“Best Hotel I stayed In While In Europe” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315-331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Deal
Save €75 on select meals
Ranked #44 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
United States
“Best Hotel I stayed In While In Europe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

I was very impressed with this hotel especially after staying in other hotels in Europe.
The service was excellent! This hotel is staffed properly and in my opinion 5 star quality.
The atmosphere and attitude of this hotel is exceptional.

The room was very nice and modern. Excellent quality bed, bedding and furnishings. Heated marble floors in the bathroom. The room was not "huge" by any means, but I didn't find much of that anywhere in Europe compared to the United States. They do offer suites if you need a lot of space.

The views from this hotel are wonderful. Either canal view or courtyard, and for once it was actually a very charming courtyard. Most hotels say that they have a courtyard, but it usually ends up being just a patch of grass.

The location is perfect. Just two blocks from Anne Frank's house. Walking distance to just about everything. Nice restaurants and pubs all around this area. I couldn't believe how quiet and peaceful this hotel was. I was expecting some racket from the streets and canal, but I heard nothing! Not even from the hallway. I felt like I was the only one staying on my floor.

This hotel and area is very safe. I am a female solo traveler, so that means something to me. If you are looking to spend a lot of time in the Centrum area that's ok too. It is within 10-15 min walking distance to that area. You can knock yourself out in the coffee shops and redlight all you want and still return to a quality hotel. : D

The hotel offers a wonderful canal tour with their own boat leaving directly infront of the hotel. Everything can be billed to your room. I took the canal tour and was very impressed.
I also recommend if you are going to visit Anne Frank's House to buy your tickets online.
The concierge recommended it to me, and I did it right in the business center of the hotel. When I went to Anne Frank's house there was a HUGE line waiting for tickets. Online ticket holders get to use a seperate entrance. There was not a single soul in that line! I was buzzed right in. I couldn't believe it. I tipped the front desk help heavily after returning. It saved me precious time that I was able to spend seeing and doing other things instead of waiting in line to buy my tickets.

I had wonderful service from the concierge desk. The best part was the front desk was staffed properly at all times. Prompt service every time I needed them. Plenty of bellhops and doormen that were extremely professional. There is one staffed outside at a podium at all times ready to welcome you.

I had to exchange some currency while there, and they do offer that right at the front desk. It is at a slightly higher rate of course, but I found the convience of not having to waste time trying to find a better location worth it.

I did not get a chance to eat at the restaurant in the hotel, but I did walk by it and it seemed very elegant. I did look over the menu and it I liked what was available. I did order latenight roomservice and I liked that they had good choices and the service was prompt. If I remember right, I think it said "within 30 minutes" right on the menu. I know that my order did not take that long.

There are a variety of food places in different price ranges all over this neighborhood if you are looking to change it up often. If you like Indian, you're in the right city because there is a lot of that.

There is a nice little English pub on the corner across from the Westerkerk Church (near Anne Frank's House) It's a great place to sit outside and have a few drinks while people watching. They also serve English pub style food.

I am already planning on returning to Amsterdam and I will definitely stay at The Hotel Pulitzer again because when you find something good you stick with it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
LennartMaas, Duty Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2009
Dear loyal guest,
I have never seen such an incredible review on tripadvisor. I truly thank you for sharing all your lovely experiences with us; it is a pleasure to read your exciting story and above all, I am proud to read you had a wonderful stay with us. Please be assured that I will forward this enthusiastic review to our Department Heads, so all of us at Hotel Pulitzer can take notice of your compliments. Hotel Pulitzer has been voted one of the worlds’ best hotels, don’t you agree? It was an absolute pleasure to have you as our guest, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Pulitzer in the near future.

1,766 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manchester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

We stayed at the hotel for two nights in June 2009, in an executive room with a canal view, and unfortunately the hotel is the only thing that spoit an otherwise perfect weekend. We were willing to overlook the dirty stains on the carpet, lack of amenities and the fact that a member of staff knocked on our door to fill the minibar when we chose not to be disturbed (relunctantly going away), but when arriving at breakfast with 45 minutes left of service time we found it appalling that hardly any food was left. My husband had to wait a considerable time for more items to be cooked and I managed without. The restaurant staff were apologetic and informed the front desk that our breakfast should be refundable. However, as we had prepaid our accommodation and breakfast the front desk would not issue a refund (even after asking the Manager and clarifying for a second time). They only offered some points or an upgrade on our next visit, both declined as we will be staying elsewhere!!. I find it incredible that you don't receive a full refund if they fail to deliver the service you have already paid for. I accept that if we had changed our plans the money would have been lost, but for the fault being on their part?! Totally unacceptable and not at all in keeping with a "luxury" hotel. We will certainly go back to Amsterdam but will stay in other hotels which offer clean rooms with exceptional service, which does not include the Pulitzer!!!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Golden, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

