“Great hotel and location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam

You added Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315-331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel)   |
Ranked #51 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
Ireland
“Great hotel and location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

My husband and I stayed in room 385 for 3 nights.

Pros:
- big room
- comfortable king sized bed
- hotel slippers! love it when hotels provide slippers
- great bathroom
- quiet room
- hospitality throughout - we were treated very well throughout our stay

Cons:
- no view, but it's the price you pay for (we got a GREAT deal on expedia)
- breakfast per person was priced at €32 per person. Outrageous price, but I guess it's the price you pay to stay at an upscale hotel. We were thrilled to have found a cafe near the hotel that served great eggs and traditional dutch pancakes.

Overall:
- We would absolutely stay here again! It's located in a beautiful neighborhood with great restaurants such as Van Puffelen and Envy. And it's away from the red light district and the cannabis crowd.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
Dear NesserA,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer and for sharing your experience with the world on Tripadvisor. As we are always striving to improve our services, your comments are highly appreciated.

I am very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable time in Amsterdam and our historical hotel! Did you know that the 25 canal houses, in which the hotel is built, all date from the 17th and 18th century?

We are all very much looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Alex van Gastel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Rome
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

Excellent 3 night stay in January 2014 for my birthday treat. One of security staff found out it was my birthday and we returned to find a delicious hand finished, presentation chocolate cake and bottle of wine with handwritten birthday wishes from the Duty Manager! Delicious too!

Stayed January 2014
Dear heather45,

Thank you very much for your stay at Hotel Pulitzer in January and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor! Great to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us, especially since you were celebrating your birthday with us!

I have shared your compliments with the team and truly hope that we may welcome you back to Hotel Pulitzer whenever you are travelling back to Amsterdam.

Villa Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

I cannot say enough about this Hotel! First, it is located on the best canal in Amsterdam. The history is very interesting and the location is wonderful. We used the Fitness Center, which was included in the price. It was very nice. We shared a two single bed room which was adequate in size for us. The linens, bedding, amenities were all 100%. The staff recommended wonderful restaurants nearby. I will definitely look for their hotels in other cities to stay in when traveling.

Room Tip: We were on the inside, viewing a church, not the street and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Christie V,

Wow, thank you very much for sharing such a lovely review about your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. We are all very honored and pleased to learn that you had a fabulous stay in our historical hotel and Amsterdam!

Great to read that our staff provided you with good recommendations on restaurants in the neighbourhood of the hotel. Our Concierge Team is always more than willing to assist with this kind of requests and they know all the hidden gems of Amsterdam!

On behalf of the entire team, I would like to say that we are looking forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Amsterdam.

Oxted, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

We have stopped here on a few occasions...
This time we found the hotel had really had a great elegant, stylish update - WITHOUT losing it's charm and understated style..

A great location for more individual stores...
Great local restaurants and museums..all close..

The only slight down side was the size of the rooms.. we had a deluxe canal view room; but the bathroom was "compact".. and the room was cosy! however it was lovely; the view limited..
having said this; a lovely hotel; with REAL CLASS!!!!!! fab breakfast! through to great bar at night.. a great hotel for a romantic break...

Room Tip: Rooms are lovely; but ours had a very compact bathroom; no separate shower.. so if you like a shower...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear marnie t,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. It makes me very happy to read that you had an enjoyable time in our historical hotel and the city of Amsterdam. Great to read that you have enjoyed our breakfast buffet and Pulitzers Bar! Did you get the chance to taste one of our Luxury Collection Signature Cocktails?

Once again, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments on Tripadvisor and I hope that we may welcome you back in the near future.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Highly recommend. Amazing property created from 25 canal homes in a prime location.

Service was top notch. Rooms are clean and quirky / fun.

Highly recommend. Hard to beat the location, service, and outdoor spaces.

From greeting to concierge to cleaning team - everyone was really welcoming. Loved the stay.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Steven_Orland,

I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. I am very pleased to read that you had a comfortable stay in one of our 25 historical canal houses and that you enjoyed the location, service and our inner gardens.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back in the near future!

Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Quick review (on second night of a three night stay):

Service: great, especially compared to other recent European stays at hotels of similar quality. Service is brisk and done with a smile. All staff, from cleaning to check-in, says hello and how are you (and they say it in a way that doesn't sound empty).

Check-in: arrived in AMS at 6 a.m...quite obviously: no room available. They did provide us with free coffee, directions to the breakfast area, and cursory information regarding when the room would be ready, which breakfast places would be open (almost none), etc. Ended up getting us a room around 10:45 a.m.

Room: paid 50 euro for an upgraded room. Considering the hotel was almost completely full (if not entirely full--there was a huge convention going on), I'm surprised how nice the room was. Canal view, second floor up. Almost no noise (this is complained of a lot on this forum...maybe I don't have noise because my room is on the back-side of the hotel??).

Bathroom: Smaller, but gets the trick done. My wife raves about the blow dyer ("salon quality").

Hotel in general/location: location is pretty good. 3 blocks from Leidsplein, 4 long blocks from Dam Square, in the heart of the Western Canal Ring. As far as the hotel, beautifully renovated/decorated. Yes it's a maze, but I hardly fault the hotel's construction/layout for that. They did what they could with the place, and even provide maps to your room on day 1.

My 2 cents. I'd stay here again...although I'd love to see how the Hyatt Andaz is. Basically: this hotel doesn't give me a reason to "look around" for another option. It just works, and I'd gladly come back!

Room Tip: Try to get a Canal View.
Dear Ben P,

Wow, thank you very much for sharing such a lovely review about your stay on Tripadvisor. I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay at Hotel Pulitzer and I hope that the third day was just as enjoyable as the first two. Please note that I have shared your compliments with the entire team.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back to Hotel Pulitzer in the near future.

Kind regards,

San Francisco, California, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

I like this hotel because of the way it puts together a string of canal houses, keeps the unique charm of each and yet makes a standardized hotel. The Hotel Pulitzer is both what you'd expect from a Sheraton Luxury Collection hotel, but fully unique to the city of Amsterdam.

The bathrooms at this hotel tend to be small and the rooms are small, but that's typical of Amsterdam and much of Europe. But it's a very good place for business travel and centrally located for touring the city on foot, boat or bike.

The breakfast buffet is enormous and very delicious. You can also order special requests from the chef, who is usually happy to accommodate you. Also, the bar is a great way to people watch over the Keizergracht canal.

The staff is generally helpful, but it's a big, busy hotel, so the service is usually not very personal. However, the last time I was there, I got the flu and was very ill. The man who brought me room service alerted the hotel manager about my being ill, and they were kind and checked in with me to make sure I was ok and see if I needed anything.

If you can, take a canal ride with their private boat. It's a more personal tour of the city and the boat is a classic, unlike anything else on the canals.

Room Tip: Ask for a canal room if the noise doesn't bother you and you want to have a view of the people a...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Jmgsf,

On behalf of the entire Hotel Pulitzer Team, I would like to thank you very much for your stay with us last February and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.
I am very pleased to read that you had a comfortable stay and enjoyed the location, breakfast buffet and our staff.
Great to read that you took a tour on our canal boat "The Tourist"! After all, it is the best way to explore Amsterdam! Did you know that The Tourist dates from 1909 and that even Winston Churchill took a tour on it?
I truly hope that we may welcome you back to Hotel Pulitzer during you next visit to Amsterdam.

Alex van Gastel

Been to Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam? Share your experiences!