“Great stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam

You added Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315 - 331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel) (Canal Ring (Grachtengordel))   |
Ranked #48 of 356 Hotels in Amsterdam
Auckland, New Zealand
“Great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

We enjoyed our 2 night stay at this property, it's made up of many different houses so getting around within the hotel is actuall a bit of fun. The garden in the middle of the hotel is beautiful.

They have one of the best concierge we have come across, full of knowledge about the city, great advice when it comes to museum tickets.

We tried both the classic room & the executive room. Apart from the difference in size, the executive room didn't look any more luxurious than the classic room. Therefore unless you're after the extra square meters in the room, there's really no need to pay the extra price.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear plu81,

I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel and am very pleased to read that your time in Amsterdam was an enjoyable one.
As you say, Hotel Pulitzer consists out of 25 canal houses, all connected to eachother. Did you know that these houses date from the 17th and 18th century?

Once again, I would like to thank you for your stay and for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. I hope that we may welcome you back in the near future.

Alex van Gastel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (551)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

We stayed at this hotel as a pre-cruise stay before boarding our river cruise. What a wonderful hotel with great location! The gardens are beautiful and the rooms are apparently all different. Ours was at the end of a hallway and we had very high ceilings under a dormer. This hotel is made up of 25 different houses and there are at least 4 different elevators. Use a bell man to take your luggage because you will never find your room otherwise. The breakfast is amazing and the home made breads are to die for! Stay here as often as you can!

Dear GeorgiaTravelchick,

Wow, thank you very much for such lovely words! It is great to read that you had a memorable experience while staying with us. I have shared your compliments with the entire team.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back whenever your travels bring you to Amsterdam again.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

We recently spent two nights at the Hotel Pulitzer, which is a Starwood Luxury Collection hotel. I've been traveling to Amsterdam for many years for business and pleasure and have stayed at literally dozens of hotels in the city. Time & time again, the Hotel Pulitzer comes out on top for quality, comfort and location. The hotel staff is among the friendliest I've met anywhere, and could not do enough to make sure we had a welcoming & comfortable stay. The breakfast buffet was also excellent. What makes this hotel interesting is that it's a collection of 28 canal houses that have been joined together and it retains may of the original architectural features. If the weather is nice, the courtyards inside the hotel are a wonderful place for a cup of coffee or a drink. Pulitzer's Bar also makes the best martinis in Amsterdam!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear BobbeeDee,

On behalf of the entire team, I would very much like to thank you for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel.
It is a true pleasure that you have enjoyed your stay and that you learned about the rich history Hotel Pulitzer has to offer!
Great to read that you also have enjoyed our Pulitzers Bar, I have shared your compliments with our bar team!

I truly hope that we may welcome you back to our unique hotel during your next visit to Amsterdam.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stayed at the Pulitzer for 3 nights in April. After 40 hours of travel, it was such a nice surprise to have our room upgraded to an Executive suite for my husband’s birthday. Someone also delivered a delicious birthday cake for him that day too! The room was multi-level in the top portion of a canal house overlooking Prinsengracht. Everything was perfect! I would highly recommend this hotel and will definitely be going back one day.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Dear Lauren W,

Wow, thank you very much for such kind words! It was a true pleasure to have you as our guest and I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay, especially since it was your husbands birthday!

I have shared your compliments with the team and truly hope that we may welcome you back to Hotel Pulitzer in the near future.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Location is the best in the city - right in the heart of the nine streets, 5 minute walk to Anne Frank house, 15 minute walk to Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh, Heineken, and Red Light (opposite direction). Everywhere you turn there are cafes, coffeehouses, boutique shops...very convenient. We did the canal cruise run by the hotel. Small boutique boat for 90 minutes. 38 Euro per person...a little on the expensive side but you expect to pay a premium for luxury. As a SPG member they treated us like gold. We received free internet and two drink tickets at their bar which is one of the best in the city. Great fitness facility and staff was very friendly and helpful. We only stayed here because we had enough SPG points to book the whole stay on points. If I had to pay, we probably wouldn't splurge for this hotel. Save you starpoints and cash in here.

