“Quiet elegance” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel

You added Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315-331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #49 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
San Francisco, California
“Quiet elegance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

Constructed out of several historical buildings on one of Amsterdam's most important and pleasant canals, this hotel provides an elegant stay, while feeling very much a part of the old city. The hotel is physically quirky, with lots of stairs and connectors between the old buildings. The rooms are all different. i have heard that some are quite small, but ours was a very pleasant size for a European hotel. The staff were absolutely wonderful, especially the coffee bar man who offered much of the city's color. I particularly liked the two courtyards on the ground level for morning coffee or an evening wine. The location is central but also quiet.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2010
Dear valued guest,

It was wonderful to read your comments about your stay with us, especially the compliments about our attentive associates and the atmosphere and calmness of our garden areas. I have shared your compliments with the entire team and hope to see you again soon, sitting with a cup of coffee in our ‘espresso garden’.

Alex van Gastel - Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
ferndale, michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

Upon checking into the hotel the room given was in the back of the hotel off of "Elevator B." It was rather small but not a problem as I've been to Amsterdam many times and anyone who has knows space is at a premium. That said, this is a "premium hotel" and it should be expected. That said, we paid for the most inexpensive rooms and that's what we got. This first room though small, was adequate, but had no view, only of a the other hallways and the elevator. Still, for what we paid, I was ok with this. The problem was the bathroom which was very tiny. The shower head attachment was broken so it would slide down to waist level. The shower curtain was not what I would call luxurious by any stretch. And then, in this particular room (don't remember the room number... 170 something?) there was an awful odor. I've read other reviews saying that they've smelled something similar. Having been to Amsterdam there is often this canal old water kind of smell from the drain and that's I think what this was. Luckily when I complained the upgraded us to a much better room and that is where the attached pictures are from. And that was a totally different experience.

In the new room we had three windows overlooking the Prinsengracht canal. It was a large room with a luxurious bathroom and beamed ceilings and really just an incredible arrangement. I imagine that this room was not even close to our price range.

Long story short, I've been to the city many times and if you are trying to book their most inexpensive room I would opt for renting an apartment or a houseboat, which won't have the service that this hotel has, but will have a larger more authentic feel. That said, if you can spend, this hotel is really quite nice.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear valued guest,

I am sorry to read that we could not meet your expectations with regards to the first room you stayed in. Our engineering department already checked the pipes and drains in the part of the building you stayed in to improve our rooms for future guests and I would like to offer you my apologies for the inconveniences this may have caused. However, I am pleased to read that you fully enjoyed the comfort and the spectacular view of the canal view room which was offered to you. I hope to welcome you again soon in Hotel Pulitzer and we will do our utmost best to provide you a room which meet your full satisfaction.

Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

The Pulitzer is a member of the Starwood Luxury Collection and it lives up to the name. Lodgings were first rate, staff was helpful and 100% English speaking, location is excellent, and the buffet breakfast is as good as it gets without an omelet station.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing you experiences at Hotel Pulitzer here on tripadvisor. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the comfort of our guestrooms and the efforts made by our associates, including their language skills. With regards to your comments about the breakfast buffet, please be informed that our breakfast chef is always ready to prepare any additional dishes such as omelet or poached eggs upon request without any additional charge. Therefore, please do not hesitate to inform our associates if they can be of any further assistance during your next stay. I am already looking forward to welcome you back here in Amsterdam.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

I can definitely recommend the Pulitzer hotel in Amsterdam as it is in a central location of the city, providing luxurious rooms. It is quite pricy, but worth it. Designed in typical Starwood style (like Sheraton), and very clean and charming (it's in a very old building) it provides the perfect environment for a rather romantic vacation.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Dear valued guest,

I am pleased to read your comments about your stay at Hotel Pulitzer, especially the compliments with regards to the interior of the hotel and its characteristic style. We always do our utmost best to make you, as a valued guest, feel at home and I am glad that we were able to meet all your expectations. Your complements have been shared with the entire team we are looking forward to welcome you back during your next stay in Amsterdam.

South East London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

After the disappointment of our week in the sun being cancelled, we found a great deal with BA to fly to Amsterdam and stay at the Pulitzer for 3 nights. We have stayed in this wonderful city before but never at this lovely hotel. Location is superb and very easy to find (we walked from Centraal Station and it took about 20 mins, but you can get the tram or stop/go bus). Although we hadn't booked it, we were given a canal view room. Light and spacious (for a city centre hotel), plenty of room even when my 13 year old's (very comfy) extra bed was put into the room. Bathroom small but lovely with everything you need including bathrobes (just pack your toothbrushes and toothpaste!). Bottle of water and cookies in your room every day. Breakfast was fabulous with loads of choice, both continental and cooked, lots of fruit, yogurts etc. The best thing about this hotel, though, is the staff. Friendly, helpful - nothing is too much trouble. Cannot fault this place. We all absolutely loved it.

Lots of lovely shops and bars very close by in the Jordaan District and within the famous "Nine Streets". Only about 50 metres from Ann Frank House but book your tickets in advance on the internet so you don't have to queue (2 hour waits not unusual). We also booked Van Gogh Museum in advance - again, queues can be long, especially if the weather is wet. Your tickets are open, so you can go any time, any day. We also did the Yellow BIke tour of the city - see my separate review. Also, do go to the Van Loon Museum, lovely canal house.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Dear valued guest,

It was with pleasure that I read your comments about your recent stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed the authentic character of your canal view room and the efforts made by our associates. I have shared your compliments with the entire team and we are all looking forward to welcome you back here in Amsterdam.

Alex van Gastel
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

I thought this hotel was pleasant, and it had a great location. I didn't rate the service because I didn't really interact with anyone at the hotel. At least not enough to warrant a rating. Overall I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel.

I only had one issue that I would like to bring up. We had an executive suite. The room was was cluttered and small. We really had no where to put our things comfortably. I am not one to nit-pick about things, but I felt that it was too small for a suite. I would have enjoyed my stay more if I could comfortably unpack my things. Perhaps the other rooms are better. We had an odd one off to the side that was by itself.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Dear valued guest,

As we are constantly trying to improve our service, your feedback is highly appreciated and I am thankful that you took the time to share your experiences. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the central location of the hotel between the Prinsengracht and the Keizergracht. With regards to the room size, please be informed that all our rooms have a unique shape and size since the hotel is situated within 25 different 17th century canal houses. We will do our utmost best to provide you with a larger room to store all your personal belongings comfortably during your next stay with us. On behalf of the entire team of Hotel Pulitzer, I am looking forward to welcome you back again soon.

Devonport, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

Great place to stay, friendly staff, great location. very nice rooms.

Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing your experiences on tripadvisor. I am delighted to read that you fully enjoyed your stay with us. I have shared your compliments with the entire team and we are looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Alex van Gastel - Hotel Manager

Been to Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!