“Great location, great beds, expensive internet, rude bartender” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam

You added Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315 - 331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel)   |
Ranked #48 of 353 Hotels in Amsterdam
San Francisco, California
“Great location, great beds, expensive internet, rude bartender”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

Location was great. Walked everywhere from the hotel - all over Amsterdam. Saw all major museums and cultural places. Nightlife and RLD minutes away as are many restaurants. Also a bunch of great shops are close by as well. I took the tram from the central amsterdam and it was basically 3 stops away. Superb location; I felt very safe walking around by myself at night! BTW The IAmsterdam card is well worth it.

The bed was superbly comfortable and room was large (for Europe) with excellent shower. Very clean. However Internet was expensive at 20 Euro per day!

The bartender in the hotel was very rude to me. I went in and had not decided what beer/drink I wanted yet and sat down in one of the chairs, watching the TV. The bar was empty at the time (maybe 4 other people in it). I noticed someone had left their bag at the bar. So I told the bartender that someone left their bag - and he told me "so! who cares and why do you care." I couldn't believe it! He then went on to tell me "Either order something or get out. You can sit in the hotel lobby if you don't want to spend money." I was pretty angry at his tone with me and I left the bar and complained at the front desk - they told me that his behavior was unacceptable, but no reparations were made or offered.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 15, 2010
Dear valued guest,

I am very delighted to read that you appreciated the location, beds and cleanliness of our hotel. I regret to read your story about the bartender. I am seriously surprised that this was happening in our Hotel and I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused t you. At Hotel Pulitzer we do our best to make you, as a valued guest, feel at home and we try our best to accommodate any wishes you might have. Therefore I take this kind of feedback very serious to prevent this from happening again. Hopefully we will get the chance to show you that these are not our standards.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

This was our second stay at the Pulitzer; we liked the location and enjoyed our first experience. We were happy to pay a luxury price for a luxury experience.

But on the first night (June 2) we were awoken about 11 pm by people entering the room above and making a good deal of noise as they apparently moved in, for about 45 minutes. It was irritating, but we understand that late arrivals occur. The wooden floors transmit footsteps, especially shoe-steps, to the room below much more than carpet would. (note the previous review) We got back to sleep after midnight.

On the second evening, about 6 pm while we were relaxing before dinner, they came back to the room and were very noisy, both heavy continuous walking and argumentative talking. After 30 minutes, we were very concerned about the prospects for later in the night, so my husband went down to speak to the desk about getting a different room. No other room was offered, but security went up to tell them to be quiet--we could hear him at their door and then they were quiet.

After coming back for dinner and going to sleep, we were awoken at 2 am by more loud noise. At 2:30 my husband went back down to the desk to request help. We could then hear the knock at their door to again tell them to be be quiet. This was nearly 3 am.

They were quiet then, but we did not get back to sleep and had to be up before 6 in order to eat and make our plane.

So both of our nights' sleep were interrupted, the second ruined, by this repeated noise. The only compensation we were offered was waiver of the 19 euro (rip-off) internet fee. So I asked to be contacted by the manager.

His email: "Of course it is not good to read that you have had some inconvenience during your stay. I did some research myself about your complaint. The guest above you gave the hotel in general a lot of trouble. It is not an excuse from our side but only that you are aware what happened and that this is an exceptional and unfortunate incident. I do have to say that indeed the wooden floors give somewhat more noise than carpet but this was a situation we almost never experience. On a next visit we will give you a nice upgrade. Also I will give you 5000 SPG points."

My response: You acknowledge that the wooden floors are noisy and that the guests above us created other problems. Your offer is for a future upgrade and hotel points that are worth about 1/3 of one night's stay at your hotel. We paid 689 euros for these two nights, both of which our sleep was interrupted or ended. $848.

