“Outstanding. If you visit Amsterdam, This is where you want to stay.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam to your Saves list
Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oudezijds Voorburgwal 197, 1012 EX Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Offer
Magnifique breakfast
Ranked #12 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Houston, Texas
“Outstanding. If you visit Amsterdam, This is where you want to stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

My wife and I have been fortunate to have been pampered at great hotels around the world. Four Seasons around the US and in Costa Rica and the Carribean; Ritz Carlton properties, Plaza, Ian Schrager hotels in NYC, Miami; and some of the outstanding luxury hotels in Paris, Italy, and throughout Europe.

This is now our favorite.

From the moment we arrived to the time we left, the pride with which the outstanding service was delivered was readily apparent and well deserved. I hope to have the attention to detail in my own work that the staff here showed in theirs.

We arrived early and while we were waiting for our room to be ready, we were served a beautiful mint tea with macaroons and madeleines in the lobby. Our butler, Burt, showed us to our apartment suites and explained the hotel and its services along the way. They offer to unpack for you while you explore the city; perhaps a service we will take advantage of at our next visit (they will also pack for you before you leave, as well).

We traveled from the US with a young child (13 months old), which can be an adventure in and of itself; the hotel made it such a pleasure, and we know it took quite some effort. From the carefully prepared crib in our room with the beautiful toiletries just for infants to the simple touches like making sure a child's high chair was always waiting for us at the breakfast brunch, care was taken to consider our child's comfort just as much as ours. The infant towel they had for him was beautiful (we'll hopefully post a photo in the traveler's pictures area) and we hope to purchase it for ourselves.

The food was excellent, and on one of the final days we had a high tea prepared for us in the apartment suite; again, we'll attempt to post the photos, but needless to say it was a gorgeous setting that created a wonderful ambience. Moreover, the chef prepared a beautiful chocolate mousse dish for our son with the mousse in the shape of a small mouse and the mango pieces as carefully carved cheese blocks. These people really know no bounds in catering to your whims and desires. As we had family members visiting which included 4 generations (my son, his mother and aunts, his grandmother, and his great-grandmother), the tea was an experience which we know all of our family will remember as a fond gathering with outstanding service.

They have a nice spa and exercise area which we took advantage of; the pool was perfect for swimming short laps or enjoying a dip with our son.

The room itself that we were upgraded to was a beautiful apartment suite overlooking a canal, and with a small outdoor balcony with sitting area. Living area with a dining table was separated from our bedroom by two beautiful, heavy wood sliding doors that allowed us to enjoy room service or an espresso while our son slept peacefully. We actually enjoyed the Nespresso machine so much that we bought our own upon our return. We also looked to buy porcelain espresso and coffee cups as well designed as theirs.

Hotel amenities and events are luxurious and quite interesting. If you get the opportunity, take them up on their flight of Dutch brandies with Beemster cheese. I've never tried them before, but I certainly will again.

Location is very central and within walking distance to basically any part of Amsterdam you would like to visit. The train station is also a short 10-15 minute walk, easy for day trips to wherever you'd desire (we traveled to visit family in Alkmaar).

As for value, this is not a cheap, bargain hotel we visited from the 17th to the 22nd of March. That being said, we would have likely paid double what we were charged for this quality and attention to detail in a hotel (and have paid double in other hotels around the world). They even had a nice breakfast of yogurt, fresh fruit, and pastries ready for us to take upon our departure to the airport. To us, it was an outstanding bargain for what was given, and having that positive experience of being treated fairly and generously only adds to our determination to return.

We are certain that there are other wonderful luxury hotels and/or intriguing hotels with much character in Amsterdam. However, there is only one place we will be staying upon our return, and we would even consider making a special trip just to stay and be pampered by all the great staff who make this the finest hotel we have had the fortune to visit.

You should too.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

What a delight it is to read your review! I am very grateful that you dedicated some of your time to writing commentaries on all aspects of your experience at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. Thank you.

I will most certainly share your thoughts with the entire staff and with Bart in particular. I am proud to read their attentiveness made your stay a memorable experience and a comfortable and enjoyable (first?) trip for your son.

Surely, you made the most of your stay among us by tasting the Dutch cheese, enjoying the afternoon tea served in your suite and by visiting the So Spa.

We all look forward to having the pleasure to welcome you back in a near future.

A bientot,

Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

Like others, I almost did not stay here because of the negative comments about proximity to the red light district and noise. We are on the 3rd floor, overlooking the canal and it is lovely. No noise at all. The red light district is not close - you have to make an effort to get there. We have stayed previously at the Fusion Suites and although liked it very much, we wanted to be a bit more central and have more amenities. The Fusion is really a B&B. The Sofitel is very comfortable, and although a larger luxury hotel it retains it dutch feeling. The area is lovely and central to everything. I was on my own a good deal as my husband was attending a conference and at no time did I worry about walking on my own or around the area of this hotel. The concierge has sent us to wonderful restaurants (not touristy ones - more where the dutch would eat). the staff are very friendly and always remember our names. After a long day walking, I truly appreciated the long deep bathtub. If you want a cute canal house - this is not for you but if you want luxury, amenities, excellent staff and a great location, then look at the Sofitel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelLegendTGA, Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Bonjour madame & monsieur,

Thank you for taking the time to share you feedback, I am delighted to read you got to know our Ambassadors, and the concierges in particular, as an excellent team.

