“A very good accomodation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315-331, Amsterdam 1016 GZ, The Netherlands   |
Offers & Announcements
Save €75 on select meals
Ranked #46 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
“A very good accomodation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2009

A very expensive and luxurious hotel. Excellent service.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

1,747 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2009

Like many other Starwood elite members I booked a room using cash&points (I had a 22 hour layover and normally stay at the airport). I didn't expect to be upgraded to a canal-view room, but was given a quiet, cozy room on the top floor, very charming with wood floors and exposed beams. the furnishings were attractive and did not crowd the somewhat small room. The bed was amazing, the bathroom small but with heated marble floors. The hotel is very well located in a beautiful part of the city. I booked the Hotel Pulitzer because it is converted from old rowhouses and was looking for a hotel with real character, and I was not disappointed.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Konstanz, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

We're Platinum Starwood members and got upgraded to an Executive Room on the 3rd floor with no view, but the room was lovely and large with a raked ceiling. In typical European style, it had two single beds pushed together, each with their own bed linen.

We found out on the canal cruise we did that the hotel was created from 32 canal houses knocked together, so it's on VERY many levels which might not be suitable for people who aren't good with stairs. Our room was around so many twists and turns that I felt like I needed to leave a trail of string behind me to find it again.

We didn't eat at the hotel so can't comment on that. The concierge sells international papers each day (fabulous), and the staff were all very friendly and helpful.

The location is great, just down the road from Anne Frank House (a must visit) and canal boats leave from docks up and down the canal outside. We walked from the central railway station to the hotel, but only had a light bag.

We had breakfast at Sarahs Pancake house (turn right outside the hotel, then the next right onto the main street and walk a few hundred metres) and it was great. Have the bacon as a side, glorious. The ginger bread that comes with your coffee is amazing and the staff are friendly and speak good English.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
LennartMaas, Duty Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2009
Dear loyal guest,
it is a true joy to read you exciting review. Staying in Hotel Pulitzer means getting a taste of Amsterdam, how it was centuries ago and present day. You have done many things you should have done when visiting Amsterdam and it is with great pleasure to see you had a wonderful time. I thank you for your compliments and on behalf of all of us at Hotel Pulitzer, I look forward to having you as our guests again in the near future.
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2009

To be honest, this is the first Luxury Collection I've stayed in - and don't quite know what makes it one. It's got a lot of character - in terms of inter-connected houses making up the hotel. But the rooms are small-ish, amenities average and service reasonable, not great. I would probably stay here again, but only if I could get a really good package (e.g. including breakfast). Otherwise, it's nothing to go out of my way to stay at.

Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
LennartMaas, Duty Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2009
Dear loyal guest, first of all I would like to thank you for staying with us and for providing us with your valuable feedback. As feedback from our guests helps us to detect and improve critical points in our organization, this is much appreciated. As much as I am pleased to read you enjoy the architecture of Hotel Pulitzer, which consists of twenty – five canal houses, I regret we did not meet your expectations completely. At Hotel Pulitzer we always strive to go beyond the expectations of our guests and I therefore hope to see you return to Hotel Pulitzer in the near future.
Warm regards, Lennart Maas
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

I am a gold Starwood member and I usually love this brand of hotel. However, the Pulitzer was a huge disappointment. This was surprising because I had stayed in the Pulitzer about a year ago and liked it well enough to revisit. This time it was not so nice. I was charged 50 Euro for local phone calls which totaled about 20 minutes. When I checked out I was stunned by the price and asked for the manager who told me basically too bad so sad. She said there was a notice in the room and therefore I had to pay.

Funny, I never saw the notice and I can tell you that I certainly would have used my cell phone if I had. It would have been much cheaper for me to roam on my cell than use the land line. But really what ticked me off was the attitude of the manager, my husband and I spend a lot of money at Starwood and I really didn't appreciate her nastiness. Especially her sarcastic "is there anything else I can help you with" after I paid the bill.

