Most 5 star hotels will offer the same facilities as this one but few are as comfortable and welcoming as this.

The hotel reception was full of bronze statuettes and works of art which created a welcome and comfortable feel. There was a quiet library as well as a sitting area and an outside courtyard for those dry and sunny days. Afternoon tea out there was a delight with live, yet subtle music played on sunday afternoons by members of the local music academy.

We had a good sized room overlooking one of the canals (room 404) which looked recently decorated. The room was very comfortable although for some having only a walk in shower and no bath might be an issue, but it didn't bother us (it was exceptionally clean).

The management of the hotel must be commended and we would readily stay here again and thank all the staff for being so nice.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are better and try to book with a canal view.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such enchanting feedback.

It is wonderful to read your Grand words about our high level of services on each and every department at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. We want to indulge all of our guests and I am very pleased that we had the opportunity to indulge you.

I also would like to thank you for recommending our Afternoon Tea served in our garden with live music on Sunday afternoons during the summer.

It is indeed correct that recently the entire hotel has been renovated which resulted in a blend of history and modern design. I would like to inform you that we offer Luxury rooms which do offer a separate bathtub and rain shower and also have a view over the canals.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Charlottesville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed here for four nights. Staff was welcoming and polite. Rooms very comfortable. Great location in center of the city. Would stay here again. I would book and confirm reservations directly with the hotel. We had originally booked through The Luxury Hotel and Resort Collection, hoping to get the promised breakfast, and upgrade if available. However, the Grand Sofitel had never heard from them directly and the reservations had been booked by a third party. So none the perks from our credit card or booking through the Luxury Hotel and Resort Collection website applied. I am glad that I confirmed my reservations directly with the hotel. However, none of this above misunderstanding stood in the way of enjoying our hotel experiences. The restaurant Bridges, is amazing, which I'll put in separate review.

Dear Guest,

I am pleased but most of all thankful to read your positive review about your stay at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. I am very grateful about the beautiful words you wrote about my team and will certainly pass these on.

I am sorry to read that your booking via The Luxury Hotel and Resort Collection did not came through as well as the promised benefits. Nevertheless, I am very happy to read that we could make the booking for you directly at our hotel and that none of this influenced your stay.

We look forward to your next stay here at The Grand.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Stayed one night for business in Amsterdam (Previously stayed at the Hotel Pulitzer, an even nicer property). The location was ideal, easy walking distance to shops and restaurants. Concierge recommended a canal cruise up the street which is not to be missed. Only complaint I had was that the restaurant didn't offer an a la carte or lighter breakfast option - just a full buffet. I was directed to the "library", where I could get the continental breakfast option. Not a great setting for business colleagues to start their day. Garden is nice for drinks, but be aware there were numerous mice scurrying around the ground, so ladies, keep your bags UP off teh ground. Didn't give the hotel 5 stars because my room was EXTREMELY small - much too small for the price paid.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding the ideal location of The Grand and the canal cruise you have experienced recommended by our Concierge department.

Regarding the breakfast, I apologize for not providing you with a proper alternative in our restaurant Bridges. I can certainly understand that was not a perfect start of the day.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies that you witnessed mice in our garden area. Please rest assured that we have taken drastic measurements to exterminate this problem.

I am also very sorry to hear that you have found the room too small.

Besides the issues described above, I hope that we will have the opportunity and the pleasure to welcome you back in the future.

Spalding, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights with the family and it is just perfect if your looking for top class, we drove to Amsterdam and parked our car at the hotel. Yes it is pricey but if this is what your looking for then it is the best place to be.we will come back .

Room Tip: we stayed in 303 and the children in 305 lovely rooms looking over the court yard
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for expressing your extreme satisfaction regarding the high level of service at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam.

I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay with the family so much.

We look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

The first thing one notices when arriving and entering the exquisite lobby/hotel is the historical architecture and modern interiors blending so beautifully together. The second (and more importantly) the staff. These group of people are flawless. Just perfect and so professional without any airs. They do not miss a beat. The location of this hotel is fantastic. Great bedding too.

Room Tip: Rooms on the canal
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for this delightful review on TripAdvisor.
When reading your review, I felt very proud of my entire team who provided you with the highest level of service you so much deserve. I will certainly not fail to share these wonderful words with the team.
It was indeed our goal to blend the history of the establishment, which goes all the way back to the 15th century, with the modern design of Sybille de Margerie.

We look forward to your next stay here at The Grand.

Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Short walk to Tram, Dam Square, Red Light District (if that is your thing), quiet neighborhood, great restaurants. This hotel is thouroughly renovated and comfortable while still maintaing the charm and history of its centuries old palace buildings. They even conduct tours of the historic parts at 11AM every morning.

The bed was extremely comfortable. We had a gorgeous canal view....

They provide in room espresso machine, robes, umbrellas, etc. Very quiet when we were there, could not here doors slamming, etc....

Walked one block to the tram line (2 and 5 go straight to the Rijksmuseum), taxi on the return was about 12 euros.

Dear Guest,

It is wonderful to read such positive feedback as yours and I am very thankful for that.

Our aim was indeed to maintain the history and charm after the intense renovation. It is therefore our pleasure to show every day all the history that our hotel has to offer.

I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed your room so much and all its facilities as well as the central location of The Grand.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to Amsterdam.

Robert-Jan Woltering

Been to Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam? Share your experiences!