We got a better rate through Starwood and loved this hotel. The location was even better than Dylan and we thought the room was quite, the bathroom nice and the staff was very helpful but not overly formal. They are voted best breakfast (very expensive if it's not included) but it is very nice. If you don't want to pay for a big breakfast there is a great cafe one block away with eggs and anything you could ever want that we loved on our last day. The hotel has a small but adequate workout facility and the garden rooms are better than canal rooms if you want a quiet room (we do). Very nice sheets and extremely comfortable bed. Rent bikes from Bike City (5 minute walk from hotel) and be sure to eat at D'Theeboom (sp?) and Proverjy (nearby) for great meals. LOVED Amsterdam thanks to the Pulitzer.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
LennartMaas, Duty Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2009
Dear loyal guest,
I absolutely enjoyed reading your wonderful feedback. I am proud to read your comments, as they show me you had a wonderful time with us. I find your description of our hotel very pleasurable to read and I enjoyed reading your advice for future guests of Hotel Pulitzer. To make sure our associates can take notice of your compliments, I will forward your enthusiastic comments to our Departments Heads. If there is anything I can assist you with, now or in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me. It would be my pleasure to welcome you back to Hotel Pulitzer in the near future.
fareham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

Amsterdam proved to be a very interesting city, seemlingly switching from a hubbub of tourists and trashy souvenir shops, to arty and architectural landscapes in a flash. Thankfully, the Pulitzer lies in the latter, a welcome place to be whether it be for the overnight stay or just that midday pitstop.
Located on one of the nicest streets (Prinsengracht), there are none of the odd waifs and strays, nor is it in sight of the seedy and strange red light area, though should you be that way inclined, it is within easy reach.
The hotel is well situated, in amongst some nice galleries and luxury apartments.
Inside the hotel itself, the staff are pleasant, speaking good English. You will not discover Coffee and tea making facilities upon arrival, but staff will bring it to you without cost.
The king-size bed is supremely comfortable, the TV is a large flat-screen Samsung and there is even a Bose CD/Radio/Alarm player. Some money has clearly been put into this holiday.
Whether you be in Amsterdam on business or simply for a sightseeing adventure, the Pulitzer is well worth the extra outlay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
LennartMaas, Duty Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2009
Dear loyal guest,
It is with great pleasure to read your wonderful feedback regarding your stay with us. I am delighted to read the central location of Hotel Pulitzer was very convenient for you and I am proud to see you find Amsterdam a great city as well. It truly is a city in which you never stop discovering new things. Al twenty - five canal houses of Hotel Pulitzer were build in the 16th and 17th century. Hotel Pulitzer is decorated in a way which shows the true heritage of the Amsterdam culture, while providing our guests with the most comfortable facilities. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and I thank you again for your feedback. If there is anything I can assist you with now, or during your next visit do not hesitate to contact me directly. On behalf of all associates, I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Pulitzer in the near future.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

I booked this hotel for myself and five friends and we were all thoroughly impressed. It's a short tram-ride from Centraal Station or you could take a leisurely walk in less than 30mins. A great base to explore Amsterdam from.

The staff were really first class in all parts of the hotel.

Highly reccomended.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
LennartMaas, Duty Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2009
Dear loyal guest,
It truly is a great pleasure to read your enthusiastic comments. Your feedback is highly appreciated and I am delighted to read you and your friends had a lovely stay with us. The central location of Hotel Pulitzer is indeed very convenient for business and leisure guests and I am proud to read you enjoyed staying with us. Please be assured your compliments are forwarded to our department heads. It will be my pleasure to have to opportunity of welcoming you back to Hotel Pulitzer in the near future.
Warm regards, Lennart Maas
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

The Pulitzer is a charming, historic hotel located in several canal houses. As such, the rooms are of varying quality. It's wonderful if you have a bright, spacious, top level room with details like original wood beams overlooking the canal, but far less impressive in an internal room. There are so many other lovely hotels in Amsterdam, however, that it is not necessary to take a chance with the Pulitzer.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Dear loyal guest,
First of all I would like to thank you for taking some of your valuable time to provide me with your feedback. Your feedback is highly appreciated and helps us to analyze critical points within the organization. As you described, Hotel Pulitzer consists of twenty - five canal houses with each room having its own beautiful style and view. The influence of the rich culture of Amsterdam can be found back in not only the rooms, our garden en newly refurbished restaurant show the heritage of the city of Amsterdam as well. If there are any more comments you would like to share with me, please do not hesitate to provide me with this. On behalf of all associates of Hotel Pulitzer, I would be pleased to welcome you back in the near future. Warm regards, Lennart Maas
Sherman Oaks, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

One needs to remember that European standards are different from American standards with regard to accommodations. I would rate this a 3 for American standards but probably a 4 for European. Also, there is great variability from room to room within the hotel. Location is great. Trade off for canal view is the amount of noise. The bathroom was very clean and updated. Beds are excellent. Furniture is a little outdated and carpeting could use replacement. I would agree with other posters that the concierge and front desk staff are not very knowledgeable. I booked the shuttle for airport return TWICE with the concierge and the shuttle service still had no record of me for pick up in the a.m. Luckily I had allowed plenty of time due to a previous review of this hotel that said that a flight had almost been missed due to poor shuttle service. This is a good hotel to use with SPG points but would have been upset if I had to pay for it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
LennartMaas, Duty Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2009
Dear loyal guest,
Thank you for taking some of your valuable time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Your comments are highly appreciated, as it helps us to find critical points in our organization. I am pleased to read the central location of Hotel Pulitzer met your satisfaction. Hotel Pulitzer consists of 25 canal houses, making it a hotel with true Amsterdam heritage. This results in rooms which differ from each other regarding the view; some rooms boasts breathtaking canal views and other rooms offer views on our beautiful garden. I do apologize for the inconvenience occurred regarding the shuttle service. Your comments are forwarded to our Front Office Manager in order to strive this will not happen again in the future.
Lennart Maas

Been to Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!