“Small - but luxurious!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam

You added Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315 - 331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel)   |
Ranked #49 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Small - but luxurious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

I can definitely recommend the Pulitzer hotel in Amsterdam as it is in a central location of the city, providing luxurious rooms. It is quite pricy, but worth it. Designed in typical Starwood style (like Sheraton), and very clean and charming (it's in a very old building) it provides the perfect environment for a rather romantic vacation.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, September 12, 2010
Dear valued guest,

I am pleased to read your comments about your stay at Hotel Pulitzer, especially the compliments with regards to the interior of the hotel and its characteristic style. We always do our utmost best to make you, as a valued guest, feel at home and I am glad that we were able to meet all your expectations. Your complements have been shared with the entire team we are looking forward to welcome you back during your next stay in Amsterdam.

Alex van Gastel - Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
South East London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

After the disappointment of our week in the sun being cancelled, we found a great deal with BA to fly to Amsterdam and stay at the Pulitzer for 3 nights. We have stayed in this wonderful city before but never at this lovely hotel. Location is superb and very easy to find (we walked from Centraal Station and it took about 20 mins, but you can get the tram or stop/go bus). Although we hadn't booked it, we were given a canal view room. Light and spacious (for a city centre hotel), plenty of room even when my 13 year old's (very comfy) extra bed was put into the room. Bathroom small but lovely with everything you need including bathrobes (just pack your toothbrushes and toothpaste!). Bottle of water and cookies in your room every day. Breakfast was fabulous with loads of choice, both continental and cooked, lots of fruit, yogurts etc. The best thing about this hotel, though, is the staff. Friendly, helpful - nothing is too much trouble. Cannot fault this place. We all absolutely loved it.

Lots of lovely shops and bars very close by in the Jordaan District and within the famous "Nine Streets". Only about 50 metres from Ann Frank House but book your tickets in advance on the internet so you don't have to queue (2 hour waits not unusual). We also booked Van Gogh Museum in advance - again, queues can be long, especially if the weather is wet. Your tickets are open, so you can go any time, any day. We also did the Yellow BIke tour of the city - see my separate review. Also, do go to the Van Loon Museum, lovely canal house.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Dear valued guest,

It was with pleasure that I read your comments about your recent stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed the authentic character of your canal view room and the efforts made by our associates. I have shared your compliments with the entire team and we are all looking forward to welcome you back here in Amsterdam.

Alex van Gastel
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

I thought this hotel was pleasant, and it had a great location. I didn't rate the service because I didn't really interact with anyone at the hotel. At least not enough to warrant a rating. Overall I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel.

I only had one issue that I would like to bring up. We had an executive suite. The room was was cluttered and small. We really had no where to put our things comfortably. I am not one to nit-pick about things, but I felt that it was too small for a suite. I would have enjoyed my stay more if I could comfortably unpack my things. Perhaps the other rooms are better. We had an odd one off to the side that was by itself.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Dear valued guest,

As we are constantly trying to improve our service, your feedback is highly appreciated and I am thankful that you took the time to share your experiences. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the central location of the hotel between the Prinsengracht and the Keizergracht. With regards to the room size, please be informed that all our rooms have a unique shape and size since the hotel is situated within 25 different 17th century canal houses. We will do our utmost best to provide you with a larger room to store all your personal belongings comfortably during your next stay with us. On behalf of the entire team of Hotel Pulitzer, I am looking forward to welcome you back again soon.

Devonport, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

Great place to stay, friendly staff, great location. very nice rooms.

Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for sharing your experiences on tripadvisor. I am delighted to read that you fully enjoyed your stay with us. I have shared your compliments with the entire team and we are looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

My friend and I had stayed in Amsterdam before and chose a hotel that we ended up being unhappy with, so it was with trepidation that we chose the Pulitzer.

We were incredibly delighted and relieved with our choice. The Pulitzer faces one of the canals, is on a quiet street and has a lovely spacious lobby. The staff greet you in a very Americanized smiley/happy way, which is something I love. Very genial and pleasant without any air of falseness about them. We were checked in very quickly.

Whenever I check into a hotel I always request to be placed in a room on a high floor, as far away from the lift as possible and in a corner room if there's one available. This ensures you're going to get a quiet room, with little outdoor foot traffic and because it's on a corner might only share one wall with another hotel room. Sometimes this technique works, sometimes it doesn't. This time it most certainly did.

Our room was accessed through several corridors, small stairs up and down, around a corner, up more stairs and then onto a small landing that we shared with only one other room across the hall. We never once heard any other guests. The room had incredibly high ceilings (for a top floor room) where the attic had been converted and broken through from the floor below, where our room was. It was airy and bright and felt very spacious.

The bathroom was small and had a bath with a step-in shower, which I never like, but it was certainly adequate.

Any staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. Any of the room service staff that came to our room were gracious, smiley and polite. The concierge was very helpful and informative.

