“Very nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam

You added Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315 - 331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel)   |
Ranked #50 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
“Very nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

The Pulitzer is rather unique in that it is a collection of a lot of individual buildings all connected in a maze of hallways. It was fun to stay here, but there are good rooms and not so good rooms. We had one of the not so good rooms for 1 night and moved to a quieter better room which was fine.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the interior courtyard. It is quieter.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Tim H,

Thank you very much for your stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and I am pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable stay.
I am sorry to learn that you had to switch rooms after one night, but I am happy that the second room was more to your satisfaction.
I hope that we may welcome you back whenever your travels bring you to Amsterdam again!

Alex van Gastel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We booked our room with points, then later decided to upgrade to a canal room. There was some noise from the street and canal, however, all worth it for the view. Since it stayed light until past 10:00 pm, we were able to enjoy the view both in the morning and evening. Staff was helpful, courteous, and we were always greeted with a smile. Expresso bar was a great place for a quick breakfast (as well as great coffee). Unfortunately, it was too cold to sit outside and enjoy the lovely garden. We did not find out about the "concierge walk" until we were checking out. What a great idea and way to see some special sites in Amsterdam so it was unfortunate that we missed the opportunity. We loved our stay, the size of the room, location on the canal, and friendliness of staff. We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear p-fullerCalifornia,

On behalf of the entire Hotel Pulitzer Team, I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at our historical hotel. I am very pleased to read that you've enjoyed your time in both Amsterdam and our uique hotel. Indeed a pity that you've missed our Concierge Walking Tour, however a great opportunity to return!

I once again would like to thank you for your compliments and hope that we may welcome you back during your next visit to The Netherlands.

Hoofddorp, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We were invited to the Summer Party at the Pulitzer Hotel.That was a fantastic event. Perfect service,superb quality all round, and especially the extensive range of snacks - and what an incredible variety. Making your own Magnum, with a vast variety of decorations ( including GOLD ) was good fun. A chance to be "hands on " even at a party. This even surpassed our stay in this great Hotel last year. Starwood - this was incredible. Keep it up. Congratulations to all concerned.

Room Tip: On our last stay we were on the south side. Very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Steve C,

Wow! Thank you so much for such a lovely review about our annual Midsummer Night Garden Party! I am very pleased to learn that you were there and had a great evening! I have shared your compliments with all who were involved in the planning and organization of this unique event and we all hope to be welcoming you back next year!

Ridgefield, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

One of our best experiences yet in the Westin System. The hotel has a wonderful central location and the friendly staff, exceptional service and excellent food made this Hotel our favorite stay on a 3 week vacation in Europe. We took the walking tour with the now retired concierge, Robin van Kooten - this is a must do! He's been in Amsterdam all his life and does this walking tour on the weekends. He showed us several hidden gems that go unnoticed with just a casual stroll on your own or with a tour guide with typical experience. If you dine in the restaurant, you'll be treated to exceptional service from the entire staff. Oliver Clement and chef Sayead went out of their way to ensure our needs were promptly handled and expectations exceeded.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear bobc800,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. It is a pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that our historical hotel was your favorite on your trip through Europe!
I have shared your compliments with the entire team and especially with Sayed and Olivier from our Restaurant Team. They are indeed great Ambassadors for Hotel Pulitzer!

I hope that we will get the chance of welcoming you back to our unique hotel in the near future.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

First couple disclosures:
I booked the room with points, so it may be the reason for the problematic rooms we got.
I am also just a Gold member this year and not platinum, I hope a platinum will not get room 217.

The pluses
- The staff was absolutely amazing and courteous. When we complained twice on two different rooms, they acted swiftly to switch rooms for us and even helped us with a late checkout.
- The location
Close to Dam square but not too close. Right next to Anne Frank house.

