“THE location to stay in Amsterdam - and the hotel is cool too” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315-331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Deal
Save €75 on select meals
Ranked #44 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
NYC, NY
“THE location to stay in Amsterdam - and the hotel is cool too”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

This was my second time to Amsterdam -- the first time I stayed at the Amrath near the train station. I much prefer this hotel. Nothing too luxe or anything, but a very cool design with comfortable rooms. But what truly makes this hotel great is its neighborhood. I am a walker of cities and explored every nook and cranny of the city proper, and found this location and the blocks that surround it THE most picturesque, with the nicest shopping, restaurants, and other Amsterdam tourist-type establishments. It is about a 10 minute walk to the Dam and about 15 minutes to the Red Light. If and when I return, I would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,
We are pleased to read that you could enjoy Amsterdam so much and that our location had a great contribution to it. Thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers. Next to this we understand that the location is important, nevertheless we are happy that we also have met your expectations regarding the hotel itself. On behalf of all of us at Hotel Pulitzer we would like to welcome you back in the future.

1,751 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Maastricht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

We used Starwood cash and points for this room, although we upgraded to the canal view for an extra 50 euro. I'm ambivalent about that decision, because I could hear all of the canalside traffic overnight, but it did not seem to bother my daughter in the least. The staff was extremely welcoming, and had a room ready for us at 13:00, instead of the normal 15:00 check-in; we were expecting to drop our bags off, so that was a pleasant surprise! Given the complexity of the layout, we were given a map of the hotel, but was assured that if we got confused, we could call on any hall phone and would be promptly rescued! This was somewhat intimidating, but not necessary as the place was not as confusing as we were led to believe.

The front desk employees were so enthusiastic to help us, providing us with goodies, maps and loads of advice. The room was bright, clean and nicely furnished, and my daughter says that the beds were the best. The bathroom was beautiful too. The art gallery lining the halls of the ground floor was beautiful, the bar and restaurant staff were as pleasant, helpful and enthusiastic as the front desk personnel. Everyone spoke perfect English, which was very helpful to us. Breakfast was generous and plentiful, and a good value for 12 euro.

Within a stone's throw of the Anne Frank House, we could easily walk to most of the city's locations or grab a tram to the places too far for eight year-old walking. Beautiful and well-located with great staff; we will definitely return.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us together with your daughter, especially the central location of the hotel, and the efforts made by all our associates including their language skills. The hotel consists of 25 canal houses which can be confusing for our guests; however we are happy that you found your way around in the hotel. It is always great to hear that we have met not only your expectations but also from your daughter. We would like to welcome you and your daughter back at our hotel.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

wife and I spent christmas week here, and it was a wonderful experience. ALL personnel exude "service"...we were treated extremely nice. OK, yes, the rooms are small, but then again it is Amsterdam. If we find ourselves in Amsterdam again, we would stay here without question. This is a fine property, and recommend it for romantic getaways. hotel is close to everything so there is no issue here. To pulitzer management: thank you for having a great staff that made us feel welcomed -- from the roommaker to the manager. Big Props to the concierge staff (for getting us good deals on tours) and to the gentleman running the bar (for providing a chicken broth - free of charge - to help me feel better after coming down with fever while there)!!! i also recomend BoCinq restaurant about a mile from the property.... enjoy Amsterdam!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for posting your review here on Tripadvisor. We always strive to offer our guests the best service and we are happy to read that we have succeeded during your stay. Your review is a great motivator, for our staff, to keep up the good work. We are limited what we can do regarding the room size as Hotel Pulitzer is regretfully related to the fact that there are strict regulations for any changes made to a preserved monument. Please don’t hesitate to contact us directly when we can be of any other assistance.
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

I was in Holland for business and spent 5 days at the Pulitzer. The staff were very friendly and all spoke English quite well, perhaps better than many native speakers. The hotel is on right on a canal and from the outside, is indistinguishable from the other canal houses that line the streets of Amsterdam. It's quaint but comfortable. It was really quite pleasant.

The hotel's website mentions that the hotel is a series of interconnected canal houses. This makes some of the hallways labyrinth-like and may not be the best choice for people who have mobility issues. However, if you're perfectly mobile, the movement from one house to another is perceptible, but adds to the charm of it all.

My room was on the 5th floor and afforded a view of the hotel's interior courtyard. Not a bad view, but a canal-side room would have been much better. However, my room was deathly quiet at night, which was a considerable bonus. The room itself was quite spacious and the vaulted ceilings made the room quite airy. The bathroom was a bit small but amenities and hardware fit nicely. The shower, however, may be too cramped for anyone even slightly taller than average. Water pressure was great, though temperature fluctuated every so slightly.

The daily bottle of water and stroopwaffle cookies were a pleasant touch. The linens and decoration were very nice and gave the room a very classy-yet-homey feel. The heating system was very efficient and lent to the coziness of the room.

