“Amazing stay at a perfect hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315-331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Offers & Announcements
Save €75 on select meals
Ranked #45 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Amazing stay at a perfect hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel during our honeymoon. I absolutely loved this place! You must book a canal view room. This hotel is clean, comfortable, charming and in a great location. It is within walking distance to everything, but is in a nice, quiet, residential part of town. I felt very safe. The food from the hotel leaves something to be desired, but the staff is very friendly and helpful. We had to walk through what seemed like a maze to get to our room, 272. We had a very large room with a large bathroom and a beautiful canal view.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
LennartMaas, Duty Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2009
Dear loyal guest,
First of all I would like to thank you for taking some of your valuable time to provide us and future guests of Hotel Pulitzer with your feedback. I am proud to read Hotel Pulitzer made your honeymoon extra special. Hotel Pulitzer is indeed a very charming hotel, offering beautiful views, numerous facilities and is located right in the middle of the city centre. As Hotel Pulitzer consists of twenty five 17th and 18th century canal houses, this architecture has it influence on the location of the rooms. On behalf of all of us at Hotel Pulitzer, it would be a pleasure to have you as our guests again in the near future.
Lennart Maas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

My husband and I spent 1 night at this hotel and were really impressed by the staff. They were so friendly and kept making sure that everything was okay for us.

We booked a special deal for the canal-view room and this was excellent. I wouldn't stay in any other room. It was so peaceful to sit with the windows open overlooking the canal with a bottle of wine. The only thing that would've been better would've been a small balcony, but the buildings in Amsterdam aren't really designed that way.

The room was a good size and the bed was so comfortable - one of the best we've had, even out of the Starwood hotels. We love staying at Starwoods and this one was definitely up to par.

The bathroom was a little small, though totally usable, and very elegant. The shower pressure wasn't great and the temperature wouldn't remain, getting too hot and then too cold, but it wasn't a huge problem.

There was a large amoire with safe and a nice thing at the end of the bed where 2 small suitcases could fit. There was also a flat screen TV and the air conditioning worked great. The bed was so comfortable with a huge down comforter and with the air on, it was perfect temperature.

We didn't spend too much time here and didn't eat at the restaurant at all. I would absolutely choose this hotel again for a stay in Amsterdam but would definitely get the canal-view room as it really made a difference in our stay.

Dear Loyal guest,
It is a great pleasure to read your wonderful feedback regarding your stay at Hotel Pulitzer. We strive to offer each and every guest the most comfortable stay, in a hotel and city full of culture and I am pleased to read we succeeded in offering you this. Your detailed comments are not only a great compliment to us, it plays an important role in our process of evaluating the service we deliver. Furthermore, you have written a great, detailed review for future guests of Hotel Pulitzer. I am excited to read you enjoyed your stay with us and it would be a great pleasure to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hotel Pulitzer in the near future.
St Albans, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Pulitzer for 2 nights. The location was great, situated in front of the canal and very close to the Anne Frank Haus. The rooms were clean (I think they were all recently renovated). The only problem we had was with the reception upon check in and the concierge. We arrived just after 3PM and the room wasn't ready although check in time is 3PM and also informed the hotel our estimated arrival time. Took a while to get checked in and got told we had to wait another hour so we asked the concierge where we can have some lunch. We've asked for a nearby restaurant where they can recommend but was told that there are only cafes around and was also told that it was not in their culture that people have a nice late lunch!! We were tired and hungry after traveling so we asked if there was anywhere to eat in the hotel. We got directed to a restaurant which was closed and got then directed to a bar where they served some food. The quality of food wasn't very good considering the fact it is a 5 star hotel. The next day when we had more of our bearings around the hotel, we saw many cafes/restaurants opened around 3PM where alot of people were having a "late lunch"!! We were very annoyed by how the concierge was being unhelpful when we just arrived. Apart from the service we got, the hotel is nice to spend couple of nights for a city break. I will not eat in the hotel as there are many places to eat very close to the hotel with a reasonable price. Although we didn't have a good concierge on the first day, we did have a very helpful one the following evening and gave us a very good recommendation for a very nice restaurant nearby.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
LennartMaas, Duty Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2009
Dear loyal guest,
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for providing us with your feedback. Your feedback is highly appreciated, as this helps us to detect and improve critical points in our organization, from a guests’ point of view. I thank you for your visit as well, it was a pleasure to have you as our guest. I am pleased to read you enjoyed the central location of Hotel Pulitzer, in a city which offers plenty of sightseeing opportunities. The recently refurbished canal houses are designed to give you a taste of the Amsterdam culture and I am delighted to read your room with a canal view met your expectations. However, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience regarding your experience with one of our concierge. I would like to emphasize that your valuable feedback is discussed with our Front Office Manager to prevent this from happening again. In closing, I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Pulitzer in the near future.
Lennart
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

This hotel was great! The beds were amazingly comfortable!! What I loved best was that this hotel was in a great location, but not in the middle of "Tourist Town." It was an easy 10 minute walk to the center of Amsterdam but the hotel was situation in an area where you could be apart of the locals. There are a lot of great restaurants nearby and the you can take river cruise booked through the hotel! The staff was extremely helpful. My only complaint was that it got quite loud at night. I could hear all of the commotion and conservations happening on the street. I don't think the windows were completely sealed and I had to sleep with ears plugs one of the nights I was there. I was a little disappointed about that, but overall, it was great!

