“What you would expect from a starwood chain and more!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam

You added Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315 - 331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel)   |
Ranked #51 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
Vancouver
“What you would expect from a starwood chain and more!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

Stayed 3 nights in November here. What you would expect from a star starwood hotel. Service was great at front desk and throughout the hotel. The room was clean and the room was cleaned twice a day (in the morning and later at night there was a turndown service).

The hotel is in a heritage building so is a bit older, but added character. The location was great, right near the 9 streets with amazing shopping, while still a short walk from the tourist attractions.

As a platinum member, I was upgraded to a canal view room and had the breakfast buffet every morning of my stay. The buffet was fantastic, a huge selection of food and great service. I truly enjoyed my stay and would recommend the hotel to anyone with the budget to splurge

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear jtung65,

I would like to thank you very much for your stay with us last year and for taking the time to share your expeience with us. Your comments are highly appreciated, especially coming for one of our valued SPG Platinum members.
I am very pleased to learn that you had a pleasant and comfortable sty in Hotel Pulitzer and hope that you had the time to explore the unique city center of Amsterdam.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back whenever your travels bring you to Amsterdam again.

Alex van Gastel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

Hard to believe they are part of the Luxury Collection of Starwood. Room is a typical small small European Room - would be fine if I were paying small hotel European rates? Horrible staff- rude-slow... And I'm a platinum member and they could care less...just finished staying at SPG properties around Europe and this place is a joke! Internet in room didn't work..don't get me wrong - an ok room in Amsterdam just NOT a 5 star Luxury collection Hotel?......wow how did SPG MISS THIS.

Room Tip: The best room here is at another hotel...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Robert Z,

I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel and for sharing your experience with us. Your honest feedback is very much appreciated as we are always trying to improve the products and services we provide.
I am very sorry to learn that we could not meet your expectations, especially as you are one of our highly valued SPG Platinum members and I truly hope that you are willing to accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Once again, I would like to thank you for sharing your thought and I truly hope that you will allow us the chance to welcoming you back in the future.

Soddy Daisy, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

This hotel treated myself and hubby as royalty celebrating our 25th anniversary with champagne and strawberries along with upgraded room. They always went above and beyond any request and were always professional and helpful i every way. LOVED IT!!!!

Room Tip: our room was beautiful and quiet and so comforatable.....would love to visit again.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear pollywally1,

I would like to thank you very much for your stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. We are very honored that you have chosed our unique hotel as a home away from home to celebrate your 25th anniversary and once again, we would like to congratulate you on reaching this milestone!

I am very pleased to read that you had a memorable stay, especially since it was such a special occasion. I have shared your compliments with the entire team and we all hope that we may welcome you back in the near future. Perhaps for another celebration?

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

Two adults two children (9 + 12), we chose the Pulitzer on the availability of a family room (ie separate sleeping area for the children), which seem rare in cities (please contact us if you can recommend any, anywhere in the world), and the other good reviews on tripadvisor / the hotel’s website.
The staff were all friendly and helpful. The Location is excellent – you can walk to all the major tourist sights. Room comfort was very good; the children liked their separate beds on the separate level in our room in the attic. Room size was fine with a desk and chairs so plenty of room to also do a bit of work when required. Breakfast – better during the week than the weekend; the staff were more attentive and the food refreshed more frequently – but perhaps that’s just the weekend – overall it was fine.
The view over the Canals’, one on each side of the buildings from our room and from the from restaurant were lovely.
The Gym is not the most well equipped but to be fair it rarely gets used, so again it was fine.
The hotel is a charming historical set of buildings with plenty of interesting twists and turns and a few steep staircases so if you prefer your hotels to be the same box in every city of the world along identical corridors then you won’t like this hotel. We came across a couple struggling with their cases on one set of steep stairs, so we lent a hand. Personally for a 5 star hotel in my opinion all guests luggage should be delivered and collected to / from rooms without the need to be asked. The Art Gallery corridor was a great touch.
Concierge were very good and took care of all our requests.
We are not known for being fashion victims so we did get a few up and down looks from other quests but they were in the minority. The Dutch guests were by far the friendliest, then the Americans.
We booked direct through the hotel website. Payment was deducted on the day of arrival with a €50 per person per night payment on account added. Our final bill was less than the original amount charged, the refund was credited back two days after returning.
There is a church clock locally that chimes all through the night, so if you are a very light sleeper - mention this when booking.
Overall would we come back again? –Yes without hesitation.
Other
we booked a taxi from the airport to the Hotel with Suntransfers – very efficient €74.26 return.
Schiphol Airport very efficient – for the first time at a major international airport our luggage arrived on the carousel before we got there.
All the main tourist sites / trips are worth a visit – do book online in advance though if at all possible as it will save you queuing. The Anne Frank House was well done – take time to absorb what is around you – don’t rush through as the impact will be lost – all current world leaders would do well to visit before making certain decisions! Many Canal boats to choose from, the all seemed much of a muchness.
Beware of bicycles; around the heart of the city along with trams they have the priority – look in all directors before crossing a path – we saw a few crashes and we were only there a few days. The locals must find us tourists rather annoying.
I think I have finally come under the bracket as being prudish – an adult shop, with many of its products in the windows, situated next to a McDonalds! (Nowhere near the Red Light District I might add) The Dutch are well known for being liberal and commendable for it – but this seems a step too far for me. I am not a fan of smoking in public places either so choosing a café was easier said than done.
Amsterdam is a great place and well worth a visit, the Hotel Pulitzer was a good choice for us – both highly recommended destinations.

