“Upscale Canal View Vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam

You added Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315 - 331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel)   |
Ranked #48 of 351 Hotels in Amsterdam
garnet valley, pa
“Upscale Canal View Vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

I stayed here in May 2013 with my partner. We wanted a nice hotel that overlooked a canal in a nice area that wasn't too busy. When I booked I called ahead and requested a room on the top floor with exposed beams and arched ceilings. The room we got was very nice but the only unique feature was exposed beams, the room was second from the top floor, and the wall that faced the canal was composed of all windows which was very nice. I would have just loved it if it was on the top floor with arched ceilings. This room was an average size, with a queen bed, and the bathroom floor was heated marble. We had no problems with the room or anything.

The upsides: 1 - Heated marble bathroom floor. 2 - Wall of windows overlooking canal. 3 - Great quite location yet close to everything and the tram stop is just around the corner. 4 - Concierge available. 5 - 24/7 Fitness center. 6 - Computers with printers near lobby to check in and print airline tickets etc. 7 - Free WiFi in lobby. 8 - The canal boat ride is probably the best one in Amsterdam.

The downsides: 1 - Breakfast was included in my stay and one morning I brought it up to my partner in the room, so I asked for a tray, and they handed me a old-looking kitchen tray of some kind, someone saw it and replaced it with a nicer wooden tray. I had a similar experience when I asked for a lighter blanket for the bed, was brought a heavy scratchy one that did not look nice at all, they had to come back up with a lighter softer one. For a hotel of this price I would expect them to know to give guests nicer things on the first try. 2 - We got espresso from the cafe one time and it was just Nesspresso - not even real esspresso and it was about 4 euros or possibly more. Totally not worth it. 3 - Not the hotel's fault but the weather was not nice enough during out stay to sit out in their courtyard, which looked nice but not as nice as the photos on the website. 4 - Have to pay for WiFi.

Tourism Tips: We did use the concierge to find ideas of what to do. On a rainy day, they suggested a flea market in Jordaan but when we walked there we couldn't find it anywhere. I would suggest talking to the concierge and scheduling things on your first day, as most trips are group trips that leave early in the morning and the weather may play a factor. On our last full day we took the Pulitzer's canal boat ride which was excellent - couldn't have asked for a better one. I would recommend to do this on your first day so you have an idea of the different areas in Amsterdam. I do definitely recommend going to Anne Frank's house which is only a block or 2 away.

Weather: Unfortunately we only had about 2 good days free of rain and that weren't too cold. Whenever I go back to Amsterdam again I will be going in August so it's warmer. There is some things I would have liked to have done if the weather was better.

Food: I recommend eating at TerraZen Cafe, De Boulhead, The Flying Saucer, and especially The Golden Temple. We ate Maoz every night which is amazing as well and open late.

Price: I used Starwood points to pay to receive a cheaper rate and also had enough for a free night, and I think the special on the website at the time included a free night as well. Because of all of this it was a good value for the hotel. It ended up being about $1000 more for a week than the nice Hostel (with private rooms) we were going to stay at at first. I thought that was worth it to be able to overlook a canal and have a bigger upscale room, plus earn more Starwood points.

Room Tip: All rooms are unique - ask about them and request a room you may like - which you may or may not be...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear veganbunnyandcubby,

I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay and for writing such an extended and informative review on Tripadvisor.
At Hotel Pulitzer, we are always trying to improve the level of service we provide, therefore your feedback is highly appreciated.
Please be assured that I have shared your comments with the several Department Heads in order for us to improve our products and services. Still, I would like to offer your our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Great to read that you took a trip on our canal boat, The Tourist. Did you know that this unique boat dates from 1909 and that even Winston Churcill took a trip on it once?

Once again, I would very much like to thank you for your comments and I hope we may welcome you back during your next visit to Amsterdam.

Alex van Gastel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Beautiful building. Excellent location.

Apart from that okay, not up to Starwood usual standard.
'Heavenly bed' was needing replacing.
Asked if they could open our window(fastened shut).They neither did it, nor came back to us to say they couldn't.
Had meal in the bar (chicken Caesar salad) chicken wasn't cooked through red in places, they did admit this and deducted it from our bill but put me off completely.
The Pulitzer is expensive which is fine but I do expect something more than average.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear ManchesterSue,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. At Hotel Pulitzer, we always strive to improve our services, therefore your feedback is highly appreciated.
Please note that I have shared your comments with regards to the quality of the bed, the window and the restaurant experience with our department heads in order for us to improve the products and services we provide. Still, I would like to offer you our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused, as it was never our intention to give you a dissatisfied feeling.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back in the future, so we can ensure an indigenous and memorable experience for you.

Oxford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Friends had recommended this hotel from years ago, when it may have been in private ownership. It is now part of the Starwood Group. Clearly large sums of money have been spent on it and it is immaculate. The staff are excellent. However, it has no atmosphere whatsoever. An attempt has been made to interest guests by displaying very ordinary contemporary paintings on the long trek to the bar and restaurant. The bar is ridiculously underlit , the service is courteous but slow. It is , in fact, a disaster for some one who just wants to read the paper. We did not try the restaurant. The bedroom, when we got the one for which we had paid on day two, was very comfortable and quite spacious. Getting a wanted channel on the TV was ridiculously difficult. Everything else was OK. The guests were a pretty dowdy, underdressed lot, the predominant colour of their clothes being black or denim blue. We saw noone of interest Still, it is
undeniably a very well run hotel, and is well located.