His response: "From your reply I get the impression you feel offended by the email I send you. This was however never the intention of my email. The reason why we do not give you back a full night complementary is because the inconvenience is not directly caused by the hotel. Another guest has made the disturbance and we as a hotel took our responsibility and took action where needed. As we do appreciate your feed-back and are sorry that your stay was not up to your expectation due to the noise disturbance, we would like to offer you 8000 SPG points for the inconvenience caused including a free upgrade on your next visit. We do feel this a very reasonable gesture on our side."

Starwood replied, when contacted by us, that the hotel had responded sufficiently.

So if you get lucky in your neighbors you may have a fine stay. But tough luck if your neighbors are ACKNOWLEDGED problem types--apparently you're expected to make them be quiet on your own.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear valued guest,

I would like to thank you for taking some of your valuable time to leave your feedback here on Tripadvisor. It is your feedback that helps us improve our products and services. I regret to read that your stay with us did not entirely meet your expectations regarding the noise from the room above you. Again I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you. At Hotel Pulitzer we do our best to make you, as a valued guest, feel at home and we try our best to accommodate any wishes you might have. Hopefully we will get the chance to welcome you back and rebuild your trust in Hotel Pulitzer.

Los Altos, CA (USA)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

As other reviews have noted, the Pulitzer's location is superb! Our room had a canal view, and from the 4th floor perch we could watch the city go by on the water. The fact that several row houses were put together gives the hotel a very different structure and meant going up/down short flights of stairs to get to our room. Not a burden, unless one was dragging suitcases. The biggest drawback was the closet space. Two women beginning a month-long vacation...and about 12 inchoes of usable space for hanging clothes! We asked for and got -- after a full day of waiting -- a rolling rack for clothes which helped a lot. Also, the floors are wooden which is fine except when we had an apparent army of kids above us jumping, running, banging well into the night. A complaint didn't work until several calls were made...finally silence. The concierge staff, however, we really good and very helpful with recommendations for restaurants, etc. Also free Internet/use of PC in the lobby business center which was great. Breakfast in the restaurant was nice, if unremarkable. I would stay here again because of general pluses...perhaps bringing fewer clothes!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Dear valued guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts about Hotel Pulitzer here on Tripadvisor. I am very delighted to read that you have enjoined the location of our Hotel, as well that you appreciated the service provided by our associates. I have shared these thoughts with the rest of my team and they were very pleased to hear that you appreciated their efforts.
I regret to read that we did not entirely meet your expectations regarding the size of your closet and the noise from the room above you because of the wooden floor. I have shared your comments regarding the room furniture with the relevant departments. We take your feedback very serious, as it is with your feedback that we are constantly able to improve our services and its products.
Hopefully we get the chance to welcome you back in the hotel and accommodate you in a room which will be to your satisfaction.

Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

Amsterdam - if you want to experience it as any local would love to? Then you'll need to book a room in the Pulitzer. I lived five years as a student in Amsterdam and was never able to live in the city center, as rent was just unaffordable. And now I was able to stay in a hotel as pure as the Pulitzer - with it's charm of searching for your hotel room for 10 minutes! I haven't had a laugh for ages! Step up, step down - corridor in - walk over the roof in between two canal houses - steps up, there was my room! Amazing!

I hope that next investment will be a nice nespresso coffeemachine for the rooms and a cd in the Bose clockradio with more than one song (?) and than it's my dream hotel...

Waking up with the Westerkerk' clocks is just amazing!

If you want to experience Amsterdam this is your hotel - I'll not give you more hints...

My final request to the hotel: STOP greeting every guest in English. I am in The Netherlands and I speak Dutch! Why can't we greet all the guests in dutch, so that they can experience Amsterdam a bit better? We are in The Netherlands, right?

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Dear valued guest,

I would like to thank you for taking some of your valuable time to leave your feedback here on Tripadvisor. It is your feedback that helps us improve our products and services. Your comments regarding the cd in the clockradio and the coffeemachine already have been discussed with the relevant departments, as we take your feedback very serious. Thank you again for your great feedback. If you will return to Amsterdam, it would be a pleasure to accommodate you again.

