“Great location, wonderful staff, ok facilities” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel

You added Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315-331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Offers & Announcements
Enjoy from €75 F
Ranked #45 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Chicago, Illinois
“Great location, wonderful staff, ok facilities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

The location is superb and the staff fantastic - very helpful with plans and suggestions. They made our stay in Amsterdam terrific. However, I'm not sure what I expected, but I found the facilities dated, and in ok condition. Breakfast was wonderful and the hotel restaurant is beautiful - views of canals out of gorgeous windows, great food. Just need to update the rest of the place.

• Stayed June 2014
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear NRMomof4,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. It is a pleasure to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us, especially with regards to the service provided by our staff. I hope you were able to make the most of your time in Amsterdam and explore the city.
I have shared your comment with regards to the facilities with our Executive Committee in order for us to take this into consideration when planning for future renovations / refurbishments.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back in the near future.

Alex van Gastel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

As a loyal Starwood member, I chose this room over the hotel affiliated with the conference I attended and I am so very glad that I did. The location is exceptional for pedestrian touring of the city in Old Amsterdam and near to several attractions (including Anne Frank house) without being in the frantic hustle.
As the hotel is a conglomerate of canal houses, joined together by a maze of hallways and stairs and ramps, this hotel is not for the mobility challenged.
Knowing rooms in Europe are typically quite small, I had booked two rooms for my family (husband and two boys aged 10 and 12) as we had an extended stay for business mixed with pleasure. We arrived quite jet lagged to the hotel, several hours before check-in time due to our flight. Our room(s) were not ready, but we were offered wifi service and to settle into the lounge (unoccupied board room) where there were comfortable chairs, fruits and coffee/ water. This was delightful so as not to have to stay in the bustle of the lobby on a busy weekend around guest turn around, and was greatly appreciated.
Upon returning to check in, we were advised that a suite room was available with an upper loft for the kids and separate bedroom and sitting room for us with a canal view, and were given the option of taking this or keeping our two room booking. We chose the suite room and to my surprise, the points that I had used for the second room booking were credited back to me.
We survived a few days without a coffee maker, but upon requesting one for the room (I cannot function without a starter cup of coffee), it arrived and was complementary with pods refilled every day after whilst we were there (although some days required directed request to do so).
The room was initially outfitted with an air scent/ freshener plugged in, but we disconnected it due to allergic response -- it was put there likely to cover up the funny smell (likely old carpeting) but the windows opened widely with gorgeous canal view and it was very tolerable (wide opening window - not toddler/ early childhood safe by North American standards but absolutely lovely).
The shower/ bathtub was in a niche under the eaves and was a bit challenging due to the positioning - I am 165 cm tall and needed to do some contortions to use it, my husband was less enthusiastic --and the water temperature is quite variable with surges of hot and cold. The kids' room was fantastic with a narrow staircase up to the loft. Again, good for the age of my children, not recommended for youngsters though.
The concierge service was excellent, and other than the recommendation one night to eat in the restaurant in the hotel (see other review) was totally on the mark with hints about pre-booking tickets online to avoid wait-times at museums.
The rooms are quirky/ interesting and have not been over-renovated, allowing the historical features of the houses and the rustic charm to still come through. We loved it overall for a bit of a historical experience, others might find it too rustic and unpolished for a 5 star luxury designation. This is definitely not a cookie cutter location. If you like your corners square and soaring ceilings...maybe not the place for you. If your children are little - beware the large openings in the windows and the narrow steep stairs however you'll be trying to keep your kids out of the canals and bike lanes too and this is the old Amsterdam true to form.
We really enjoyed our time there (8 nights and 9 days) and would definitely revisit this property upon any return.
PS. my son left his beloved blanket there and arrangements were make to have the blanket reunited with its owner. So many reasons to say thank you to the staff! Hartelijk bedankt.

Room Tip: Canal view is a nice option
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Erika M,

On behalf of our entire Hotel Pulitzer Team, I would very much like to thank you for your recent stay with your family. It is a true pleasure to read your review and learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
I have shared your compliments with my team and we are all very much looking forward to welcoming you and your family back to Amsterdam.

New York City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I have stayed at the Pultizer for the last 20+ years on and off over 15 times usually with many many rooms booked. If I had to say a total spend, it would be around 40-50K Euro. It is a kitschy hotel with small rooms with odd shapes and sizes. It has an excellent location and I am writing this review as somebody who has experience at this property.
I am a loyal member in the Starwood program having achieved their highest levels of status etc with both business and pleasure travel over 15 consecutive years. I make travel decisions based upon the Starwood program and usually they treat me right. I have been an online Cheerleader for this hotel for years…..It has always been a favourite of mine. Though after this last stay, I am not sure anymore.

I had contacted the hotel far in advance (3 months) for a suite upgrade. They kindly told me that as they were fully committed, this was not possible….I was fine with this, business is business. As I had a 6 night stay I had requested an executive room with lots of light, which is usually what I receive at the Pulitzer. I had a total of 5 rooms booked over the weekend as I had family and friends coming in to visit. Needless to say the Pulitzer did not honor ANY of my requests and then proceeded to lie to me to tell me that my room was an Executive Room and not a deluxe. This was unacceptable.

