“Impeccable location and service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel

You added Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315-331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Offers & Announcements
Enjoy from €75 F
Ranked #45 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Toronto, Canada
“Impeccable location and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

We enjoyed our stay at the Pulitzer and will return for sure.
Yet, there is still room to improve in both hardware (amenities) to be substantially qualified as Luxury collection.

Location:
Impeccalbe quiet, picturesque location, you can almost walk to all tourist attractions. Stop and Go bus (Euro 1/hour) stop in front of the hotel, Canal bus stop is just a stroll away. Ann Frank House & West Church is just around the corner. We are glad that we chose Pulitzer.

Service:
Overall the staff are very helpful and friendly. All the front desk staff are nice. (some posters said they were cold, not that we had encountered). The concierge is helpful and knowledgeable. The porter, some are cold, but Carlos is an excellent exception, Carlos is cheerful , helpful and make you feel warml welcomed.
The housekeeping staff are also very friendly and efficient. There was no turn down service.

The business center offer free internet access, you still can have internet access without paying the Euro19 /day internet charges.

Room
The featured rate is not really low at this economic turmoil. yet we got a 30% off at SPG.com which si a steal. So our room of course is not the most desirable.
In light of the hotel is a link of many canal houses into a quadrangle, so there are many short flights of stairs linking the buildings and level. I now know what does one poster talk about room under the stairs. I at first worry too.

In fact, the room was in a good size, very bright, facing the inside small courtyard, no view, in the front building . Some rooms are in the back canal houses, you have to walk through a patio courtyard
There is free coffee/tea maker but you have to ask upon check-in.

The tiny squishy bathroom is a fact.
The amenities in the room is ok. I was surprised, there is no cosmetic cotton wool, cotton buds and show cap which are very standard in 5-star hotels in Europe. The faucet in the bathtub link with the rainforest shower head is a bit tricky to adjust.
Some posters mentioned about the physical placement of the furniture in the room. I agree. The bed is very comfy.

Restaurant: Unfortunately, the Pulitzer restaurant was closed for renovation and the menu is disappointing.

There are many cafe, restaurants nearby, The Michelin mentioned restaurant Envy is just a stroll away. It's a nice restaurant with good tasting menu. I echo to the concierge if you want a quiet dinner, then don't pick the bistro (tapas) style ENVY. We enjoyed the food at ENVY.

Transport
The hotel canal cruise sails at 6pm it is nice. If you are short of time, don't ever buy the canal bus day pass, the canal bus(boat ) is too slow and frequency is 25mins. The tram daypass (7 Euro) takes you everywhere.

I believe taxi from Amsterdam Centrale station is around 10Euro, we got ripped off for 16Euro. If you go to the airport, order a airport shuttle from the concierge, it costs 14.50Euro per person, pick up from hotel to the airport, the shuttle may have to pick up passengers from other hotels. We were lucky, there were only two of us on the shuttle that only took 20mins to Schipol airport.

I have no hesitation to recommend Pulitzer.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
marloesvanraamsdonk, Duty Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2009
Dear Loyal guest,
Thank you very much for your detailed feedback. We very much appreciate the time you have taken to share your thoughts with us and other travelers. Your feedback is very valuable and therefore I will absolutely discuss your comments with the departmental heads. Furthermore I would like to compliment you with your wonderful picture of the front side of our hotel; the composition is beautiful. We are looking forward to welcome you back in our hotel after the redecoration of our restaurant to show what more Hotel Pulitzer has to offer.
Marloes van Raamsdonk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights April 4 to 7. We are Starwood members and booked the room using cash and points so it only cost $90 per night. I had expected that because of that we would get a "bad" room but we got a great room. No it did not face the canal, it faced an inner courtyard but it was very large and had 2 windows and was quite bright. The bathroom was nice and the shower had good water pressure.
The location was very convenient. It is 2 blocks from the Anne Frank House and the canal boats. Its one block from the tram lines that you could take to get to Central station, Rembrant House, museums, etc.
The staff are wonderful and responded quickly to our request for a blanket instead of the duvet which was too heavy for the spring weather. Someone came up to our room within 10 minutes of our call and took the duvet and made up the bed with a lighter blanket. All of the bedding is very soft and plush.
We did not eat there but we had breakfast of coffee and croissants or bagels at a small cafe next to the Anne Frank house.
The concierge was very helpful as we wanted to go to the Zeiderzee Museum. He printed out the train schedule for us and recommended restaurants for dinner. Try Chistophe on the block after the Anne Frank house. It was fabulous. He also recommended a Dutch place called The Silver Mirror that was a 15 minute walk and in a building from 1614!
The only complaint I have is the price of using internet in the room. It was 19 Euros! But if you go into the business center, its free and you can even hook up to the internet there using your own computer.
All in all it was a fabulous stay