The location is excellent. Three trams and several buses stop within a 1-minute walk from the hotel. From there, you can go anywhere in the city. Plus, the Anne Frank house is a 3-minute walk, as are several sights in the city. It's a tiny bit on the outskirts of the main downtown area, but it's nothing a short walk or tram ride can't cure.

A few cons:
Internet connectivity was expensive. It really irritates me when a 2-star hotel provides free internet but a member of the "Luxury Collection" of Starwood charges exorbitant fees for what is nowadays a requirement akin to running water.

I requested a queen-sized bed...and reserved just that. However, my room had two twin beds, pushed together, made with separate linens. I effectively reserved/paid for a queen bed but slept in a twin bed with another twin bed right next to me remaining unused for the duration of my stay. I feel this is highly misleading, especially to couples traveling together that may want to share a bed. The hotel really needs to advertise this more clearly on their website. But, to the hotel's credit, the bed was quite comfortable and I slept very soundly.

The elevator was unbearably slow, to the point that I rarely used it to climb all five floors; it simply wasn't worth the wait for the elevator to arrive followed by the tortoise-pace climb up to my floor.

Overall, I had a very positive experience. The cons, generally, are a Starwood Hotels issue, and not necessarily limited to the Pulitzer, so I suggest potential guests take that into account when looking at the Pulitzer. It is a beautiful hotel and I would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for your detailed description of your experience at Hotel Pulitzer, this will help other travelers. We are delighted to read that you have had a memorable stay with us and that you would stay with us again. Your comfort and satisfaction are very important to us, and we value you as our guest. All of our rooms are different in shape and size since the hotel consists of 25 canal houses which will provide our guests a unique experience in Amsterdam. Although the canal houses are linked with each other by stairs, hallways and elevators we have rooms on the ground floor which are perfect for guests who are not comfortable with stairs. It is nice to read that you found the rooms homely as this is very important for us to create a “home” away from home for all our guests. We appreciate your thoughts to improve our product and service. We will take your comment in mind for in the future regarding the internet. Furthermore we also have a multiple computers in our lobby which provides the opportunity for our guests to use the internet free of charge. We have Queen size beds which consists of one mattress. We are sorry that you have received the wrong bed type with regards to the booked bed type. We have discussed this with the relevant department. With reference to the elevator our technical department will have a look if they are able to influence this. Once again thank you so much for your time and we are happy to welcome you back in the future. Please don’t hesitate to contact us when we can be of any other assistance to you.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011 via mobile

Couple, stayed for a few days, super clean as you'd expect from Starwood and perfect location. Clean safe neighborhood, close to everything in Amsterdam: farmers market, central station, Anne Frank, all restaurants and trendy Haarlemstraat.

Expensive but worth it if you want American hotel room sizes and the keys to the city.

• Stayed October 2010
Dear Valued Guest,
It was a pleasure to read your review here on Tripadvisor. We are happy that you have had a memorable stay with us due to the cleanliness in the hotel and the location. I would like to advise you to keep an eye on website for our promotions. We would like to welcome you back at our hotel in the future.
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

I stayed at the Pulitzer last April for a week with my teenaged daughter. We had a wonderful experience but I wouldn't have written it up had I not found myself on Trip Advisor once again, looking for a hotel in another city. I am remembering how difficult reading the reviews makes the process of picking a hotel. Last year we had read a review of the Pulitzer where the author claimed to have found a tick on the bed. Though it became a kind of joke, I remember that it made us pause at the time. Anyway, I was surprised to see that the Pulitzer was not higher up on the list of Amsterdam hotels so I decided to write this.

The staff was wonderful. I had trouble with my knee at the time and they made sure I had a room that did not require having to do any stairs. We were on the second floor and faced the canal and were just to the side of the entrance. The room was lovely. The bathroom modern and clean. We purchased tickets to museums through the front desk and they were very helpful with suggesting walking routes. We had room service a few nights and we both enjoyed the food. We loved the breakfast. It was a great location. I'm so glad we didn't end up staying in the busier part of town. The hotel is in the midst of the "9 Streets" (I think that's what they were called) and there were dozens of charming shops and places to eat. I think I remember having to pay for the internet but perhaps that has changed.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,
I am very happy to hear that you found us, Hotel Pulitzer, to be a good choice for your visit together with your daughter. Many thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts here on Tripadvisor. It is great to read your review.
We always strive to offer every guest with the best service. Nevertheless every guest has his own expectations and therefore experience. We are pleased that you found our service & room wonderful and that we have met your expectations. If there is anything else you would like to share, please do not hesitate to let me know.
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

Friendly staff...clean rooms, old world charm...that is what this hotel is all about.
Even know it is a Starwood brand hotel, it feels very boutique.
The staff is attentive and willing to help at any moment.
Amsterdam is a great city!
We hope to return soon!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here on Tripadvisor. We are delighted to hear your nice comments about our hotel especially about our staff, cleanliness and charm of the hotel. We are all looking forward to welcome you back at Hotel Pulitzer during your next stay in Amsterdam.

Alex van Gastel

Been to Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!