“Unsurpassed Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam

You added Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315 - 331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel)   |
Ranked #51 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
Ridgefield, Washington
“Unsurpassed Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

One of our best experiences yet in the Westin System. The hotel has a wonderful central location and the friendly staff, exceptional service and excellent food made this Hotel our favorite stay on a 3 week vacation in Europe. We took the walking tour with the now retired concierge, Robin van Kooten - this is a must do! He's been in Amsterdam all his life and does this walking tour on the weekends. He showed us several hidden gems that go unnoticed with just a casual stroll on your own or with a tour guide with typical experience. If you dine in the restaurant, you'll be treated to exceptional service from the entire staff. Oliver Clement and chef Sayead went out of their way to ensure our needs were promptly handled and expectations exceeded.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear bobc800,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. It is a pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that our historical hotel was your favorite on your trip through Europe!
I have shared your compliments with the entire team and especially with Sayed and Olivier from our Restaurant Team. They are indeed great Ambassadors for Hotel Pulitzer!

I hope that we will get the chance of welcoming you back to our unique hotel in the near future.

Alex van Gastel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

First couple disclosures:
I booked the room with points, so it may be the reason for the problematic rooms we got.
I am also just a Gold member this year and not platinum, I hope a platinum will not get room 217.

The pluses
- The staff was absolutely amazing and courteous. When we complained twice on two different rooms, they acted swiftly to switch rooms for us and even helped us with a late checkout.
- The location
Close to Dam square but not too close. Right next to Anne Frank house.

The negatives
- The price point. At this price point and being part of Starwood luxury collection, this hotel just don't worth the price. for that price level you can get much more in Amsterdam. I would pay as much as $250 for what you get
- The canal view: we paid 50 Euros extra per night for a canal view and unlike other hotels in the city where canal view is on the canal and at times with balcony, here there is a road between the canal and the building. The view is still beautiful but can get really noisy
- The two apartments stacked on top of another on some floors. For example in level 4, there are "two" level 4 which means very low ceilings resulting in the shower head being one centimeter above my head and I am a very short guy!! you feel you are in a box not a room. (room 317 was fine, but 217 and 411 were very boxy)
- The breakfast buffet price...Unless it is priced for two and I don't think it is, this is the most expensive breakfast buffet I have ever seen!! 34 Euros which is almost $50 per person, when just around the corner two people can have a full, high quality breakfast for less than $30. I stayed in very expensive hotels in the past as St. Regis in Hawaii and I don't think that even there the charge for a breakfast buffet was so high!!
- Renovation!! they are still building or renovating new rooms, in this week (July 2014) it is room 117 I believe. It is perfectly fine for a hotel to do so, but!!! don't give room 217 right above it to your guest. When we complained it was noisy they discovered that 317 is actually vacant (why weren't we given it from the begin with). The next day it was still very very noisy in the morning, so then they realize that actually 411 is available. Do not take any room on floors 1,2,3 since the noise isolation is poor given the historic nature of the building. Floor 4 was ok in that sense.

Again great staff and a good location, but I am not sure you want to pay that price point for a kind staff since quite frankly dutch people in general are awesome and I am sure you will get same service in any other place.

Summary: look elsewhere first in my mind, though I highly recommend SPG!!

Room Tip: Fourth floor or above!! Ask about the low ceilings on some floors.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Isaac K,

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us.
I am sorry to learn that we could not meet you expectations with regards to the products and service provided and I would like to offer you my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Please be assured that I have shared your comments with our Management Team, in order for us to improve the products and services we offer. On a more positive note, I am very pleased to read that your enjoyed the service provided by our staffmembers.

I truly hope that you will allow us the chance of welcoming you back in the near future.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

Stayed at the Pulitzer for 3 nights in mid June with my family. My wife is a Plantinum member of SPG so we were upgraded to a bigger room that actually had a quirky 2nd floor study (desk), quite roomy, clean and vies of the canals from the living room. I agree that this isn't your conventional 5 star SPG Property, but it does have great character and great locations. Above all the service of this property is impeccable. Upon arrival we were greeted by a front desk clerk, Rodrigo Ramos. This gentleman was terrific, asked many questions about our journey and where we were from and was terrific in engaging my 9yr old daughter. Offered her some candy and the following day, noticing that she enjoyed the candy at the front desk, had a full bag for her. This made her feel special and while on vacation with a child it's the little things that stand out. All hotels at this price point are clean & comfortable, but it's the little things that make hotels special. Besides Rodrigo, the concierge at the property was terrific. We travel often, to many different places, rarely visiting the same city twice. So, I'm a traveler that likes to maximize my time in a city and am a bit of a pest of the concierge and constantly asking questions and having daily itineraries and asking for input. Sometimes you get a mixed bag; as if I'm over asking and sometimes not warm. Not in this case, this staff was on point the whole time. THe main concierge I dealt with was Robert, always took the time to give me his input on what he thought of my daily plans and always had great restaurant suggestions for me. In closing, if you are looking for your traditional 5 star, cookie cutter property, don't book this property. This is a unique collection of row houses that were combined into a hotel and offers terrific service.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear PhishyGuy,

