“Always on point” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315-331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Deal
Save €75 on select meals
Ranked #44 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Orlando, Florida
“Always on point”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I have stayed at this hotel a handful times in the past. always have a had a nice pleasant experience. obviously the canal view rooms are what you want. No two rooms are exactly the same. seems they have made some updates around. the staff is extremely professional and the location is ultimate, with proximity to all the major sites of Amsterdam. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: canal view rooms. ask for ones the with larger windows they have a much airier feel to them.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Mobani,

I would like to thank you very much for your most recent stay with us last December and for your continuous loyalty over the past few years. It is great to learn that you've always enjoyed your stays with us, especially with regards to the central location and professionalism of the team.

I would like to thank you again for sharing your experience and hope that we may welcome you back on many more occasions in the near future.

1,753 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This hotel is a series of renovated canal houses so there are touches of the old in some of the rooms (we had 2 so can compare). My room had wooden beams across the ceiling, the floor was hardwood .... However, ALL of the modern amenities are there. The bathroom was very modern, no skimping at all. The location is perfect. The hotel is in the canal area, just what you would think of for Amsterdam. It is walking distance to just about everything you want to do or see in Amsterdam. It is 2 blocks away from Anne frank's house; this allows you to roll out of bed and get over there to be in line early (go early, the line is very very very long all day). The tram stop is one block away if you want to go further. The staff allowed us to check in early when we explained that we just got off an overnight flight and would like to get cleaned up. Check in is technically at 3pm so that was very nice of them. If I am ever in Amsterdam again, I will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Canal view is nice but noisy. Room looking into the courtyard is better in terms of no street noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Lucymilby,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer last June and for sharing your experience with us.
I am very pleased to learn that you have enjoyed your stay and have appreciated the historical character of the 25 canal houses in which Hotel Pulitzer is located. Great tip on the Anne Frank House as well! It is indeed wise to visit the museum as early as possible, to avoid the queue.

I hope to be welcoming you back to Amsterdam and Hotel Pulitzer in the near future.

Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

If you are not looking for too much in a hotel and the location is important for you, Pulitzer is a good choice. The hotel is a bit old, the staff seemed tired somehow but the location was really convinient. Since i was there for a short leisure stay, it was fine for me. I was receognised as a Platinum member and treated accordingly. Fair choice

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear edm-travelfreak,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. We are pleased to hear about your experience and sorry to learn that we were not able to exceed your expectations with regards to the products and service we provide.
I truly hope that you have gotten the chance to explore Amsterdam while you were here, as it has a lot to offer.

On behalf of the entire Hotel Pulitzer Team, I hope that we may welcome you back during your next visit to Amsterdam.

Mooresville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We've stayed at dozens of Starwood properties and approximately 6 luxury collection properties. We found the Hotel Pulitzer to be very accommodating. They upgraded us to a canal view room prior to our stay and the room was sufficiently big, though the bathroom was small. It was clean and modern though and certainly comfortable. It was a bit noisy on Sunday night, but tolerable. Hey, but you get to see the canal from your room!! The location......PRIMO. Character of the hotel.....fantastic. It's a very interesting layout and visually pleasing upon entry. We found the bar and coffee areas very comfortable and the art displays excellent. Restaurant 238 was comfortable for lunch and my wife loved her Croque Madame. While the hotel is a maze of sorts, that is what gives it true character. I would gladly return.

Room Tip: Our canal view room was lovely.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear wolfeskin,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. It is a pleasure to read that you've enjoyed your stay in both Amsterdam and our unique hotel. Great to learn that you and your wife appreciated the historical and unique character of our hotel, as this truly is what Hotel Pulitzer sets itself apart from other hotels in Amsterdam.

I hope that we may welcome you back in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

This hotel was just okay, and I'm baffled by all of the glowing reviews. My primary complaints: (1) room furnished with generic, cheap hotel furniture; (2) every wall I looked at was scuffed and dinged by luggage; (3) corridors smelled like bad mold; (4) no interior charm whatsoever.

Essentially, this is what happens when Starwood takes what I'm sure was once a characterful hotel in an interesting set of old buildings and gives it the big hotel chain treatment. I really wouldn't stay here again. If you are a Starwood points collector, then the Pulitzer is the best you can do in Amsterdam. But staying at hotels like this make me question why I bother collecting Starwood points in the first place... There are many interesting, small hotels in Amsterdam so there is no reason to stay at the big, charmless corporate place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Schubes03,

I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer and for sharing your experience with us. I am sorry to learn that we could not meet your expectations with regards to the products and services we provide.
Please note that I have shared your feedback with our Executive Committee and it will be taken into consideration when planning for future refurbishments / renovations. Still, I would like to offer you our sincere apologies, as it was never our intention to give you a dissatisfied feeling.

I hope that you will allow us the chance of welcoming you back to our historical hotel in the future.

Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

Hotel Pulitzer is in an ideal in location in Amsterdam. We were walking distance to all the major attractions. Our room was nicely furnished and maintained. The staff were friendly and accommodating. The one thing to be aware of is that the hotel is a collection of canal homes that have been merged together. The connection between the lobby and the rooms can be a bit challenging. Our room required a walk up a short flight of stairs that was very shallow creating a precarious walk up and down them.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear PugglePower,

On behalf of the entire Hotel Pulitzer team, I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at our historical hotel. It is great to learn that you enjoyed our central location in Amsterdam and the friendliness of our team. I hope the layout of our hotel was not too confusing for you, as due to the 25 canal houses we consist out of, Hotel Pulitzer is not like any other hotel in the world.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back whenever your travels bring you to Amsterdam.

Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

This is a Hotel made of small Amsterdam houses. It has wonderful furnishings and is very elegant. Highly recommend the breakfast. Good location to view the canals. It is expensive but worth the extra money.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear TravelLloyd,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. It is a great pleasure to learn that you have enjoyed your stay in our unique canal houses. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our Breakfast Buffet in Restaurant Keizersgracht 238 as well and have shared your compliments with the team.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back to Hotel Pulitzer in the near future.

Alex van Gastel

Been to Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!