“Great Dam Views” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam

You added Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Keizersgracht 224, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel) (Canal Ring (Grachtengordel))   |
Ranked #50 of 357 Hotels in Amsterdam
Los Angeles, California
“Great Dam Views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Stayed at the Pulitzer for 3 nights in mid June with my family. My wife is a Plantinum member of SPG so we were upgraded to a bigger room that actually had a quirky 2nd floor study (desk), quite roomy, clean and vies of the canals from the living room. I agree that this isn't your conventional 5 star SPG Property, but it does have great character and great locations. Above all the service of this property is impeccable. Upon arrival we were greeted by a front desk clerk, Rodrigo Ramos. This gentleman was terrific, asked many questions about our journey and where we were from and was terrific in engaging my 9yr old daughter. Offered her some candy and the following day, noticing that she enjoyed the candy at the front desk, had a full bag for her. This made her feel special and while on vacation with a child it's the little things that stand out. All hotels at this price point are clean & comfortable, but it's the little things that make hotels special. Besides Rodrigo, the concierge at the property was terrific. We travel often, to many different places, rarely visiting the same city twice. So, I'm a traveler that likes to maximize my time in a city and am a bit of a pest of the concierge and constantly asking questions and having daily itineraries and asking for input. Sometimes you get a mixed bag; as if I'm over asking and sometimes not warm. Not in this case, this staff was on point the whole time. THe main concierge I dealt with was Robert, always took the time to give me his input on what he thought of my daily plans and always had great restaurant suggestions for me. In closing, if you are looking for your traditional 5 star, cookie cutter property, don't book this property. This is a unique collection of row houses that were combined into a hotel and offers terrific service.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank PhishyGuy
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear PhishyGuy,

I would like to thank you very much for your stay with us last June and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. It is a pleasure to learn that you and your family had a great stay in our historical property and that our staff provided you with exceptional service. I have shared your compliments with the team, especially with Robert and Rodrigo!

I hope that we may welcome you and your family back to our unique hotel, whenever your travels bring you to Amsterdam again.

richmond
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Stayed for a week during the canal concert celebration of 400 years of Amsterdam. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The staff was the most outstanding attribute of the hotel. The concierge was fantastic and led a walking tour of historic Amsterdam. The food was excellent and the ambience was superb. The location along the western ring of canals puts it in walking distance of all the main attractions of the city.

I recommend it highly and would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear GolfguyRichmond,

I would like to thank you very much for your stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, last September. Great to read that you stayed with us during the celebration of 400 years canals in Amsterdam, as we had some interesting celebrations going on in and around the canal belt.
I am pleased to lean that you've enjoyed your stay and that you joined our unique Concierge Walking Tour through the city center of Amsterdam. As they know a lot of hidded gems in the city, this is a unique exprience.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back whenever your travels bring you to Amsterdam again.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

So many luxury hotels are let down by poor staff. This one was a pleasant exception. All the staff were professional, helpful and smiled, all the time. It was so refreshing, especially since arriving from a week in Italy where smiles were non-existent. The staff here made my experience an outstanding one. And the hotel itself is beautiful, with great modern rooms while maintaining a historical facade. Prime positioning along the "Prince's canal" this hotel is superbly positioned within the horse shoe on two of the city's major canals. I could not have been happier with my stay, and look forward to my return.

Room Tip: Every room in the hotel is different, in part due to the historical build design. Just ask nicely a...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank SachaK
Dear SachaK,

Wow! Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer and for sharing such lovely comments on Tripadvisor. I am very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us, especially with regards to the service provided by our team! Please be assured that I have shared your compliments with all our staffmembers and we are very much looking forward to welcome you back to our historical hotel.

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a handful times in the past. always have a had a nice pleasant experience. obviously the canal view rooms are what you want. No two rooms are exactly the same. seems they have made some updates around. the staff is extremely professional and the location is ultimate, with proximity to all the major sites of Amsterdam. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: canal view rooms. ask for ones the with larger windows they have a much airier feel to them.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Mo N
Dear Mobani,

I would like to thank you very much for your most recent stay with us last December and for your continuous loyalty over the past few years. It is great to learn that you've always enjoyed your stays with us, especially with regards to the central location and professionalism of the team.

I would like to thank you again for sharing your experience and hope that we may welcome you back on many more occasions in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

This hotel is a series of renovated canal houses so there are touches of the old in some of the rooms (we had 2 so can compare). My room had wooden beams across the ceiling, the floor was hardwood .... However, ALL of the modern amenities are there. The bathroom was very modern, no skimping at all. The location is perfect. The hotel is in the canal area, just what you would think of for Amsterdam. It is walking distance to just about everything you want to do or see in Amsterdam. It is 2 blocks away from Anne frank's house; this allows you to roll out of bed and get over there to be in line early (go early, the line is very very very long all day). The tram stop is one block away if you want to go further. The staff allowed us to check in early when we explained that we just got off an overnight flight and would like to get cleaned up. Check in is technically at 3pm so that was very nice of them. If I am ever in Amsterdam again, I will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Canal view is nice but noisy. Room looking into the courtyard is better in terms of no street noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Lucymilby
Dear Lucymilby,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer last June and for sharing your experience with us.
I am very pleased to learn that you have enjoyed your stay and have appreciated the historical character of the 25 canal houses in which Hotel Pulitzer is located. Great tip on the Anne Frank House as well! It is indeed wise to visit the museum as early as possible, to avoid the queue.

I hope to be welcoming you back to Amsterdam and Hotel Pulitzer in the near future.

Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

If you are not looking for too much in a hotel and the location is important for you, Pulitzer is a good choice. The hotel is a bit old, the staff seemed tired somehow but the location was really convinient. Since i was there for a short leisure stay, it was fine for me. I was receognised as a Platinum member and treated accordingly. Fair choice

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank edm-travelfreak
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear edm-travelfreak,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. We are pleased to hear about your experience and sorry to learn that we were not able to exceed your expectations with regards to the products and service we provide.
I truly hope that you have gotten the chance to explore Amsterdam while you were here, as it has a lot to offer.

On behalf of the entire Hotel Pulitzer Team, I hope that we may welcome you back during your next visit to Amsterdam.

Mooresville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

We've stayed at dozens of Starwood properties and approximately 6 luxury collection properties. We found the Hotel Pulitzer to be very accommodating. They upgraded us to a canal view room prior to our stay and the room was sufficiently big, though the bathroom was small. It was clean and modern though and certainly comfortable. It was a bit noisy on Sunday night, but tolerable. Hey, but you get to see the canal from your room!! The location......PRIMO. Character of the hotel.....fantastic. It's a very interesting layout and visually pleasing upon entry. We found the bar and coffee areas very comfortable and the art displays excellent. Restaurant 238 was comfortable for lunch and my wife loved her Croque Madame. While the hotel is a maze of sorts, that is what gives it true character. I would gladly return.

Room Tip: Our canal view room was lovely.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wolfeskin
Dear wolfeskin,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. It is a pleasure to read that you've enjoyed your stay in both Amsterdam and our unique hotel. Great to learn that you and your wife appreciated the historical and unique character of our hotel, as this truly is what Hotel Pulitzer sets itself apart from other hotels in Amsterdam.

I hope that we may welcome you back in the near future.