Room Tip: Insist on a room overlooking the "garden"
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear AstonOxford,

On behalf of the entire Hotel Pulitzer Team, I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay with us and for providing us with feedback. As we are always trying to improve our service, your comments are highly appreciated.
I am happy to learn that you had an enjoyable experience overall. Please note that I have shared your comments with regards to the lighting and service in the bar and the TV in your room with our Management Team in order for us to improve the products and service we provide. Still, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back to our historical hotel during your next visit to The Netherlands.

Carlisle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

We recently spent 3 nights at the Pulitzer in a canal view Executive Room. The room was great and a good size, with huge windows and a lovely view. Nice marble bathroom, though a bit on the small side. The hotel is made up of 17th century houses, so is a bit quirky in terms of layout - which just adds to the charm really.

There are nice courtyard gardens, which is a pleasant space to sit and while away a few minutes with a cup of coffee.

Really don't understand the recent very negative review of the hotel and staff. We found that the front desk staff, in particular, were among the friendliest we've ever come across in any hotel anywhere. The concierges were also excellent.

As others have noted, the hotel is in a wonderful location. Yes, you can hear the Westerkerk church bell chiming the hours, but that didn't bother us at all. The whole neighbourhood is fabulous, possibly the nicest part of Amsterdam, and just about everything is in walking distance. We did the special 'concierge walking tour' which runs on a Saturday morning and was just brilliant.

The Pulitzer Bar was a great place to come back to each evening for a nightcap or two. Friendly staff, good service, and drink prices not outlandish.

If there is a negative - apart from this being an expensive hotel! - it would be the service in Keizer 238 restaurant, both at breakfast and lunch. Whilst it was OK, it wasn't stellar. Oh, and the coffee at breakfast was pretty weak - we used the Nespresso machine, which was much better!

All in all, this will be our first choice hotel when we return to Amsterdam later this year.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear SmartAlec,

Wow! Thank you very much for writing such a lovely review about your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel! It is great to read that you had a memorable stay in our historical hotel and that you enjoyed the room, location and friendliness of the staff.
Please accept our sincere apologies for not being able to meet your expectations with regards to the service in our Restaurant Keizersgracht 238. I have shared your feedback with our Food & Beverage Manager in order for us to improve the level of service we provide there.

It is very nice to read that you did our Concierge Tour as well! Being members of Les Clefs d'Or, our concierges know a lot of hidden gems Amsterdam has to offer.

I am very much looking forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Pulitzer later this year.

Tampa, Fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

I've been to Amsterdam many times and always wanted to stay at the Pulitzer. My expectations were high. I was not disappointed! The staff were gracious at every turn, the linens were luxury and the courtyard heavenly peaceful. Ask for a ground level room to enjoy the courtyard. The only negative thing I could mention is the music choice in the bar. They have pictures a rock stars on the walls but were playing awful elevator music.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear trvlgfool,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer and for sharing your feedback with us. I am very happy to learn that you had a great stay at our historical hotel especially with regards to the staff, our bedlinen en the inner gardens.
Please note that I have shared your comment regarding the music in our Pulitzers Bar with our Food & Beverage Manager and it will be taken into consideration.

I hope that we may welcome you back whenever your travels bring you to The Netherlands again.

new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Each room has its own character. We visited in September and I haven't had a chance to write. At first, we were given a small, dark room that had an odor from cleaning supplies. When I mentioned the odor, the desk changed our room to a spacious attic room overlooking the garden. The concierge and desk were most helpful. We enjoyed our 4 night stay immensely.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear arandar,

I would like to thank you very much for your stay at Hotel Pulitzer last year September and for sharing your experience with us.
I am very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable and comfortable stay and that you have enjoyed the room you were given after the room change. As the hotel consists out of 25 different canal houses, all our rooms are different and have their own unique story.

We all hope that we may welcome you back to Hotel Pulitzer in the near future.

Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

Stayed 3 nights in November here. What you would expect from a star starwood hotel. Service was great at front desk and throughout the hotel. The room was clean and the room was cleaned twice a day (in the morning and later at night there was a turndown service).

The hotel is in a heritage building so is a bit older, but added character. The location was great, right near the 9 streets with amazing shopping, while still a short walk from the tourist attractions.

As a platinum member, I was upgraded to a canal view room and had the breakfast buffet every morning of my stay. The buffet was fantastic, a huge selection of food and great service. I truly enjoyed my stay and would recommend the hotel to anyone with the budget to splurge

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear jtung65,

I would like to thank you very much for your stay with us last year and for taking the time to share your expeience with us. Your comments are highly appreciated, especially coming for one of our valued SPG Platinum members.
I am very pleased to learn that you had a pleasant and comfortable sty in Hotel Pulitzer and hope that you had the time to explore the unique city center of Amsterdam.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back whenever your travels bring you to Amsterdam again.

Alex van Gastel

Been to Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam? Share your experiences!