Room Tip: Chose a Canal view room if you can
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear familyof4since2004,

On behalf of the entire Hotel Pulitzer team, I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay and for taking some of your valuable time to write such a detailed review on Tripadvisor.
It is great to learn that you have enjoyed your stay in both our historical hotel and the unique city of Amsterdam. I am very happy to read that our concierge team was helpful providing recommendations and assisting with requests. Please accept our sincere apologies for the breakfast experience during the weekend. I have shared your feedback with our Food & Beverage Manager in order for us to improve the level of service we provide in our restaurant on the weekends.

We are all very much looking forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Pulitzer whenever your travels bring you to Amsterdam again.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 4 weeks for business, and it was totally amazing! Situated in the heart of Amsterdam, it is a comfortable walking distance to the Dam Square, Centraal Station, Anne Frank House and other tourist attractions, and we were totally spoilt with the vast array of food and shopping options in the area.

The hotel is made up of 25 connected canal houses. While it can be quite a maze finding your way to your room or breakfast restaurant or gym, it is extremely quaint and charming. The rooms are clean and comfortable, and I especially love the canal-facing rooms on the higher floors.

What really stands out from this hotel is that the staff are truly amazingly warm, friendly and helpful. Because of them, my stay at the Hotel Pulitzer felt like home even though I'm away from home.

Room Tip: Request for canal-facing rooms on the higher floors.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear nemrac_coco,

I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. I am very pleased to learn that you have had an enjoyable stay in our unique hotel, especially since you have stayed with us for such an extended period of time.
Also, I would like to thank you for your compliments about our staff; I have shared your review with the entire team.

I truly hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hotel Pulitzer whenever your travels bring you to Amsterdam again.

Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

The hotel was nice, the staff were lovely and the view over the river was gorgeous! The hotel is near attractions such as the infamous "Anne Frank House Museum" which is extraordinary to have a look at. The only "problem" with the hotel is that if you have more than 2 people staying, you are all in the same room which are very small and cramped.

Room Tip: Go as a couple- more room!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sarah J,

I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer and for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. I am very happy to read that you had an enjoyable stay especially with regards to the staff and view over the famous canals of Amsterdam.
Please note that we do have Family Rooms in which we can accommodate a family of up to 4 persons, which have 2 bedroom areas.

On behalf of the entire team, I would like to thank you again for your stay and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

Very much enjoyed a 4 night stay here in March. The staff were very helpful, polite and professional. Our room was large with a very comfortable bed and good bathroom. The hotel generally was clean and smart. We had breakfast in the Expresso bar as it was substantially cheaper than the main restaurant. It was nice to have the option. The position is ideal, central with very pretty streets and good restaurants on the doorstep. Thoroughly recommended.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Clare T,

Thank you very much for your stay with us in March and for writing such a lovely review on Tripadvisor. I am very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable experience in Hotel Pulitzer especially with regards to the helpfulness and professionalism of our staffmembers.
Great to read that you've enjoyed our Espressobar as well, for the upcoming summer season we have extended the opening hours until 8 PM so that you'll also be able to enjoy a pre-dinner drink in the lounge or on the terrace!
I hope that we may welcome you back whenever you'll return to The Netherlands again.

Alex van Gastel

Been to Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam? Share your experiences!