The negatives
- The price point. At this price point and being part of Starwood luxury collection, this hotel just don't worth the price. for that price level you can get much more in Amsterdam. I would pay as much as $250 for what you get
- The canal view: we paid 50 Euros extra per night for a canal view and unlike other hotels in the city where canal view is on the canal and at times with balcony, here there is a road between the canal and the building. The view is still beautiful but can get really noisy
- The two apartments stacked on top of another on some floors. For example in level 4, there are "two" level 4 which means very low ceilings resulting in the shower head being one centimeter above my head and I am a very short guy!! you feel you are in a box not a room. (room 317 was fine, but 217 and 411 were very boxy)
- The breakfast buffet price...Unless it is priced for two and I don't think it is, this is the most expensive breakfast buffet I have ever seen!! 34 Euros which is almost $50 per person, when just around the corner two people can have a full, high quality breakfast for less than $30. I stayed in very expensive hotels in the past as St. Regis in Hawaii and I don't think that even there the charge for a breakfast buffet was so high!!
- Renovation!! they are still building or renovating new rooms, in this week (July 2014) it is room 117 I believe. It is perfectly fine for a hotel to do so, but!!! don't give room 217 right above it to your guest. When we complained it was noisy they discovered that 317 is actually vacant (why weren't we given it from the begin with). The next day it was still very very noisy in the morning, so then they realize that actually 411 is available. Do not take any room on floors 1,2,3 since the noise isolation is poor given the historic nature of the building. Floor 4 was ok in that sense.

Again great staff and a good location, but I am not sure you want to pay that price point for a kind staff since quite frankly dutch people in general are awesome and I am sure you will get same service in any other place.

Summary: look elsewhere first in my mind, though I highly recommend SPG!!

Room Tip: Fourth floor or above!! Ask about the low ceilings on some floors.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Isaac K,

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us.
I am sorry to learn that we could not meet you expectations with regards to the products and service provided and I would like to offer you my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Please be assured that I have shared your comments with our Management Team, in order for us to improve the products and services we offer. On a more positive note, I am very pleased to read that your enjoyed the service provided by our staffmembers.

I truly hope that you will allow us the chance of welcoming you back in the near future.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Stayed at the Pulitzer for 3 nights in mid June with my family. My wife is a Plantinum member of SPG so we were upgraded to a bigger room that actually had a quirky 2nd floor study (desk), quite roomy, clean and vies of the canals from the living room. I agree that this isn't your conventional 5 star SPG Property, but it does have great character and great locations. Above all the service of this property is impeccable. Upon arrival we were greeted by a front desk clerk, Rodrigo Ramos. This gentleman was terrific, asked many questions about our journey and where we were from and was terrific in engaging my 9yr old daughter. Offered her some candy and the following day, noticing that she enjoyed the candy at the front desk, had a full bag for her. This made her feel special and while on vacation with a child it's the little things that stand out. All hotels at this price point are clean & comfortable, but it's the little things that make hotels special. Besides Rodrigo, the concierge at the property was terrific. We travel often, to many different places, rarely visiting the same city twice. So, I'm a traveler that likes to maximize my time in a city and am a bit of a pest of the concierge and constantly asking questions and having daily itineraries and asking for input. Sometimes you get a mixed bag; as if I'm over asking and sometimes not warm. Not in this case, this staff was on point the whole time. THe main concierge I dealt with was Robert, always took the time to give me his input on what he thought of my daily plans and always had great restaurant suggestions for me. In closing, if you are looking for your traditional 5 star, cookie cutter property, don't book this property. This is a unique collection of row houses that were combined into a hotel and offers terrific service.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear PhishyGuy,

I would like to thank you very much for your stay with us last June and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. It is a pleasure to learn that you and your family had a great stay in our historical property and that our staff provided you with exceptional service. I have shared your compliments with the team, especially with Robert and Rodrigo!

I hope that we may welcome you and your family back to our unique hotel, whenever your travels bring you to Amsterdam again.

richmond
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Stayed for a week during the canal concert celebration of 400 years of Amsterdam. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The staff was the most outstanding attribute of the hotel. The concierge was fantastic and led a walking tour of historic Amsterdam. The food was excellent and the ambience was superb. The location along the western ring of canals puts it in walking distance of all the main attractions of the city.

I recommend it highly and would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear GolfguyRichmond,

I would like to thank you very much for your stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, last September. Great to read that you stayed with us during the celebration of 400 years canals in Amsterdam, as we had some interesting celebrations going on in and around the canal belt.
I am pleased to lean that you've enjoyed your stay and that you joined our unique Concierge Walking Tour through the city center of Amsterdam. As they know a lot of hidded gems in the city, this is a unique exprience.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back whenever your travels bring you to Amsterdam again.

Alex van Gastel

Been to Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam? Share your experiences!