“This is why I love staying at Starwood hotels.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam

You added Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315 - 331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel) (Canal Ring (Grachtengordel))   |
Ranked #48 of 356 Hotels in Amsterdam
amsterdam
“This is why I love staying at Starwood hotels.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2009

Centrally located in Amsterdam, very good restaurant and luxurious enough to bring along your clients. I have stayed in Starwood hotels before and they never let me down. Hotel pulitzer in amsterdam really is worth the stay. Big rooms, quick and attentive staff and me and my clients very much enjoyed the restaurant. The only point of critic is the room service, that could be faster.

Highly recommended for staying in Central Amsterdam with business clients.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
marloesvanraamsdonk, Duty Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 15, 2009
Dear Loyal guest,
We very much appreciate the time you have taken to inform us about your experiences while staying at our hotel. Thank you for sharing your wonderful feedback with us and the visitors of Tripadvisor. I am proud to read your compliment regarding my colleagues and that you very much enjoyed our restaurant. Please be assured that I will forward your comment about Roomservice to the related department head. We are looking forward to welcome you and your clients back in Hotel Pulitzer.
Marloes van Raamsdonk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (552)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2009

This may not be a fair review because we didn't have to pay for the rooms ourselves, thanks to work. But the hotel is gorgeous with quaint rooms and huge comfy big beds that you would expect in a 5 star hotel. Location on the canals is great and the gym, though small, was fine.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled as a couple
Dear Loyal guest,
I am writing to thank you for writing this nice review on Tripadvisor. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and our beds. Since we are always looking for ways to exceed the expectations of our guests please do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything we could do for you to make your next visit even more convenient? My colleagues and I are looking forward to welcome you back in our hotel in the future.
Saratoga, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

The staff is a bit stiff when checking in or asking questions about the city.

We were upgraded to a larger room. The size was nice, part of the ceiling plaster was separated from the beam area, the furniture was very worn and needed replacement if this is a luxury hotel.

The bathroom was very small.

The location is excellent and it is easy to walk to anywhere in the canal area.

For the price that was charged for the three nights we could have stayed at much nicer hotels.

Dear Loyal guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences with us. I am sorry to read that you are not completely satisfied with our hotel and the service we have provided. On behalf of my colleagues I would like to apologize that we have come across a bit stiff. Please be assured that I will forward your comments to the related department heads. I hope to welcome you back in our hotel to give us a second chance.
Hamilton, Bermuda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

I used the Pulitzer for a business stay in order to avoid to sleep at schipol. The location at the Prinzengracht is great. My SPG status upgrated me in a room with viez which was very nice. Room was pretty big and freshly re-decorated with modern tones.the rest of the hotel gives the impression that clients flow in anyway and no special attention is required. The staff was nice though and gave me a great tip for a dinner on my own in a nice fashionable restaurant 50m away from the hotel. I consider negative comments of other travellers auite unfair when it comes to the standard of the hotel. Amsterdam downtown is a difficult place to have a big superior hotel and the Pulitzer is doing an ok job. Expectation are so high when you go to Amsterdam !

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
marloesvanraamsdonk, Duty Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 1, 2009
Dear Loyal guest,
First of all I would like to thank you for your wonderful comments. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Is there anything we could do for you to make your next visit even more convenient? My colleagues and I are looking forward to welcome you back in our hotel in the future!
Stavanger, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2009

I stayed at Hotel Pulitzer in Amsterdam from March 16th to March 18th on a work trip to the city. I took it as they could offer a good deal on 2 night stay and as it was a Starwood hotel and I’m in the Starwood Preferred Guest program. I had to pay 207€ per night for the room.

First of all: you got to love the internet. Yes, I did book the hotel through the internet (on the Starwood page) and I also used http://www.maps.google.com to check which was the nearest tram station and which line would service that station. So when I arrived at Schiphol airport I took a train into downtown (centralstation) and from there I jumped on the right tram line and jumped of at the right station…it is Westermarkt by the way :-)

When I arrived, the check in was fast and I got room 331. The guy that checked me in was very helpful and pulled out a map to show us where we were located and I also asked if he could recommend a restaurant near by and he booked a table for me at Moeders (Mothers) – but that is a different story.

Room 331 is located on the 2nd floor and the first impression when walking in was quite good. At first glance it was a room with light wooden floors, light walls, golden curtains and big beams in the ceiling. It is also located right next to a canal so the surroundings are quite picturesque - not that I got to experience much of that as I got windows facing a courtyard ;-)

When I first came in I had a lot of problems figuring out how to turn on the light. But after fiddling around with the light switches I finally figured it out. The room was dominated by a huge bed which turned out to be very comfortable – it even had a proper duvet and some nice pillows.