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Loyal guest,
On behalf of my colleagues I would like to thank you for your compliments and your wonderful review. I am proud to read your references to the quickness of my helpful colleagues. If there is anything we could do to make your next stay even more convenient please do not hesitate to contact us. We are looking forward to welcome you back in Hotel Pulitzer for another fabulous stay.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

My husband and I spent 3 nights at Hotel Pulitzer and enjoyed our stay.
We had an "executive" sized room overlooking the canal. In the future I won't pay extra for a canal view room -- it would have been quieter to have an inside room overlooking the lovely garden area. The room was not large -- but that's to be expected in a city hotel. Bed was very comfortable although I could have done without the huge down duvet which was way too warm for spring temps. Bathroom had very limited shelf space. It would have been nice to have a tea kettle in the room. Lighting was good.
Breakfast buffet was a little limited -- their restaurant is undergoing renovation so it was in the "Garden room". Nice "gezellig" bar.
The concierge staff were very helpful. They helped me with great resaurant recommendations and with reservations. I selected from their recommendations and all the resaurants were great!
The location is very good. Within walking distance of most attractions and close to The Jordaan area with good restaurants. Amsterdam is a very busy city so it was good to be somewhat off the "beaten path" for tourists.
All in all a very enjoyable stay - hotel has local character which is great.

Dear Loyal guest,
First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am proud to read that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. Feedback is very important to us, as it is with this information that we are able to recognize and improve the critical points in our organization as we aim to serve our guests at the highest possible level. Please be assured that I will forward your compliments and your improvement points to my colleagues. I am looking forward to welcome you back in Hotel Pulitzer in the future.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2009

I thoroughly recommend the Pulitzer Hotel as a base for sightseeing in Amsterdam and the surrounding area. Its location on the Princengracht Canal is terrific. Everything is within walking distance and the street has a fantastic atmosphere, night and day.

The hotel has several beautiful courtyard type gardens for relaxing in between sightseeing and the bedrooms are lovely. The Concierge and reception staff are always willing to answer questions or find out information for guests.

It is easy to walk the sights, or hop on a canal boat for a leisurely trip around the city.
The Ann Frank House is in the next block. The museum quarter is a 15 minute walk from the Pulitzer and the Artis Zoo is a must for families (can be reached by canal boat).

I would recommend taking bus from Central Station to Volendam (on the Ijsselmmer) and the surrounding area which is great for cycling, wildlife etc. The seafood restaurants at the harbour in Volendam are excellent.

Dear Loyal guest,
Thank you for recommending Hotel Pulitzer and for sharing your experiences on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed sightseeing in Amsterdam and that you had a comfortable stay. Amsterdam is absolutely wonderful and there is always something new to discover. We are looking forward to welcome you back in our hotel when you are visiting Amsterdam in the future.
edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

Superb hotel - unusual for part of large group to have such an interesting an unusual hotel - formed from conversion of 20 or 30 canal houses near centre of amsterdam. Each room different, ours had exposed beams and a very slightly sloping floor - its really old having been built in 16 something or other. Very comfortable bed and well appointed room and bathroom. Food in restaurant was good, currently re doing their main restaurant which from pictures looks as though it will be superb. Nice old fashioned bar which is frequented by locals as well as guests - always a good sign. Staff genuinely freindly - not just the "enjoy" culture - and very good as well. The chap who is in charge of breakfasts is brilliant - worth paying fro breakfast just to see him in action - almost a floor show teh way he works the room. Its a briliant location very central yet not close to that ghastly main street down from central station. Very close to Ann Frank house which is useful as queues are huge and start early as almost all other museums closed in amsterdam at the moment. Some good bars and restaurants in immediate vicinity. Yes its expensive in absolute terms but it is worth it as its such an intersesting hotel.