While paying an outrageous phone bill was what tipped me over the edge, there were other things that were unsatisfactory. Everyday I was there I had to get my keys recoded as they didn't work. Housekeeping doesn't clean under the beds - which is really disgusting when you drop something and it rolls under the bed.

It also looks like they don't change out the bed skirts which was obvious when I had to lift it up to get the item that rolled under the bed. It looked like ketchup or blood had splatted down the side. And as I didn't dump anything down the side of the bed I can only assume it had been there for a while.

I can only say I will not be staying there again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
LennartMaas, Duty Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2009
Dear loyal guest,
First of all I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for staying with us again. While I am honored to read you have returned to Hotel Pulitzer in Amsterdam after your previous visit, I regret this stay did not have met your expectations completely. My colleague has personally contacted you to follow up on your stay. I hope you will give us a second chance to welcome you back in the future, so we can strive to provide you with a memorable stay.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

We stayed here on Cash & Points from SPG with 4800 points and $90 per night. (very good value in my optinion!) We tried to take a cab to the hotel from the train station, but because of a marathon that day, cars were not allowed to go on the streets. That said, we easily hopped on the 17 tram and it took us 1/2 block from the hotel. Hotel is a cute and right on the canal. Room and Bathroom were both good size. The bed was heavenly. Once you hop on the bed, you sink right into it. The staff was also friendly and helpful - making great recommendation to local restaurants. As for location, you can walk everywhere around the hotel. It's 3 minute walk from Ann Frank's house. 20-25 minute walk to the Van Gough and other Museums. It's also about at 20 minute walk to the town square and red light district.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear loyal guest,
thank you for sharing your experiences with us on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read you enjoyed staying at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, right in the middle of Amsterdam. We enjoyed having you as our guests and I am proud to read that our associates provided you with excellent service. On behalf of all of us at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, I look forward to having you as our guests again in the near future.
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

Stayed at the Pulitzer based on recommendation from a friend and was very pleased. The location is terrific. I had looked at staying at other hotels near Dam Square or the Central Station and was happy we chose this one away from the tourist crowds. Located just a couple of blocks from the Anne Frank House on a beautiful canal - it was perfect. We stayed in a deluxe room on the fifth floor. It had an exposed brick wall and wood beams on the ceiling which made it cozy. Having read that European rooms are on the small side, I was happy to find this was not the case here. We had a king size bed which was very comfortable. The bath was on the small side but updated and very clean. The heated marble floor was a real bonus. The only downside was that we didn't have a canal view but I didn't feel the extra charge was worth it. Although we didn't have breakfast included with our room I did have the buffet breakfast at the hotel. It was decent but for the price not really worth it. We did find a bakery just around the corner from the hotel which made excellent croissants and another place on the corner which serves a good inexpensive breakfast but it wasn't open on Sundays and Mondays. The hotel bar was good and they serve food as well. The hotel staff was good and very accomodating. We requested early check-in since we were arriving early in the morning (7am) and they were able to get our room ready in just about an hour after our arrival. The concierge were also very good.

From the hotel we were able to walk to all the major sites (the Van Gogh Museum was about a 15 minute walk). Out of the hotel to the left (on the corner) was a good pub. For dinner we tried the Cafe Restaurant de Reiger (guidebook recommendation) and loved it. The mussels were delicious.

A great stay at the Pulitzer and will stay again anytime I'm in Amsterdam.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
LennartMaas, Duty Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2009
Dear loyal guest,
It is a great pleasure to read your thorough feedback regarding your stay with us at Hotel Pulitzer. Your comments are not only very helpful for Tripadvisor visitors, it helps us to detect positive and perhaps negative points regarding the service we provide as well. Therefore, your detailed feedback regarding our location, your room and our breakfast facilities are highly appreciated. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your time in Amsterdam, it would be a pleasure to see you return in the future.
Lennart Maas

Been to Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!