Dear Cindy P,

I would like to thank you very much for your your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. It is great to read that you have enjoyed your stay so much especially with regards to the location and friendliness of our staff. Coming from one of our highly valued SPG Gold members like you, this is very much appreciated!
I truly hope that we may welcome you back to our historical hotel, whenever your travels bring you to Amsterdam again.

Sao Paulo, Brazil
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Location is the best. Five-minute walk to the Royal Palace, some 20 minutes to the "I amsterdam", another 20 minutes walk to the Centraal Station. Plenty of good restaurants, bars and cafes around.

This hotel was built by inter-connecting many of the 16th and 17th century houses in the block, so your room will actually be a room of those old houses. Very charming, but presents its problems.

Each room is different, so you can see many different reviews on the rooms. Some will face the canals and some will face the internal patio and garden. If you review one I suggest you mention the room number.

The room we got (#394) used to be the attic of one of the houses facing the internal patio. It's quite small, but the usual "European small" hotel room. The top highlights were it's quietness and very comfortable bed. The lows were lack of light (just the attic window) and the bathroom ceiling, especially in the tub. Anyone taller than 1.8m (5'10) would need to bend their necks to fit (I'm 1.75m, 5'9 and just fit in there). One kinda weird detail was the floor, the leaned towards the center.

Hotel staff is very friendly too. The concierge folks know their stuff and gave us recommendations suitable to what we'd like to do and how much we were willing to spend.

The breakfast at the Restaurant is topnotch, with plenty of fruits, breads, jams, good scrambled eggs and other stuff you can order. Service is a bit slow for what I'm used to, but no much different than other restaurants in Amsterdam.

The lowest point though was Internet access quality, unacceptable for such upscale hotel. Slow (3Mbps in the best moments) and very flaky. If you're planning doing Internet calls, be ready for long periods of break-ups, like 30 to 40 seconds every few minutes. I got better speeds and stability with open and free internet in cafes and restaurants.

In summary, I stayed here on SPG points and don't regret it, but I'm not sure I'd stay on my own dime. I guess I could get better value for the dollar from other hotels, unless I got a much better room than this #394.

Room Tip: Each room is different. Ask to see it before checking in.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear mauronr,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer and for sharing such a detailed review regarding your experience. As we are always striving to improve the products and service we provide, your feedback is highly appreciated.
I am very pleased to learn that you had a good stay overall, especially with regards to the location of the hotel and the friendliness of the staff.
Please note that I have shared your feedback with regards to the WIFI connection with our IT Manager in order for us to improve the speed and stability of the connection we provide. Still, I would like to offer you our sincere apologies for the experienced inconvenience.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back to Hotel Pulitzer during your next visit to The Netherlands.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

To their credit we finally got moved to an executive room. Do not stay here if they offer you less.

We arrives at check in time 3pm to be told "we are just switching things round to get you a nice room" during the next hour and 15 we were told the same thing, we were then fobbed off with 4 free coffee vouchers and told to wait in the cafe area. We waited and waited and waited.Finally after refusing to move from reception we were given a key - OMG what a shock, we walked into a dingy twin bedded room the complete opposite of what we asked for and what we had booked.
Back down to reception we go and ask for the manager, now an hour and a half after check in. We now get taken to another room "deluxe room" this again was not as you see in the hotel brochure - Bathroom ceiling peeling, horrible painted yellow prison like concrete walls and a double bed that was barely a double. As I said they did upgrade us the next day. But to be clear a boutique hotel this is not. There must be better in the City so please explore before you book here.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Honeybonnet,

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel and I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us.
Your detailed comments are truly helpful in understanding how you felt about your stay and are highly appreciated.

Please accept our sincere apologies for not being able to meet your expectations with regards to the room you were allocated. Furthermore, I would like to sincerely apologize for the waiting time before your room was ready. I have shared your feedback with our Front Office Manager in order for us to improve the level of service we provide at the Front Desk.

We recognize that we cannot turn back the clock to change what transpired however I truly hope that you are willing to accept our apologies.