The hotel is a stones throw from Anne Frank's house, so there are plenty of bars, restaurants and convenience stores around the corners.

I found the price to be very reasonable, certainly not extortionate. I would have given this a 5 star review but for the bathroom.

One last tip - we were able to access a wireless network from the surrounding area that didn't have a password so we could go online the entire time for free.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, August 30, 2010
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking some time to share you feedback on tripadvisor. I am delighted to read that you had a pleasant stay with us and enjoyed the authentic character of the room you stayed in and the service provided by our associates. I have shared your compliments with the entire team and we all hope to welcome you back in the near future.

New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

We stayed three nights at the Pulitzer prior to our cruise departure. We booked a family duplex room which was comprised of a lower level that had a double bed and an upper alcove with two beds for our children. We had a room with a canal view which was a nice treat. The room had a high cieling which made it feel larger. The alcove area covered about 1/3rd of the room so there was plenty of space. (Note, the room did give my wife and me some privacy but not the kind of privacy you might want if intending to have some couple time.)

What I liked:

The location was perfect. About a 3 minute walk to the Anne Frank House (for reference purposes.) Very easy to walk to most parts of Central Amsterdam such as the Flower Market, Dam Square, Vondelpark, and Van Gogh Museum. Numerous restaurants within 15 minute walk.

Staff was very friendly. The lovely young ladies at the check-in desk gave my daughter a box of cookies when we arrived. The bellman were very polite even though they needed to lug several large suitcases up and down several steps to get to our room.

Breakfast was good (mostly.) Reasonably good selection at the buffet (which was included in our room rate) and generally helpful staff. There was one morning however where they seemed overwhelmed. We arrived towards the end of the breakfast service and they had no clean plates, numerous tables hadn't been cleared, and we had to ask our server several times for coffee. That perhaps was a function is just a really busy morning and one waiter who seemed to be dragging the rest down as he seemed to do nothing but walk in circles.

Room was comfortable and full bathroom with tub was helpful with two young kids. Hotel had several little outdoor garden areas which were pleasant. We only had one drink at the bar but would have enjoyed a few more as the room was nicely decorated and comfortable.

Things to be aware of that could be viewed badly:

While the Pulitzer is part of the Luxury Collection it in reality is just a step below that designation, I think. If your definition of luxury leads you to expect something on par with the Peninsula in Hong Kong or the Crillon in Paris, you're likely to be disappointed. The Pulitzer for us was exactly what we wanted in terms of room size and boutique feel. But, it should not be considered a 5-star, ultra luxury hotel.

Hotel offer to arrange transportation was significantly above the cost of doing it ourselves. Prior to departure we inquired with the hotel about the cost of their arranging transportation from Schipol to the hotel and from the hotel to the Amsterdam cruise terminal. While I don't recall the exact amount, I believe the trip from the airport was as much as 50% more than what was available by booking with Schipol Travel Taxi on-line. Cost of a cab from hotel to the cruise port was a fraction of the pre-arranged cost. The cost difference can likely be attributed to the difference between private limo transportation and other options like taxis. Not stating this as a criticism of the hotel staff but merely as information if using the Pultizer and considering the best transportation options.

If heading to Amsterdam with children, the family rooms are a very good option. We would stay there again, either with or without our kids without hesitation.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Dear valued guest,

I truly appreciate that you are taking some of your time to share your comments here on tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the authentic character of the room you stayed in and the efforts made by our associates to make your stay one to remember. I am sorry to read about your experience at breakfast. I already discussed your feedback with our food and beverage department to prevent this from happening again. It is nice to read that you would stay with us again and I truly hope you will.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

A major draw of this hotel is its picturesque location and I was promised a view when booking, so I was very disappointed with my small, dark bedroom with its 'view' of corridors and the lift. The bathroom was tiny with just a shower - and it smelt of drains! There was no tea, coffee, biscuits etc, just one small bottle of mineral water and a minibar. For the approx £300 charged for the cramped room (excluding breakfast), this felt very mean. Also the maid disturbed me in the morning, way before check-out time.
From descriptions, I expected the lobby and other public areas to have a charming, boutique-hotel decor and ambience. Unfortunately, the feel is much more anodyne, like an international/American hotel - but with low ceilings and a few beams.
Also we had to wait a long time to check in and then weren't able to see the rooms.
The only positive aspect was that the bed was comfortable and clean. Also the staff are quite efficient. However, this hotel thinks it's a lot better than it really is; it offers poor value.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us. I am sorry to read that we could not meet your expectations with regards to the room you stayed in. Since the hotel consists of 25 historical canal houses, all our rooms are different in shape and size. However, it was never our intention to give you a dissatisfied feeling and would like to offer you my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. I hope to welcome you back at Hotel Pulitzer and extend you the five star service you were expecting.

Alex van Gastel - Hotel Manager

Been to Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam? Share your experiences!