“If I had only one month to live, I would spend it at The Grand” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam to your Saves list
Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oudezijds Voorburgwal 197, 1012 EX Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Offer
Magnifique breakfast
Ranked #12 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“If I had only one month to live, I would spend it at The Grand”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

I booked my trip to the Sofitel six months in advance for a Luxury Room. When I checked in at the Hotel, they could not find my reservation so I showed them my confirmation number. They told me they didn't have any Luxury Rooms available, so they had to put me in an Opera Suite. This was a HUGE upgrade; I had a living room and a dining area and it was completely first class. The bed was amazingly comfortable. The bathroom was immaculate. The staff treated me like a king. They met exceeded my expectations for every request I made. The restaurant had incredible oysters on the half shell which were native to The Netherlands. The atmosphere is magical, you feel like you are in a different world. I felt like everything was in slow motion, time stopped. I was treated like royalty. I coming back whenver I get the chance. I am going to upload my pictures of the hotel later.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
SofitelAmsterdamTGA, Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 16, 2011
Dear Guest, we would like to thank you for sharing your positive experiences. It is an absolute pleasure to read that you enjoyed the Opera Suite and our restaurant Bridges. As well we are honoured to learn that you appreciated our service so much. We hope to welcome you back to Sofitel Legend The Grand in the near future. Sincerely, the Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

I have stayed at most of the top hotels in Amsterdam and this is def. one of them!

The location is good but it all depends on what you are doing in Amsterdam. Its very close to the red light district which can be a bit annoying if you are not into that because you will easily cross the red light district when walking around...

Lobby is quite dark but the rooms are light and the bed are SUPER comfortable!

Bed and Breakfast! This is not an B&B but its the best par of the hotel! The bed & the breakfast!

Breakfast is really really good with a huge selection of fruit and FRESH juice!

Also I think the restaurant has a michelin star or use to have, very good!

Reason why I dont give the hotel 5 stars is value, Its very expensive and its not that good! I have a few hotels in Amsterdam I prefer over this.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest, first of all we would like to thank you for posting your review. We are pleased to read you found our Sofitel My|Bed so comfortable and our restaurant Bridges very good. However, we regret to learn that you might not return to Sofitel Legend The Grand due to the value. Sincerely, the Hotel Management
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

I travel a lot and this is one of the best hotel in the world.
Everything is perfect, staff, service and room.
Location is just amazing, walking distance to a lot of major tourist destination.
As an Accor card member, this is one on the only hotel where the card was recognized and acknowledge.
Well do not hesitate, if you go to Amsterdam this is the place you want to stay.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, first of all, we would like to thank you for posting your feedback as an experienced traveler about your stay at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. We are honored to read that you described our staff, service and room as perfect. We also would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your loyalty as an A|Club card member. We hope to welcome you back soon. Sincerely, the Hotel Management
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

This was our first stop of three Sofitel properties in our Honeymoon trip. We arranged a chauffeured airport pick up through the concierge desk. Sufian and Duncan were fantastic in making our accommodations and reservations. They were both friendly, knowledgable, and made great recommendations. Our driver, Ricardo, also pointed out places of interest and was very easy to talk to, making our drive sitting in 5 o'clock traffic, very comfortable.
When we checked in, we upgraded to a Junior Suite. The bathroom was modern and clean, and the hotel carries the Hermes' product line. Our room came with two twin bed pushed together - very interesting, but we ended up really liking it. We did the breakfast buffet at their restaurant, Bridges, one of the mornings. It was quite expensive at almost $50 a person, but my husband thought it was well worth it. We decided to also have dinner there one of the nights, as Bridges we read, was highly rated, with stellar reviews as a seafood restaurant. I didn't think the menu was impressive, just carried items that we are not normally accustomed like octopus ink in pasta. For the amount of money we spent, I've had better seafood in Vegas. It was probably just not our cup of tea.
For 4 nights, we slept amazing, with no interruptions. We were located on the 4th floor, near the elevators, and our room faced the canal. Upon check out, our wonderful experience at Sofitel The Grand Amsterdam came to an abrupt halt. We were presented with a hotel bill that was outrageously expensive. When we reviewed the charges we found a random breakfast added to our bill for an amount of 296 euros! After showing the front desk agent, she removed the charge without a glance. Even with the removal of almost a $400 breakfast, something still didn't seem right about the bill. We decided to pay it, and figure out the charges when we weren't trying to catch a plane to our next destination. Upon reviewing the bill again, our original reservation was booked by paying in advance for 3 nights, and getting the 4th one for free. It was than I saw the 4th night's charge on our bill, another 350 euros. After calling back to inform them of the charges that needed to be reversed, we were met with hesitancy on the hotel's part. We were told that the room we were in didn't offer a fourth night free, but rather 25% off each night. I won't get into details on the conversation I had with the hotel's room reservations supervisor being that it was the same person who told me this ridiculous excuse was also the person who confirmed my reservation for a buy 3 nights, get the 4th one for free, but after being hit with another 104 euro charge, I lost my patience and demanded to speak with the hotel manager. Had we not taken the time to review our bill and press for the corrections to be made, the Sofitel Amsterdam was going to charge us almost a $1,000 extra!!!! I felt like I was dealing with a bunch of crooks on my honeymoon! We loved our experience at the the Sofitel right up until the end. We will definitely be back to Amsterdam, just not sure if it will be back to the Sofitel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
SofitelAmsterdamTGA, Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 19, 2011
Dear Guest, first of all we would like to thank you for staying with us for such a special occasion. We are pleased to learn that you appreciated the service of our Concierge and that you enjoyed your room, but we sincerely regret to read the experience you had upon your departure. Therefore we hope to have the opportunity to speak with you in person regarding your experience. Please feel free to contact us directly anytime with your telephone number and we will contact you at your convenience. Yours sincerely, the Hotel Management
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

