“Awesome location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam

You added Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315 - 331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel) (Canal Ring (Grachtengordel))   |
Ranked #48 of 356 Hotels in Amsterdam
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Awesome location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

This is a great hotel with an awesome location. Rooms are generous by European standards. The only criticism I have is that the shower stall in both my room and my brother's was kind of short, so if you are tall, watch out! The room in which I stayed had an in-room safe, which was great, the hotel bar is actually one worth visiting in and of itself, with a super lounging area and very pleasant outdoor seating. The buffet breakfast is more than adequate, though if you are a serious foodie, it will not impress. The Anne Frank museum, the Royal Palace, Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum, were all within walking distance (for adults, at least). The concierge made great suggestions for Indonesian fare. Don't miss one of the BEST Asian fusion restaurants I have ever been too-- Nooch-- which sits across the street from the rear of the hotel. Unpretentious, very nice (and English speaking) wait staff, great value and fabulous fare.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, September 15, 2014
Dear akahdf,

On behalf of the entire Hotel Pulitzer Team, I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay with us. It is great to read that you had a lovely stay and that you've enjoyed our rooms and service provided by the staff.
It is a pleasure to learn that you've also visited some sights in Amsterdam and that our concierge team provided you with good suggestions.
I truly hope that we may welcome you back to Hotel Pulitzer in the near future.

Alex van Gastel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (552)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

We travel quite a bit and decided to come to Amsterdam for our Anniversary! When we checked in they upgraded us to a suite and had an anniversary present for us. They gave us salt and pepper shakers made out of the delft pottery Amsterdam is famous for. That was so thoughtful. Our room was facing the canal which I loved! We slept with the windows open every night. It was interesting to stay in a place that had once been canal homes. It has really neat little hallways throughout the entire hotel.

This little gem is perfectly located and within walking distance of restaurants, museums (the Anne Frank museum is right up the street), a mall, the city center and the Red light District! A wonderful place to spend a holiday!

We stayed there in May 2009, but I chose September 2013 b/c I had no other choice.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear justbeyoga,

I would like to thank you very much for your stay with us in September 2013 and for taking the time to share your experience with us. It is a pleasure to learn that you had a lovely anniversary trip in Amsterdam.
Great to read that you've enjoyed our indigenous Dutch present as an anniversary gift!

I truly hope that we may welcome you back to Hotel Pulitzer whenever your travels bring you to Amsterdam again.

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my family for 4 nights. The room was beautiful, spacious and very luxurious. If I ever return to Amsterdam I know i will stay here again. Also, the staff were extremely helpful and friendly. However, while the food in the hotel was really good it was a little expensive.

Overall the experience was great and I would highly recommend this hotel!

Dear Mark M,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer and for sharing your experience with the world on Tripadvisor. It brings me great pleasure to read that you and your family had a great time in both Amsterdam and our unique hotel.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back to our historical hotel whenever your travels bring you to Amsterdam again.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

People nice and helpful. Rooms feet dirty and old flooring all mark up and didn't fell clean bath old and black in some spots. Bed really good. Not worth the money. I all so stayed at the toren and it leaves this the for dead.

• Stayed August 2014
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear brendan o,

I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel and for sharing your experience with us. As we are always trying to improve our products and services, your honest feedback is highly appreciated.
Please be assured that I have shared your comments with regards to the condition and cleanliness of your room with our Executive Housekeeper. Still, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused, as it was never our intention to give you a dissatisfied feeling.

On a more positive note, I was very pleased to learn that you found our staff nice and helpful.

Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

The Pulitzer is different to other hotels in that it has been created over time from 25 adjacent historic canal houses on two of the most famous "grachten" of Amsterdam (Prinsengracht and Keizersgracht). This makes the hotel layout somewhat confusing (but don't worry, you'll get a map from reception) but also utterly charming. Each room boasts a plaque recounting its particular building's history (with a QR code on it, should you want to explore further on their website).
The rooms are all different from one another, which should please returning guests, and they are all very well appointed indeed. The hotel is classified as 5* and boasts all the amenities you would expect. Staff is extremely friendly and helpful.

