“Stay for the location, make sure you see the room before checking in” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel

You added Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315-331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Offers & Announcements
Enjoy from €75 F
Ranked #45 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Sao Paulo, Brazil
“Stay for the location, make sure you see the room before checking in”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Location is the best. Five-minute walk to the Royal Palace, some 20 minutes to the "I amsterdam", another 20 minutes walk to the Centraal Station. Plenty of good restaurants, bars and cafes around.

This hotel was built by inter-connecting many of the 16th and 17th century houses in the block, so your room will actually be a room of those old houses. Very charming, but presents its problems.

Each room is different, so you can see many different reviews on the rooms. Some will face the canals and some will face the internal patio and garden. If you review one I suggest you mention the room number.

The room we got (#394) used to be the attic of one of the houses facing the internal patio. It's quite small, but the usual "European small" hotel room. The top highlights were it's quietness and very comfortable bed. The lows were lack of light (just the attic window) and the bathroom ceiling, especially in the tub. Anyone taller than 1.8m (5'10) would need to bend their necks to fit (I'm 1.75m, 5'9 and just fit in there). One kinda weird detail was the floor, the leaned towards the center.

Hotel staff is very friendly too. The concierge folks know their stuff and gave us recommendations suitable to what we'd like to do and how much we were willing to spend.

The breakfast at the Restaurant is topnotch, with plenty of fruits, breads, jams, good scrambled eggs and other stuff you can order. Service is a bit slow for what I'm used to, but no much different than other restaurants in Amsterdam.

The lowest point though was Internet access quality, unacceptable for such upscale hotel. Slow (3Mbps in the best moments) and very flaky. If you're planning doing Internet calls, be ready for long periods of break-ups, like 30 to 40 seconds every few minutes. I got better speeds and stability with open and free internet in cafes and restaurants.

In summary, I stayed here on SPG points and don't regret it, but I'm not sure I'd stay on my own dime. I guess I could get better value for the dollar from other hotels, unless I got a much better room than this #394.

Room Tip: Each room is different. Ask to see it before checking in.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear mauronr,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer and for sharing such a detailed review regarding your experience. As we are always striving to improve the products and service we provide, your feedback is highly appreciated.
I am very pleased to learn that you had a good stay overall, especially with regards to the location of the hotel and the friendliness of the staff.
Please note that I have shared your feedback with regards to the WIFI connection with our IT Manager in order for us to improve the speed and stability of the connection we provide. Still, I would like to offer you our sincere apologies for the experienced inconvenience.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back to Hotel Pulitzer during your next visit to The Netherlands.

Alex van Gastel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

To their credit we finally got moved to an executive room. Do not stay here if they offer you less.

We arrives at check in time 3pm to be told "we are just switching things round to get you a nice room" during the next hour and 15 we were told the same thing, we were then fobbed off with 4 free coffee vouchers and told to wait in the cafe area. We waited and waited and waited.Finally after refusing to move from reception we were given a key - OMG what a shock, we walked into a dingy twin bedded room the complete opposite of what we asked for and what we had booked.
Back down to reception we go and ask for the manager, now an hour and a half after check in. We now get taken to another room "deluxe room" this again was not as you see in the hotel brochure - Bathroom ceiling peeling, horrible painted yellow prison like concrete walls and a double bed that was barely a double. As I said they did upgrade us the next day. But to be clear a boutique hotel this is not. There must be better in the City so please explore before you book here.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Honeybonnet,

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel and I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us.
Your detailed comments are truly helpful in understanding how you felt about your stay and are highly appreciated.

Please accept our sincere apologies for not being able to meet your expectations with regards to the room you were allocated. Furthermore, I would like to sincerely apologize for the waiting time before your room was ready. I have shared your feedback with our Front Office Manager in order for us to improve the level of service we provide at the Front Desk.

We recognize that we cannot turn back the clock to change what transpired however I truly hope that you are willing to accept our apologies.

Newcastle, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

I would definitely recommend this hotel and If ever you need help I would highly recommend this hotel....my first afternoon in Ámsterdam I fell at the Anne Frank Museum on the top stair...the museum called the Pullitzer...two of them arrived from the hotel with a wheelchair...brought me back to the hotel...called a doctor then one of them went down the street to pharmacy and waited two hours for bandages, prescription etc. I arrived back a week later the night before flying out and needed attention again...I was on my own and felt very safe both times.
Gardens are beautiful...rooms are comfortable along with comfortable bed....not spacious...but sufficient...an Expresso Bar for breakfast or lunch and you could sit outside in the garden.
I found the front desk people very helpful...as well as the concierge..

Room Tip: Overlooking canal or garden
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Dear JJiggs,

On behalf of the entire Hotel Pulitzer Team, I would like to thank you very much for your 2 recent stays and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.
I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed both of your stays in our unique hotel and that the staff was very helpful, especially with regards to the injury you suffered.

I have shared your review with the entire team and we all hope that we may welcome you back whenever your travels bring you to Amsterdam again, hopefully without any injuries then!

Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

We have stayed at the Pulitzer multiple times and would not want to stay anywhere else in Amsterdam. The location is perfect, the hotel is charming and unique and the service is excellent. We will be back.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Debra L,

I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel and for your continued loyalty. It is great to read that you've always enjoyed your stays in our unique hotel and that you are planning to return!

