This is the second time that I have stayed at this hotel. I did not write a review last time because it was in the midst of its rnovation and the issues that there were with my stay I was confident were as a result of the upheaval, I was right with a couple of exceptions
Wonderful welcom all the 5* treatment that you would expect.... even wonderful cakes to tempt you whilst you check in.
My husband and I stayed in a standard double room and my two elder sons in a twin room. Ours overlooked the central area and theirs the canal. The rooms were contemporary and stylishly decorated. Quite small but not too cramped. We only stayed one night perhaps if you were staying longer a larger room would be better. The bathroom was well equipped with a fantastic shower (I have a bee in my bonnet about poor showers). The room was a little noisy in the late evening as it overlooked the central atrium area (as do lots of the rooms in the hotel) and that is the area that the smokers from the bar escape to; we were on the 3rd floor so perhaps this is a common issue and worth asking for a room elsewhere. My sons twin room was also on the 3rd floor and they had no noise issues.
We didn’t eat a full dinner in the hotel but went out for the evening to a football match but when we came back we had a selection of cheese from and a glass of wine. The restaurant was busy and vibrant and very enjoyable. The decor was very modern and fashionable. It is clearly a dinner venue for people not resident in the hotel and doesnt have that the "hotel" atmosphere that I had expected.
The staff were attentive and pleasant and the cheese selection was fantastic as was the choice of wine by the glass..... There was also quite a large bar area adjacent to the restaurant that added to the atmosphere.
Breakfast the following day was a disappointment. Very poor selection of hot food and wheat there was came cold and had to be sent back. It was also exceptionally expensive as we had not included it in our room rate... big mistake.
Location is fantastic for everything and doormen are happy to point you in the right direction of things to see and do... All in All good hotel, certainly the best in Amsterdam.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SOFITEL LEGEND THE GRAND AMSTERDAM.Furnished with French elegance and grandeur, the hotel welcomes a variety of visitors, from the trendy Amsterdam elite to royal brides or famous international movie stars. In each of the rooms, the restaurant, the hallways and the beautiful garden terrace, design and history captivate and seduce everyone into visiting. ROOMS & SUITES.Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam offers 177 spacious rooms, including 52 luxurious suites, amongst which 14 individually designed Suite Apartments: lodgings in 17th century canal houses. The rich history of the hotel is, as naturally, incorporated into the new architectural details in many ways. WELL BEING.Access to the relaxing SoSPA is complimentary for all hotel guests. It is the ideal place to unwind and pamper yourself. SoSPA houses an indoor heated swimming pool, a private Turkish steam bath, a Jacuzzi, a sauna, private treatment rooms and a SoFIT fitness area. INSPIRED MEETINGS.The 17 fully equipped banqueting and conference rooms, five of which are listed as historic monuments, provide the ultimate venue for meetings or conferences in Amsterdam. All rooms have natural daylight and are equipped with the latest technical facilities. BRIDGES RESTAURANT.The modern and trendy fish restaurant serves dishes with an emphasis on sea food and fish, mostly Dutch organic produce with a French twist. Bridges bar and lounge are the heart of restaurant, offering exclusive wines and vintage Champagnes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, ACCOR, Orbitz, Priceline, Splendia, getaroom.com, Agoda, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Jetsetter and Tingo so you can book your Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel The Grand Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Accor The Grand Amsterdam
- Sofitel Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Sofitel