Dear Loyal guest,
First of all I would like to thank you for your absolutely wonderful comment about Hotel Pulitzer. I am proud to read that you enjoyed your stay and our beautiful capital city. Please be assured that I will forward your comment regarding the service and entertainment of my colleague in the breakfast room. Once again, thank you for sharing your experience. My colleagues and I are looking forward to welcome you back in our hotel in the future.
Cologne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

My partner and I recently stayed in the Pulitzer Hotel in Amsterdam to celebrate my birthday. We had a superb experience in this lovely hotel. We were greeted by smiling staff who gave us a warm welcome and immediately recognised that it was my birthday. The receptionist try to give us an upgrade, although the hotel was VERY busy that night. So instead she gave us the requested deluxe room, but it was very special. After explaining how to get to it (up several staircases and over a roof top) we set off, and soon arrived in a double height room that expanded into the beams of a gable roof. It was very romantic, and although didn't have a great view as such, was tucked away, private and a great size. The bathroom was beautiful marble, and the furniture/decor very tasteful without being fussy. The ultimate attraction to the room however, was the bed! There are so many reviews on here about the beds in this hotel, and they're all truE. Firstly it was HUGE! The mattress was amazing, so comfortable, and the bedlinen was divine. Although we didn't spend much time in the room (how could you in such a beautiful city?!) it was wonderful to come back to after a long day sightseeing.

The hotel is in the most fantastic postion, right bang in the centre of the most impressive district of Amsterdam. The canal houses it is situated in a sympathetically restored, and the bar had a wonderful view out onto other such buildings and the canal. This is the district to be in, the shops are amazing and there are som many cafes and restaurants nearby.

We had an excellent expererience at this hotel, and would definately stay here again (although we always make it a rule of thumb to never stay in the same place twice!) The attentiveness of the staff throughout the stay was exemplary, and despite being a chain hotel, it has the feeling of a luxurious individual residence. On my birthday we returned to the room to find a present and card from the front desk staff (definately 5* service). We paid an excellent price through hotels.com, and it's definately worth looking out for deals. Iff you want a luxury hotel in a great position within walking distance of everything, this is the one for you!

(Cologne, Germany)

Dear Loyal Guest,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience in Hotel Pulitzer with other travelers. I am proud to read that my colleagues did their very best to give you a special birthday. Since the primary purpose of a hotel is for guests to relax; I am happy to read that our beds gave you the necessary rest for discovering our wonderful capital. If there is anything we could do for you to make your next visit even more convenient please feel free to contact us. We would feel honored if you would make an exception and visit our hotel again.
amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2009

Centrally located in Amsterdam, very good restaurant and luxurious enough to bring along your clients. I have stayed in Starwood hotels before and they never let me down. Hotel pulitzer in amsterdam really is worth the stay. Big rooms, quick and attentive staff and me and my clients very much enjoyed the restaurant. The only point of critic is the room service, that could be faster.

Highly recommended for staying in Central Amsterdam with business clients.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
marloesvanraamsdonk, Duty Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2009
Dear Loyal guest,
We very much appreciate the time you have taken to inform us about your experiences while staying at our hotel. Thank you for sharing your wonderful feedback with us and the visitors of Tripadvisor. I am proud to read your compliment regarding my colleagues and that you very much enjoyed our restaurant. Please be assured that I will forward your comment about Roomservice to the related department head. We are looking forward to welcome you and your clients back in Hotel Pulitzer.
Marloes van Raamsdonk

Been to Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!