“Our stay at the Pulitzer” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam

You added Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315 - 331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel) (Canal Ring (Grachtengordel))   |
Ranked #48 of 356 Hotels in Amsterdam
Oxford
“Our stay at the Pulitzer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Friends had recommended this hotel from years ago, when it may have been in private ownership. It is now part of the Starwood Group. Clearly large sums of money have been spent on it and it is immaculate. The staff are excellent. However, it has no atmosphere whatsoever. An attempt has been made to interest guests by displaying very ordinary contemporary paintings on the long trek to the bar and restaurant. The bar is ridiculously underlit , the service is courteous but slow. It is , in fact, a disaster for some one who just wants to read the paper. We did not try the restaurant. The bedroom, when we got the one for which we had paid on day two, was very comfortable and quite spacious. Getting a wanted channel on the TV was ridiculously difficult. Everything else was OK. The guests were a pretty dowdy, underdressed lot, the predominant colour of their clothes being black or denim blue. We saw noone of interest Still, it is
undeniably a very well run hotel, and is well located.

Room Tip: Insist on a room overlooking the "garden"
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear AstonOxford,

On behalf of the entire Hotel Pulitzer Team, I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay with us and for providing us with feedback. As we are always trying to improve our service, your comments are highly appreciated.
I am happy to learn that you had an enjoyable experience overall. Please note that I have shared your comments with regards to the lighting and service in the bar and the TV in your room with our Management Team in order for us to improve the products and service we provide. Still, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back to our historical hotel during your next visit to The Netherlands.

Alex van Gastel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (551)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Carlisle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

We recently spent 3 nights at the Pulitzer in a canal view Executive Room. The room was great and a good size, with huge windows and a lovely view. Nice marble bathroom, though a bit on the small side. The hotel is made up of 17th century houses, so is a bit quirky in terms of layout - which just adds to the charm really.

There are nice courtyard gardens, which is a pleasant space to sit and while away a few minutes with a cup of coffee.

Really don't understand the recent very negative review of the hotel and staff. We found that the front desk staff, in particular, were among the friendliest we've ever come across in any hotel anywhere. The concierges were also excellent.

As others have noted, the hotel is in a wonderful location. Yes, you can hear the Westerkerk church bell chiming the hours, but that didn't bother us at all. The whole neighbourhood is fabulous, possibly the nicest part of Amsterdam, and just about everything is in walking distance. We did the special 'concierge walking tour' which runs on a Saturday morning and was just brilliant.

The Pulitzer Bar was a great place to come back to each evening for a nightcap or two. Friendly staff, good service, and drink prices not outlandish.

If there is a negative - apart from this being an expensive hotel! - it would be the service in Keizer 238 restaurant, both at breakfast and lunch. Whilst it was OK, it wasn't stellar. Oh, and the coffee at breakfast was pretty weak - we used the Nespresso machine, which was much better!

All in all, this will be our first choice hotel when we return to Amsterdam later this year.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear SmartAlec,

Wow! Thank you very much for writing such a lovely review about your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel! It is great to read that you had a memorable stay in our historical hotel and that you enjoyed the room, location and friendliness of the staff.
Please accept our sincere apologies for not being able to meet your expectations with regards to the service in our Restaurant Keizersgracht 238. I have shared your feedback with our Food & Beverage Manager in order for us to improve the level of service we provide there.

It is very nice to read that you did our Concierge Tour as well! Being members of Les Clefs d'Or, our concierges know a lot of hidden gems Amsterdam has to offer.

I am very much looking forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Pulitzer later this year.

Tampa, Fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

I've been to Amsterdam many times and always wanted to stay at the Pulitzer. My expectations were high. I was not disappointed! The staff were gracious at every turn, the linens were luxury and the courtyard heavenly peaceful. Ask for a ground level room to enjoy the courtyard. The only negative thing I could mention is the music choice in the bar. They have pictures a rock stars on the walls but were playing awful elevator music.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear trvlgfool,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer and for sharing your feedback with us. I am very happy to learn that you had a great stay at our historical hotel especially with regards to the staff, our bedlinen en the inner gardens.
Please note that I have shared your comment regarding the music in our Pulitzers Bar with our Food & Beverage Manager and it will be taken into consideration.

I hope that we may welcome you back whenever your travels bring you to The Netherlands again.

new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Each room has its own character. We visited in September and I haven't had a chance to write. At first, we were given a small, dark room that had an odor from cleaning supplies. When I mentioned the odor, the desk changed our room to a spacious attic room overlooking the garden. The concierge and desk were most helpful. We enjoyed our 4 night stay immensely.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear arandar,

I would like to thank you very much for your stay at Hotel Pulitzer last year September and for sharing your experience with us.
I am very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable and comfortable stay and that you have enjoyed the room you were given after the room change. As the hotel consists out of 25 different canal houses, all our rooms are different and have their own unique story.

We all hope that we may welcome you back to Hotel Pulitzer in the near future.

Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

Stayed 3 nights in November here. What you would expect from a star starwood hotel. Service was great at front desk and throughout the hotel. The room was clean and the room was cleaned twice a day (in the morning and later at night there was a turndown service).

The hotel is in a heritage building so is a bit older, but added character. The location was great, right near the 9 streets with amazing shopping, while still a short walk from the tourist attractions.

As a platinum member, I was upgraded to a canal view room and had the breakfast buffet every morning of my stay. The buffet was fantastic, a huge selection of food and great service. I truly enjoyed my stay and would recommend the hotel to anyone with the budget to splurge

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear jtung65,

I would like to thank you very much for your stay with us last year and for taking the time to share your expeience with us. Your comments are highly appreciated, especially coming for one of our valued SPG Platinum members.
I am very pleased to learn that you had a pleasant and comfortable sty in Hotel Pulitzer and hope that you had the time to explore the unique city center of Amsterdam.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back whenever your travels bring you to Amsterdam again.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

Hard to believe they are part of the Luxury Collection of Starwood. Room is a typical small small European Room - would be fine if I were paying small hotel European rates? Horrible staff- rude-slow... And I'm a platinum member and they could care less...just finished staying at SPG properties around Europe and this place is a joke! Internet in room didn't work..don't get me wrong - an ok room in Amsterdam just NOT a 5 star Luxury collection Hotel?......wow how did SPG MISS THIS.

Room Tip: The best room here is at another hotel...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Robert Z,

I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel and for sharing your experience with us. Your honest feedback is very much appreciated as we are always trying to improve the products and services we provide.
I am very sorry to learn that we could not meet your expectations, especially as you are one of our highly valued SPG Platinum members and I truly hope that you are willing to accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Once again, I would like to thank you for sharing your thought and I truly hope that you will allow us the chance to welcoming you back in the future.

Soddy Daisy, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

This hotel treated myself and hubby as royalty celebrating our 25th anniversary with champagne and strawberries along with upgraded room. They always went above and beyond any request and were always professional and helpful i every way. LOVED IT!!!!

Room Tip: our room was beautiful and quiet and so comforatable.....would love to visit again.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear pollywally1,

I would like to thank you very much for your stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. We are very honored that you have chosed our unique hotel as a home away from home to celebrate your 25th anniversary and once again, we would like to congratulate you on reaching this milestone!

I am very pleased to read that you had a memorable stay, especially since it was such a special occasion. I have shared your compliments with the entire team and we all hope that we may welcome you back in the near future. Perhaps for another celebration?