I would like to thank you very much for your stay with us last June and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. It is a pleasure to learn that you and your family had a great stay in our historical property and that our staff provided you with exceptional service. I have shared your compliments with the team, especially with Robert and Rodrigo!

I hope that we may welcome you and your family back to our unique hotel, whenever your travels bring you to Amsterdam again.

richmond
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Stayed for a week during the canal concert celebration of 400 years of Amsterdam. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The staff was the most outstanding attribute of the hotel. The concierge was fantastic and led a walking tour of historic Amsterdam. The food was excellent and the ambience was superb. The location along the western ring of canals puts it in walking distance of all the main attractions of the city.

I recommend it highly and would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear GolfguyRichmond,

I would like to thank you very much for your stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, last September. Great to read that you stayed with us during the celebration of 400 years canals in Amsterdam, as we had some interesting celebrations going on in and around the canal belt.
I am pleased to lean that you've enjoyed your stay and that you joined our unique Concierge Walking Tour through the city center of Amsterdam. As they know a lot of hidded gems in the city, this is a unique exprience.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back whenever your travels bring you to Amsterdam again.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

So many luxury hotels are let down by poor staff. This one was a pleasant exception. All the staff were professional, helpful and smiled, all the time. It was so refreshing, especially since arriving from a week in Italy where smiles were non-existent. The staff here made my experience an outstanding one. And the hotel itself is beautiful, with great modern rooms while maintaining a historical facade. Prime positioning along the "Prince's canal" this hotel is superbly positioned within the horse shoe on two of the city's major canals. I could not have been happier with my stay, and look forward to my return.

Room Tip: Every room in the hotel is different, in part due to the historical build design. Just ask nicely a...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear SachaK,

Wow! Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer and for sharing such lovely comments on Tripadvisor. I am very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us, especially with regards to the service provided by our team! Please be assured that I have shared your compliments with all our staffmembers and we are very much looking forward to welcome you back to our historical hotel.

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a handful times in the past. always have a had a nice pleasant experience. obviously the canal view rooms are what you want. No two rooms are exactly the same. seems they have made some updates around. the staff is extremely professional and the location is ultimate, with proximity to all the major sites of Amsterdam. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: canal view rooms. ask for ones the with larger windows they have a much airier feel to them.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear Mobani,

I would like to thank you very much for your most recent stay with us last December and for your continuous loyalty over the past few years. It is great to learn that you've always enjoyed your stays with us, especially with regards to the central location and professionalism of the team.

I would like to thank you again for sharing your experience and hope that we may welcome you back on many more occasions in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

This hotel is a series of renovated canal houses so there are touches of the old in some of the rooms (we had 2 so can compare). My room had wooden beams across the ceiling, the floor was hardwood .... However, ALL of the modern amenities are there. The bathroom was very modern, no skimping at all. The location is perfect. The hotel is in the canal area, just what you would think of for Amsterdam. It is walking distance to just about everything you want to do or see in Amsterdam. It is 2 blocks away from Anne frank's house; this allows you to roll out of bed and get over there to be in line early (go early, the line is very very very long all day). The tram stop is one block away if you want to go further. The staff allowed us to check in early when we explained that we just got off an overnight flight and would like to get cleaned up. Check in is technically at 3pm so that was very nice of them. If I am ever in Amsterdam again, I will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Canal view is nice but noisy. Room looking into the courtyard is better in terms of no street noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Lucymilby,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer last June and for sharing your experience with us.
I am very pleased to learn that you have enjoyed your stay and have appreciated the historical character of the 25 canal houses in which Hotel Pulitzer is located. Great tip on the Anne Frank House as well! It is indeed wise to visit the museum as early as possible, to avoid the queue.

I hope to be welcoming you back to Amsterdam and Hotel Pulitzer in the near future.

Alex van Gastel

Been to Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam? Share your experiences!