“Well located hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315-331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Deal
Save €75 on select meals
Ranked #45 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
“Well located hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

The Pulitzer is right on one of the Amsterdam canals and within walking distance of the centre. The staff are very helpful and attentive, and the breadfast is good (though I had to wait for a table to become free which was unusual in my expericen of this type of hotel). As other reviews have stated, the rooms however are not that great for the price you pay - mine was small, and the shower was not adequate.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Dear Richard F,

I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay and for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. It is a pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your stay at Hotel Pulitzer!
Please accept our sincerest apologies for the fact that you had to wait at breakfast for a table to become available, this is definitely not the service we usually provide and I have shared your feedback with our Food & Beverage Manager in order for us to improve the level of service we provide.

1,765 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

Very nice hotel, with extremely kind staff. The room is very confortable, with a very nice bed. The location is really convenient, close to the Anne Frank's house, as a parameter. Good choice in Amsterdam.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Marco_Cordeiro,

I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. It is great to read that you have enjoyed your stay at Hotel Pulitzer and that you got the chance to explore the unique city of Amsterdam. I have shared your compliments with the team.

I hope that we may welcome you back during your next visit to The Netherlands!

west orange, nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Great hotel in a great location right on the Prinsengracht (canal). Front desk people were wonderful and attentive. Bellmen/porters were great. The downside is that this is a historic hotel made out of a group of 17 th century canal houses ( town houses). Some rooms are great with large windows overlooking the canal or the beautiful inner courtyard while other rooms are in what was the storage attic of these 300 year old beauties, ie claustrophobic. So it's important to know exactly what kind of room you are getting.
The hotel gives you a flavor of what it was like in Holland at it's peak in the 16-17 th century, rather than being at cookie cutter American style hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking the inner court yard. Avoid first floor rooms as they can be noisy. Upper...
Dear isawbones,

On behalf of the entire Hotel Pulitzer Team, I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. Your comments give great insight in how you felt about your stay with us and are highly appreciated.
It is a pleasure to read that you have discovered the rich history the canal houses of Hotel Pulitzer have to offer and indeed; all our 230 rooms are different and have their own unique character.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

I had two rooms at the Hotel Pulitzer for King's Day. Overall this hotel is great and I will absolutely stay here again. The biggest drawback of this property is the actual facility.

Location: Location is great , right on the Prinsengracht, a 2 minute walk from the Anne Frank House, 10 minutes from Dam Square and 20 minutes from the Heineken Brewery. It was a 20 minute taxi or 40 euros from Schiphol Airport.

Food: Breakfast buffet was very good and had your standard fare, cheeses, meats, pastries, dutch pancakes and also champagne. The hotel bar was very good too and i enjoyed the Bitteballen.

Service: Everyone at the hotel is very pleasant and accommodating. I thought the service was excellent.

Room: Room was very small. Bathroom is small. We had a problem with our air conditioning which made the room unbearably hot. The hotel had to put a portable unit in the room. We had a room with two single beds which were very small and uncomfortable. I realize the facility is dated so this is not surprise.

We also took the canal tour on the Tourist which a great ride. I would definitely recommend it.

Overall, great hotel. I would stay here again. I like a cold room when I sleep so I will make sure they put a portable unit in my room.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear EYtraveller,

I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. It is a great pleasure to read that you had an enjoyable time in both our historical hotel and the city of Amsterdam. You sure chose the right moment to be in Amsterdam with all the festivities going on around Kings Day!
Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused with regards to the airconditioning in your room. I truly hope that it did not have too much effect on the comfort of your stay with us.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

As a Gold member of the SPG loyalty programme I checked into the Pulitzer, booking a Delux room, I was then given a standard room, judging by the pictures on the website, complained, then shown another room, again was a standard, they then after arguing they gave me an executive room, which looked just like the Delux room I had booked according to the website description. As gold member having spent over 30 days in SPG hotels so far this year, they say you get an upgrade, so if you book a Delux room you get a better Delux room, if you book standard you get a better standard room,my question is why don't you give the best room of the class at checkin anyway no matter who you are .. The loyalty programme is a scam. Stay at the Dylan, they upgrade to best room available even if you don't join their loyalty club!

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear Martin R,

I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay and for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. As we are constantly trying to improve the level of service we provide, your feedback is very much appreciated.

I am very sorry to learn that we could not meet your expectations with regards to the room allocation. For SPG Gold members, we always try our utmost to allocated an enhanced room and the best room available within the room category booked. Therefore I would like to offer you our sincere apologies for not being able to provide you with a room which met your expectations.

We recognize that we cannot turn back the clock to change what transpired however I truly hope that you are willing to accept our apologies. I hope that you will allow us the chance of welcoming you back to Hotel Pulitzer in the future.

Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Just returned from a 4 night break for a special birthday. I can't fault the hotel. We were greeted by very friendly staff who accommodated our ever need. The food was excellent having sampled the breakfast and evening meal. They also accommodated any dietary requirements. The bar was also very relaxed and friendly. We also sampled some of the best cocktails I have had.
If you stay at the hotel be sure to book a trip on there boat. The boat was very special and only accommodated 12 people and we had a commentary by a knowledgeable captain.
We hope to return soon.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Dear Dawn F,

I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay and your lovely review on Tripadvisor. It is a pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your stay in our historical hotel and I have shared your compliments with the team.
Great to learn that you took a trip on our unique canal boat, did you know that this vessel dates from 1909 and even Winston Churchill took a trip on it?
I am looking forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Pulitzer during your next visit to The Netherlands.

Cary, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

We visited this hotel again for 2 single night stays a week apart and consistency at his hotel is fantastic. 18 months since our last visit nothing changed and this is what makes a great hotel. Really not much more to add after our last stay as it is still outstanding. You really get what you pay for and Sheraton Luxury collections remains fantastic.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Robert B,

I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. It is a pleasure to read that you had a memorable stay again and we are happy to learn that you returned to our historical hotel.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back again as one of our loyal guests during your next visit to Amsterdam!

Alex van Gastel

Been to Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!