On behalf of the entire Hotel Pulitzer Team, I am very much looking forward to welcoming you back to our historical canal houses.

garnet valley, pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

I stayed here in May 2013 with my partner. We wanted a nice hotel that overlooked a canal in a nice area that wasn't too busy. When I booked I called ahead and requested a room on the top floor with exposed beams and arched ceilings. The room we got was very nice but the only unique feature was exposed beams, the room was second from the top floor, and the wall that faced the canal was composed of all windows which was very nice. I would have just loved it if it was on the top floor with arched ceilings. This room was an average size, with a queen bed, and the bathroom floor was heated marble. We had no problems with the room or anything.

The upsides: 1 - Heated marble bathroom floor. 2 - Wall of windows overlooking canal. 3 - Great quite location yet close to everything and the tram stop is just around the corner. 4 - Concierge available. 5 - 24/7 Fitness center. 6 - Computers with printers near lobby to check in and print airline tickets etc. 7 - Free WiFi in lobby. 8 - The canal boat ride is probably the best one in Amsterdam.

The downsides: 1 - Breakfast was included in my stay and one morning I brought it up to my partner in the room, so I asked for a tray, and they handed me a old-looking kitchen tray of some kind, someone saw it and replaced it with a nicer wooden tray. I had a similar experience when I asked for a lighter blanket for the bed, was brought a heavy scratchy one that did not look nice at all, they had to come back up with a lighter softer one. For a hotel of this price I would expect them to know to give guests nicer things on the first try. 2 - We got espresso from the cafe one time and it was just Nesspresso - not even real esspresso and it was about 4 euros or possibly more. Totally not worth it. 3 - Not the hotel's fault but the weather was not nice enough during out stay to sit out in their courtyard, which looked nice but not as nice as the photos on the website. 4 - Have to pay for WiFi.

Tourism Tips: We did use the concierge to find ideas of what to do. On a rainy day, they suggested a flea market in Jordaan but when we walked there we couldn't find it anywhere. I would suggest talking to the concierge and scheduling things on your first day, as most trips are group trips that leave early in the morning and the weather may play a factor. On our last full day we took the Pulitzer's canal boat ride which was excellent - couldn't have asked for a better one. I would recommend to do this on your first day so you have an idea of the different areas in Amsterdam. I do definitely recommend going to Anne Frank's house which is only a block or 2 away.

Weather: Unfortunately we only had about 2 good days free of rain and that weren't too cold. Whenever I go back to Amsterdam again I will be going in August so it's warmer. There is some things I would have liked to have done if the weather was better.

Food: I recommend eating at TerraZen Cafe, De Boulhead, The Flying Saucer, and especially The Golden Temple. We ate Maoz every night which is amazing as well and open late.

Price: I used Starwood points to pay to receive a cheaper rate and also had enough for a free night, and I think the special on the website at the time included a free night as well. Because of all of this it was a good value for the hotel. It ended up being about $1000 more for a week than the nice Hostel (with private rooms) we were going to stay at at first. I thought that was worth it to be able to overlook a canal and have a bigger upscale room, plus earn more Starwood points.

Room Tip: All rooms are unique - ask about them and request a room you may like - which you may or may not be...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear veganbunnyandcubby,

I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay and for writing such an extended and informative review on Tripadvisor.
At Hotel Pulitzer, we are always trying to improve the level of service we provide, therefore your feedback is highly appreciated.
Please be assured that I have shared your comments with the several Department Heads in order for us to improve our products and services. Still, I would like to offer your our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Great to read that you took a trip on our canal boat, The Tourist. Did you know that this unique boat dates from 1909 and that even Winston Churcill took a trip on it once?

Once again, I would very much like to thank you for your comments and I hope we may welcome you back during your next visit to Amsterdam.

manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Beautiful building. Excellent location.

Apart from that okay, not up to Starwood usual standard.
'Heavenly bed' was needing replacing.
Asked if they could open our window(fastened shut).They neither did it, nor came back to us to say they couldn't.
Had meal in the bar (chicken Caesar salad) chicken wasn't cooked through red in places, they did admit this and deducted it from our bill but put me off completely.
The Pulitzer is expensive which is fine but I do expect something more than average.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear ManchesterSue,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. At Hotel Pulitzer, we always strive to improve our services, therefore your feedback is highly appreciated.
Please note that I have shared your comments with regards to the quality of the bed, the window and the restaurant experience with our department heads in order for us to improve the products and services we provide. Still, I would like to offer you our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused, as it was never our intention to give you a dissatisfied feeling.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back in the future, so we can ensure an indigenous and memorable experience for you.

Oxford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Friends had recommended this hotel from years ago, when it may have been in private ownership. It is now part of the Starwood Group. Clearly large sums of money have been spent on it and it is immaculate. The staff are excellent. However, it has no atmosphere whatsoever. An attempt has been made to interest guests by displaying very ordinary contemporary paintings on the long trek to the bar and restaurant. The bar is ridiculously underlit , the service is courteous but slow. It is , in fact, a disaster for some one who just wants to read the paper. We did not try the restaurant. The bedroom, when we got the one for which we had paid on day two, was very comfortable and quite spacious. Getting a wanted channel on the TV was ridiculously difficult. Everything else was OK. The guests were a pretty dowdy, underdressed lot, the predominant colour of their clothes being black or denim blue. We saw noone of interest Still, it is
undeniably a very well run hotel, and is well located.

Room Tip: Insist on a room overlooking the "garden"
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear AstonOxford,

On behalf of the entire Hotel Pulitzer Team, I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay with us and for providing us with feedback. As we are always trying to improve our service, your comments are highly appreciated.
I am happy to learn that you had an enjoyable experience overall. Please note that I have shared your comments with regards to the lighting and service in the bar and the TV in your room with our Management Team in order for us to improve the products and service we provide. Still, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back to our historical hotel during your next visit to The Netherlands.

Alex van Gastel

Been to Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!