The room was horrible and they told me there was nothing else they could change me to as they were sold out? I had a second room but my Aunt is claustrophobic and she couldn't take my room. Her room was also Dark and Small. The room they gave me had three beams of 6’4’’ each across the room, the same size as me….The door to the bathroom was 6’0 high..WE referred to my room as “the Dungeon”. To make things worse, the mattress leaned so heavily to the left….I fought to stay in the middle of the bed all night. The shower was great if you were 5 foot, but I had to kneel to shower. I have never stayed in a room necessitating me to hunch over in fear that I would bang my head anytime I stood. I felt like the damn hobbit! Needless to say at 2AM, jetlagged with a 7 hour time change, I had to use the restroom and I thumped right into that damn bathroom door frame. The room was Dark like a tomb and I insisted that I be switched. The next day, they switched me to a quiet executive room overlooking a maintenance shed and the garden. A Wasted day as I also don’t like having to waste time packing and re packing when a little fore thought on their part could have avoided my time wastage. Who dropped the ball?

My complaint here is not that I didn't receive an upgraded room. My complaint is that nobody took the time to look at a loyal customers upcoming stay and try to slot them in one of their nicer rooms.

To say I am disappointed in the Pulitzer management is an understatement. I addressed my concerns with the duty manager and she didn’t know what had happened? She noted that sometimes when the hotel is full it is difficult to slot out rooms etc. She apologized and said they would look into it, but as I know with busy hotels….that means very little. I never heard any further information about my situation again. With 280+ rooms I find it difficult to swallow that I had been given by far the worst room I have EVER had at the Pulitzer hotel (in 20 years) and probably any hotel. My other paid room was also as stated, not up to par. Overall, not the treatment I had expected as a loyal Pulitzer customer AND a Loyal lifetime Platinum Starwood customer.

This whole stay was just Wrong. I am hopeful this was a onetime snafu and not something that is going to start happening again and again. If it is, The Pulitzer needs to start to look at their management chain and figure out who is doing what and if loyalty is important to them any more?

I complained about my disappointment when I checked in and Again when I spoke to the Duty manager. I never heard from the GM, who must be quite busy.

My advice to fellow travelers would be to align your expectations low and then you will not be disappointed. Some of the rooms are just plain awful so prepare yourself for the lottery. This hotel has an excellent location, good breakfast and a beautiful central garden area. . Management? That is why I give it only 3 * this trip.

Room Tip: Canal view rooms are lovely however come with the noise from the canals.....Cars driving by etc. Ga...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear NYCshopper,

I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay, continuous loyalty over the past years and for sharing your experience with us. As we always strive to improve the level of service we provide, your honest feedback is highly appreciated.
Please be assured that your comments are shared within our Executive Committee in order for us to improve the level of service we provide to our guests and highly valued loyal Starwood Members like yourself.

We are aware that your opinion of our service has been affected by the handling of your concerns and do hope that in time, you may reconsider your position and choose to stay with us again, so we can ensure an exceptional, indigenous experience for you.

Florida, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This hotel is in a great location, within walking distance of virtually all sights and restaurants. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful, and the common areas very nice. If you're into the newer, modern five star hotels, you likely will not relate to this one; if history and quaintness are important, you should love this place. Bottom line, it's a matter of value: If you paid around $250 per night, it's worth a "five" rating; for $500-600 per night, a "three" -- enough said.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear SharkFlorida_USA,

I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and I am happy to learn that you have enjoyed your stay in Amsterdam.

Hotel Pulitzer has indeed a long history and consists out of 25 canal houses, which makes it a unique hotel in the world!

I truly hope that we may welcome you back whenever your travels bring you to Amsterdam again.

Warminster PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Just returned from Hotel Pulitzer and have all great things to say about it. Location, quality of hotel room, helpful concierges....everything was terrific. Husband and I (along with our friends) took a cruise after our visit and the hotel was even fairly close to the port. Would stay there again and again when visiting Amsterdam.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Hope B,

Wow! Thank you very much for such a lovely review on Tripadvisor. It is a pleasure to read that you, your husband and friends have enjoyed your stay with us in Amsterdam. I have shared your compliments with the entire team!

I hope you've had an enjoyable cruise after your stay in Amsterdam and I am looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

We chose this hotel as the location for an annual business conference. The intention was to find a venue that provided an essence of Amsterdam, and we were not disappointed. A collection of linked townhouses, the layout is confusing at first, but cozy and quirky much like the city itself. The only "downside" is that the rooms can be relatively small or oddly shaped; those expecting a standard boxy hotel room and swimming pool may be happier in a generic tower near the airport. The excellent service kept things running smoothly; small inconsistencies were immediately addressed. A very positive experience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear WfromBRU,

On behalf of the entire team, I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. It is great to learn that you've chosen our unique hotel as a location for your business conference and that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

I have shared your compliments with the entire team and we truly hope that we may welcome you back during your next visit to Amsterdam, for business or pleasure!

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Checkin time was 3 pm, we asked for early checkin and not only we didn't get it, the room wasn't ready until almost 6 pm. They told us they will call us when the rooms are ready, so we went for a walk and never got a call. Only after coming back to the hotel, and being very upset, we got the rooms.
We had asked for 2 single or 2 queen beds in each room. After this delay, we got rooms with one queen bed in each!
We had to complain again and that's when they gave us 2 rooms, each on a different side of the hotel.
To top it up, given that the property is an ancient building, there is no sound proofing. So you end up hearing people from next door and even when someone walks in the room above you, you simply feel like they are in your room.

Overall, the location is the only advantage they have here. So if I go back, I'll find an alternative hotel in this neighborhood.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear OVS83,

I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel and for sharing your experience with us. I am very sorry to learn that we were not able to meet your expectations.
Please be assured that I have shared your comments with regards to the room allocation and readiness with our Front Office Manager and his team in order for us to improve the level of service we provide at Reception. Still, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused, as it was never our intention to give you a dissatisfied feeling.

I truly hope that you will allow us the chance to welcome you back during your next visit to Amsterdam.

Alex van Gastel

Been to Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!