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

We stayed at The Pulitzer on the last leg of our trip. After staying in Amsterdam for the first three day leg of our trip we then went to Paris for five days and then came back to Amsterdam for the remaining 2 day. These two days were spent at the Pulitzer. We had a beautiful 4th floor room overlooking the Keizersgracht canal. The room had a vaulted ceiling with the old motice and tendon beams. We would have to say thet the bed was one of the most comfortable we slept in durng our entire trip. This gem is located in the middle of Amsterdam. So it offers great convenience while at the same time is very quiet. The Pulitzer did a tremendous job with combining all these houses into one hotel. The room are very different so even though you will read good reviews like ours here, you must be aware that there are some rooms you may not want to stay in. The place is so large and with so many old homes making this beautiful place, it is quite understandable there will be one or two rooms that may not be to someones liking. The staff was polite and courteous. Roomservice was quite good and fast for having to deliver in such a maze of buildings.
I also would like to thank the staff of The Pulitzer for introducing me to karmel stroopwafels!!! Upon arrival and everyday they would leave a pack. OMG they are to die for!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear valued guest,

With a smile I am reading your very positive comments here on Tripadvisor and I am very happy you had a memorable stay at our hotel. I am very delighted to see that you have appreciated the monumental character of Hotel Pulitzer and the service provided by our associates. Thank you again for your great feedback. If you will return to Amsterdam, it would be a pleasure to accommodate you again and off course provide you with our stroopwafels!

Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

We were in Amsterdam for a few days during our Europe trip, then we went to Paris. So we've chosed Pulitzer as it as located in the city center.
No idea about other Amsterdam hotels, but this one has a perfect Dutch sence and character. Composed from 25 or 27 typical old Dutch housed Pulitzer is a true labyrinth, with a lovely yard. First time we needed about half an hour to find our room after check-in, as there are few lifts marked with different letters... But at other times it was like a sport, or game, who first would find its room :-) Also we enjoyed their breakfast with a fancy picture in the wall. Meals were great.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
AlexanderVanGastel, Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 10, 2010
Dear valued guest,

With a smile I am reading your positive comments here on Tripadvisor and I am very happy you had a memorable stay at our hotel. I am very delighted to see that you have appreciated the breakfast and menus in our restaurant. I regret to read that it took you 30 minutes to find the way to your room, please be informed that our porters are always more than happy to assist you with your luggage. Thank you again for your great feedback. If you will return to Amsterdam, it would be a pleasure to accommodate you again.

Ann Arbor, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

We stayed at Hotel Pulitzer, which was nice, but ungodly expensive. The restaurant and bar are very nice - friendly service - good food (deep dish apple pie!). The gym is small, but functional - free water and fruit! That is another nice perk, the free water left in the room.

The staff was very friendly and there's free internet on the computer in the lobby.
It's a maze of corridors though as it was originally a bunch of different residencies.

After walking around, we realized that there maybe wasn’t such a leap from hostel to upscale like our travel agent had said - there were many nice looking hotels around (at least from the outside). There was a cute place down by the park.
Stay away from the strip from Dam Square to Central Station, at least for now. It was owned by the mob and the city is in the process of re-claiming it - those hotels looked mighty sketchy. I have friends who stayed in a hostel there and got evicted!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Dear valued guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for your comment here on tripadvisor. With a smile I am reading your compliments about the friendly service and good food in the restaurant. I regret to read that you have experienced the historical and monumental character of our hotel as a weakness. With regard to the corridors, we are very limited to what can be done due to historical character of the buildings (most were built in the 1700’s), the structure and restrictions imposed by the Dutch Society for the Preservation of Monuments. However it was never our intention to give you a dissatisfied feeling. Hopefully we will get the chance to welcome you back in Hotel Pulitzer and make your stay perfect this time.

Kind regards,

Alex van Gastel – Hotel Manager

Been to Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam? Share your experiences!