Dear loyal guest,
First of all I would like to thank you for taking the effort to share your wonderful experiences with us. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and I am proud to read Hotel Pulitzer met your expectations. Amsterdam is a city in which you never stop discovering new things and the ideal location of Hotel Pulitzer offers the opportunity to start your journey right in the heart of the city. I am happy to read you loved our beds, however I apologize for the fact that, despite this, the noisy streets kept you from sleeping completely comfortable. I would like to thank you for your visit and on behalf of all associates of Hotel Pulitzer, I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

stayed only one night.location is nice, although there are even better places to stay.we had an award stay and were appointed ar oom with courtyard view. although not anything wrong with the room, size ,interior,and bathroom not matching 5 star international standards.hotel consists of different buildings and if one has to walk from one to the other, the impression is somewhat clumsy.doors of ugly storage rooms are left open. old buffet stand left unattended.breakfast room very nice,food OK.left car at valet service, which is of course expensive in amsterdam.But at check out, garage had technical problems and we could not leave until technician had solved the problem.This seemed to happen more often; unacceptable in my opninion.In conclusion, good hotel, but not worth the price and better hotels available in amsterdam at better rates.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Dear loyal guest,
I sincerely thank you for taking some of your valuable time to share your experiences with us and future guests of Hotel Pulitzer. The charm of Hotel Pulitzer lies within its architecture and surroundings; in the heart of Amsterdam, located in twenty five old Amsterdam canal houses. This makes the hotel a place that shows the true culture of Amsterdam, with great architecture and newly refurbished canal houses. I am proud to inform you that Hotel Pulitzer has entered the list of one of the world’s best hotels since January 2009.
I am pleased to read your overall stay with us was excellent, however I apologize for the inconvenience occurred regarding the valet parking. I would like to emphasize that I have discussed this with our Engineering department to make sure this will never happen again. If you have any further questions or comments regarding your stay with us, please do not hesitate to share them with me. I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Pulitzer in the near future.
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

Beautiful hotel, great location, and very comfortable rooms. Has lovely view of the canals.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
LennartMaas, Duty Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2009
Dear loyal guest,
First of all, I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. Your feedback is not only important for future guests, it helps us to detect and improve critical points as well. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and I am pleased to read you had a great stay with us. All rooms in Hotel Pulitzer offer different views; some offer breathtaking views on our beautiful courtyard, some offer a sight on the picturesque streets and others provide our guests with a wonderful view on the canals. I thank you again for your feedback and I kindly ask you not to hesitate to provide us with any more comments. I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Pulitzer in the near future.
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

I was very impressed with this hotel especially after staying in other hotels in Europe.
The service was excellent! This hotel is staffed properly and in my opinion 5 star quality.
The atmosphere and attitude of this hotel is exceptional.

The room was very nice and modern. Excellent quality bed, bedding and furnishings. Heated marble floors in the bathroom. The room was not "huge" by any means, but I didn't find much of that anywhere in Europe compared to the United States. They do offer suites if you need a lot of space.

The views from this hotel are wonderful. Either canal view or courtyard, and for once it was actually a very charming courtyard. Most hotels say that they have a courtyard, but it usually ends up being just a patch of grass.

The location is perfect. Just two blocks from Anne Frank's house. Walking distance to just about everything. Nice restaurants and pubs all around this area. I couldn't believe how quiet and peaceful this hotel was. I was expecting some racket from the streets and canal, but I heard nothing! Not even from the hallway. I felt like I was the only one staying on my floor.

This hotel and area is very safe. I am a female solo traveler, so that means something to me. If you are looking to spend a lot of time in the Centrum area that's ok too. It is within 10-15 min walking distance to that area. You can knock yourself out in the coffee shops and redlight all you want and still return to a quality hotel. : D

The hotel offers a wonderful canal tour with their own boat leaving directly infront of the hotel. Everything can be billed to your room. I took the canal tour and was very impressed.
I also recommend if you are going to visit Anne Frank's House to buy your tickets online.
The concierge recommended it to me, and I did it right in the business center of the hotel. When I went to Anne Frank's house there was a HUGE line waiting for tickets. Online ticket holders get to use a seperate entrance. There was not a single soul in that line! I was buzzed right in. I couldn't believe it. I tipped the front desk help heavily after returning. It saved me precious time that I was able to spend seeing and doing other things instead of waiting in line to buy my tickets.

I had wonderful service from the concierge desk. The best part was the front desk was staffed properly at all times. Prompt service every time I needed them. Plenty of bellhops and doormen that were extremely professional. There is one staffed outside at a podium at all times ready to welcome you.

I had to exchange some currency while there, and they do offer that right at the front desk. It is at a slightly higher rate of course, but I found the convience of not having to waste time trying to find a better location worth it.

I did not get a chance to eat at the restaurant in the hotel, but I did walk by it and it seemed very elegant. I did look over the menu and it I liked what was available. I did order latenight roomservice and I liked that they had good choices and the service was prompt. If I remember right, I think it said "within 30 minutes" right on the menu. I know that my order did not take that long.

There are a variety of food places in different price ranges all over this neighborhood if you are looking to change it up often. If you like Indian, you're in the right city because there is a lot of that.

There is a nice little English pub on the corner across from the Westerkerk Church (near Anne Frank's House) It's a great place to sit outside and have a few drinks while people watching. They also serve English pub style food.

I am already planning on returning to Amsterdam and I will definitely stay at The Hotel Pulitzer again because when you find something good you stick with it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Dear loyal guest,
I have never seen such an incredible review on tripadvisor. I truly thank you for sharing all your lovely experiences with us; it is a pleasure to read your exciting story and above all, I am proud to read you had a wonderful stay with us. Please be assured that I will forward this enthusiastic review to our Department Heads, so all of us at Hotel Pulitzer can take notice of your compliments. Hotel Pulitzer has been voted one of the worlds’ best hotels, don’t you agree? It was an absolute pleasure to have you as our guest, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Pulitzer in the near future.
Lennart Maas

Been to Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!