Apart from that there was a nice flat screen TV on top of a mini bar. But as always in hotels the prices are ridiculous – 4 € for a Coke, 6.5 € for a Heineken are just a couple of examples. There was also a wardrobe with some hangers, a mini safe, a holder for a suitcase and of course a work desk with a couple of chairs. I did try to activate the air-con by the way as I like to have it cool when I sleep but that did not seem to work. Maybe it is only in operation during the summertime. This made the nights a bit warm for me as the duvet was quite thick. I could have opened a window of course but note that there is a church nearby where the bell tolls like every half hour even throughout the night so if you a sensitive to sounds, be aware.

The bathroom seemed pretty small to start with but it was not bad at all. It was tiled in various colors, there were heating in the floor, the towels were big and fluffy and the shower curtain option was not too bad (but I still don’t like the shower curtain option to start with). There were not that many amenities – only the usual shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and lotion. When it comes to the bathtub/shower…I wonder how many really take a bath when they stay for a couple of nights at a hotel. I seldom use the bathtub option and in this hotel I would much rather have a better shower option than the bathtub but that’s just me I guess.

I only stayed at Hotel Pulitzer 2 days so it is hard to give them a proper verdict after such a short time. It seems to be a nice modern hotel in an “old shell” as it is located in an old refurbished Amsterdam house located right on the edge of a canal. But being here on business I would have loved to have stayed connected by having access to the internet. But access to the net was not complimentary and came at the price of 19€ for 24 hours or 35€ for 48 hours. That is just ridiculous if you ask me.

Another thing that is insane is the breakfast prices. A full breakfast cost 29€!!! I’m sorry that I sound stingy but there is only so much a person can eat for breakfast and I doubt that anyone can eat for 29€. Another thing that surprised me was the price. I think I paid about 200€ per night for the hotel room but that was without breakfast: I think with breakfast it would be about 270€. So it is actually cheaper to book the room and then buy the breakfast separately – how silly is that? On day two when I came to breakfast the guy at the reception was quite laid back – so he told me to just grab something to eat and then tell him on the way out what I had eaten to determine the price. So after 10 minutes I walked up to him and told him that I had a banana and some cereal and a glass of juice (which is my regular breakfast) and he was like “Is that all? Get out of here”. So I didn’t have to pay anything. Again I wonder how many people actually eat a lot at breakfast at hotels like this. A business travel can’t stuff himself/herself full of food every morning when traveling.

But all is all – I would not mind staying here again. The location of the hotel is not bad as you can walk to Dam within 10 minutes, the bed was huge and comfortable and the room was modern and looked great. The staff was very helpful and approached me very fast when I was looking for help. So all the staff ranging from people in the restaurant, the reception staff and porters were all excellent.

To round of I would just like to recommend Amsterdam. I went there on vacation a few years back and I enjoyed it. But I had almost forgotten how charming this city is – after this trip I would like to return once again on vacation to re-discover it. So if you have a chance to go here, don’t hesitate

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Dear Loyal guest,
Thank you very much for your detailed comments regarding our hotel. We very much appreciate your positive feedback and your improvement points. I am sure your review will be very convenient for other travelers. I agree with you that Amsterdam is a most charming city and I absolutely would like to recommend you to visit Amsterdam again. Even people who live in the city never stop discovering new things! It is wonderful to read that the Internet helped you find your way easily to our hotel. However, I am sorry to read that you are not completely satisfied with our prices regarding the internet, the minibar and the breakfast. Please be assured that I will forward your feedback to the related departments. I hope to welcome you in our hotel in the future when enjoying another stay.
Leuven, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2009

Wet stayed a weekend in the hotel. I bookedn endless weekend rate on the website paying 30 euro extra comapred to standard price. I phoned the hotel if breakfast was included in the endless weekend rate. Which they confirmed. AT the hotel, it appeared breakfast was exluded and had to pay over 60 extra for breakfast for two !!!!

Room was very small, clean and quiet. The bathroom was reallly very small. There were no slippers. One bathrobe ? ??? did they gave us a single room ??

Parking fee for one night € 55 !!!

Next time, I will stay agian in the Banks Mansion.

Dear Loyal guest,
Thank you very much for your comments on Tripadvisor. We absolutely appreciate your feedback. I would like to apologize that we have not met your expectations regarding your stay. Unfortunately you did not receive the correct information; I understand that you were surprised by the extra charges. Be assured that I will forward your feedback to the related departmental heads. Please do not hesitate to contact us to discuss your feedback. We are looking forward to welcome you back in our hotel to show you that we have much more to offer than you recently experienced.
Birmingham, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

Just spent 3 days at the Pulitzer we had a Deluxe Executive Room. (#422)Great and it was plenty big for our needs. Flat screen TV nice bathroom. This Hotel is not "cheap" so if you are looking for a "super bargain" this is not the hotel. The staff was very attentive to any needs. The room included breakfast. Would highly recomend this hotel

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
SKimmel, Hotel Pulitzer at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, March 18, 2009
Dear Loyal Guest,
On behalf of the entire team at Hotel Pulitzer we would like to thank you for your review of our hotel. We are so very happy to hear you enjoyed all elements of your stay. We really appreciate your valuable comments. We hope to welcome you back in our hotel in the near future.
Best Regards, Hotel Manager Patrick Kerkhoven