My favorite hotel in Amsterdam. This is a truly Grand hotel. It is within an easy walk from Centraal Station. 2 blocks to the Dam Square, many museums are walkable, the Anne Frank House and the Flower Market are also walkable.
Bridges Restaurant within the hotel is excellent, particularly for seafood. They have a good wine list which includes a few selections from Holland as well. The central courtyard is delightful in warm months for dining or a drink. The lobby bar area is quiet, relaxing and has good selection of single malts.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the canal. The rooms on the courtyard side are a bit quieter.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
SofitelAmsterdamTGA, Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 10, 2011
Dear Guest, we would like to thank you for sharing your positive review and your room tip. We are very pleased that you found the location of the hotel to be so convenient and that you enjoyed the food and wines offered by our restaurant Bridges. We hope to welcome you back to Sofitel Legend the Grand Amsterdam soon. Yours, the Hotel Management
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011 via mobile

I travel a lot and stay in lots of hotels for fun and work.

This hotel is amazing! I always pay attention to the service and here I was amazed. It was a dream!

Please note that The Netherlands is a country were generally the client is almost never first even if you spend considerable amounts of money, i.e., Metz & Co in Amsterdam - worst client service ever. Don't bother to visit.

So with that said that this hotel makes yout stay lovely!! The staff puts attention to every detail.

Everybody is friendly, attentive and food and quality are great.

Loved room service and I was amazed by the service at the restaurant too. They have delicious sea food.

During our stay, We got three times drinks from the house.

We got upgraded so we stayed the first night in a suite and it was perfect! Living room, dinning room. Big bathroom and lovely room with walk in closet. We can't complain at all.

We couldn't leave the hotel after the great expirience. And we literally didn't leave the hotel since we went from room to great restaurant and bar and then decided to stay another night.

This time we got a normal room and still we enjoyed it very much. Thanks to the good attitude of staff.

This hotel is well located since its in the middle of the center and still gives you the relax feeling. If you want to make use of the spa book it in advance because it could be very busy.

It is quite expensive but it's more than worth it. You won't regret it.

• Stayed November 2011
Dear Guest, we would like to thank you for sharing your experiences. We are honoured that you found our service to be outstanding. It is also a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed both your rooms and that you enjoyed the seafood at our restaurant Bridges. We hope to welcome you back to Sofitel Legend the Grand Amsterdam soon. Sincerely, the Hotel Management
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011 via mobile

Excellent service and amenities, the lounge is amazing, so was the brakfast. Located in close proximity to the red light area and coffee shops.

• Stayed October 2011
Dear Guest, we would like to thank you for posting your review. We are happy to read that you enjoyed our services and amenities. We are also delighted to learn that you liked the lounge in our restaurant and our breakfast. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to Sofitel Legend the Grand Amsterdam. Kind Regards, the Hotel Management

Been to Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam? Share your experiences!