Breakfast is an absolute marvel, with a buffet stretching through 3 rooms leaving absolutely nothing to be desired. I promise you will not want to miss breakfast even once during your stay.

The Pulitzer is ideally located for tourism and business in Amsterdam, within walking distance to most major sights, and public transport is just around the corner, too.

One small fly in the ointment: They still charge heavily (€19 / day) for in-room hi-speed WiFi, which in this day and age should really be a thing of the past. Almost cost them one rating point, but my overall stay was so pleasurable I couldn't bring myself to rating it anything but Excellent.

Obviously all this excellence doesn't come cheap, but if you can afford it, it's well worth the price. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the (beautiful) gardens are quieter, but of course Canal View rooms are more spectacula...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Dear Andischatz,

I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. It was a true pleasure to have you as our guest and I am very pleased to read that you've had an enjoyable stay in our historical hotel.

It is great to learn that you enjoyed the location, breakfast and helpfulness of the staff while you were here. Please note that we do offer 2 different types of WIFI throughout the hotel; complimentary regular speed WIFI and premium WIFI at a cost of EUR 19,- per 24 hours.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back to Hotel Pulitzer, whenever your travels bring you to Amsterdam again.

Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed staying 5 nights at the Hotel Pulizer. It is not a typical hotel in that it is comprised of 25 canal houses. So the hotel has many charming parts to it. It's location is outstanding. It is on the Prinsengracht canal (if possible, get a room with a view of the canal). It is in the old city center, and just 1/2 block from a tram stop. Within a short walking distance, there is the Anne Frank House museum, and the Canal House museum (must see both!).

The staff is welcoming, professional, and knowledgeable. In particular, we worked with 2 of their concierge - both were excellent in helping us see and experience much of Amsterdam's sights. If possible, you need to sign up for the hotel's 3 hour walking tour of Amsterdam. It is led by the hotel's former head concierge. He retired from the hotel after several decades and now does these wonderful tours for them.

Our room was on the canal side and was sufficiently large. The bathroom was a bit cramped, but other rooms might not be that way because of the way the hotel was designed. The ceiling has beautiful old beams exposed. Everything was decorated beautifully - a combination of simple modern elegance mixed with touches of the old houses in which the rooms have been built.

Room Tip: Canal side was great. We were on the 3rd floor. The street is quiet at night. The free wifi isn...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear Love-to-World-Travel,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. It is a great pleasure to read that you had an enjoyable time in both our historical hotel and the city of Amsterdam.
I am very pleased to read that you also joined our Concierge Tour, led by our former Head Concierge. It is indeed a great way to discover the city, as he knows a lot of hidden gems!

Your compliments have been shared with the entire team and I truly hope that we may welcome you back to Hotel Pulitzer whenever your travels bring you to Amsterdam again!

NY,NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Great luxury hotel on the Canal!
We had a perfect, quiet room with a view overlooking the canal in a beautiful area of Amsterdam. It was walking distance to everything and the Anne Frank House is down the same street (buy tickets ahead online). Bed, of course, was very comfortable and the front desk & staff were so helpful. I left my wallet in the room safe after checkout & ran back an hour later & had no problem retreating it with the nearly 7ft tall Pulitzer security executive (who looked like someone out of central casting). He was so helpful & quickly had my wallet returned to me. What a great hotel!

Dear taylorNy_ny,

I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay and for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. It is a true pleasure to read your review and to learn that you've had a lovely stay in our historical hotel, especially with regards to the comfort of the bed and the helpful staff.

I have shared your compliments with the team and especially with our Security Officer! I truly hope that we may welcome you back for another indigenous and exceptional stay at Hotel Pulitzer in the near future.