It also a pleasure to learn you enjoyed your stay in the city centre of Amsterdam and especially in The Grand. I have to agree with you that even though it’s close to the Red Light District, the hotel is in fact located in the most authentic and beautiful part of Amsterdam.

Should you plan to visit Amsterdam again, may I inform you we also have 14 uniquely designed Suite Apartments available, converted 17th century canal houses that combine the luxury and amenities of the hotel with the coziness of your own apartment (they have great bath tubs as well!).

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Best regards,

Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Ignore the reviews saying this hotel is in the red light district and a seedy part of the city. It is a beautiful hotel, in its own courtyard. My wife and I walked all over Amsterdam from the hotel, and never felt we were in an undesirable area. The staff were very helpful, the rooms were lovely, well equipped and a good size. The fish restaurant was well worth visiting as well, with some really tasty dishes. Highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments you gratified us with! We are honoured by such compliments.

We look forward to welcoming you again, over your next visit to Amsterdam.

Stavanger, Rogaland, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We arrived on Thursday and were welcomed by the doorman. Checking was easy but we were not shown to our room and the presentation of the hotel services and facilities was all too brief. The room was a good size and well maintained and the housekeeper was always on hand to assist if necessary. We have no complaints regarding noise from either inside or outside the hotel in the evenings. Whilst having a quiet drink in the bar a mouse appeared around my girlfriends feet. This was reported to the barman and he joked that it was probably the cheeseboard that attracted it.

We took an hours tour on the hotel boat which was very pleasant and we were lucky enough to be the only couple. A nice trip but no narrative from the skipper.

On the whole very good but not sure the staff treat all guest alike perhaps.

Room Tip: A lot of work be carried out externally so check out the window of your room as you may be close to...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Bonjour, god morgen Mark,

First of all I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback. I can assure you I will share your comments with my team today, as your experience is of great value to us.

Mark, should your travel plans for the future include Amsterdam again, please note that it would my pleasure to take care of your reservation personally.

I hope to welcome you back soon to one of Amsterdam's most historic buildings.

Farvel,
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

Very nice hotel with very friendly staff. Clean, spacious rooms, nice bathrooms. They could have some more cushion on the pillow topper for the bed for my preference. The windows are not sound proofed. The door is not sound proofed at all. The location is said to be near Red Light district but it is actually far enough to not notice anything at all. There are often celebrities staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: The most quiet rooms are facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments about the rooms and the friendliness of our ambassadors.

At Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam we believe that your night’s rest is one of our main responsibilities. We offer you the comfort of Sofitel MyBed: a big, ultra cozy bed with feather and down duvet and top-mattress to wrap you up in soft, relaxing comfort. To seamlessly meet your personal needs, we present you with the Pillow Menu, offering five different types of pillows for your convenience. I am very sorry to learn from your comment that we did not made you fully aware of this service.

Regarding your comment about the noise pollution, as we are situated directly in the historical city centre of Amsterdam, it is very difficult to exclude all street noises. I am fully aware of this, but as a monumental building we are not allowed to place double glazing. Your advice to book a room facing the inner garden or courtyard is indeed the best choice for guests looking for a quiet stay.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Vennlig hilsen,
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

I spent 5 magical days in this hotel in January 2012... Everything from the kind door man in a front of the hotel and checking in to every single detail during my stay and checking out, was perfect... I used butler service, and it was great, everything you need, they provide... for example, I needed tickets for some really great museums, Hermitage & Van Gogh... I asked, and in 5 minutes, they provided me with the tickets, so i didn't have to wait in a long lines in front of museums... Also, few times I asked for some restaurant recommendations, and every time they told me for some excellent restaurants, they even booked me a table in some of the best restaurants in Amsterdam. Also, the hotel's restaurant, "Bridges" is one of the best restaurants I ever visited in my life, the best sea food I ever tasted...

I booked my room online, and after I arrived, I asked the staff of the hotel to show me some other rooms and suites they had available at that moment, and they were kind enough to show me...in the end, I took Junior suite... Cleanliness, bed quality (one of the most comfortable beds I ever used), the view... everything was great...

If u want to use butler service, ask for Mauricio, the best butler in the world!

This is high class hotel, very professional, very good in every single way... They are there for you, no matter what you need or ask, they can make it happen, with smile and treatment you can only imagine! If you want to stay in one of the best hotels ever, go to The Grand, you won't regret it! I ll back soon, that is for sure!

Room Tip: My junior suite was great, but heating was not so good, needed to use extra heaters...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
SofitelLegendTGA, Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing this wonderful review regarding your stay at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. It is an absolute honour to read your words about the service provided by our Butler Service Department. Especially the grand words you have written about our butler Mauricio. We always aim to cater to all our guests’ desires.

It is delightful to learn of your experience in our restaurant BRIDGES. We would also like to thank you for your remark and would like to inform you this has been taken into action

The entire team looks forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards,

Raphaël Mukarji
Director of Operations
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012 via mobile

Absolutely beautiful hotel! Felt as I'd we we're treated like royalty from the moment we stepped foot through the doors. The bed is just amazing, so so comfortable! Truly a 5 star experience.

• Stayed March 2012
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing to stay at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. We are truly honoured to read that we made you feel like royalty. Besides that, it is lovely to read that you have enjoyed our Sofitel MyBed so much during your stay.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.
Kind regards,

Raphaël Mukarji
Director of Operations

Been to Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam? Share your experiences!