“Unique Classic Five Star Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315-331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Deal
Save €75 on select meals
Ranked #44 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Beverly Hills, CA
“Unique Classic Five Star Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

This is the second time I have stayed here, and it was just as good as the first time. The first time we had a really cool A-Frame room, and this time, I was in a larger Canal View Room, which was great.

This is an old world Five-Star hotel, but not overly formal. The overall service is excellent, but the concierge service in particular is extraordinary. In a great location, a little removed from some of the more overcrowded and touristy areas, but very central to many attractions and great streets, you cannot wrong choosing The Pultizer.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear fishskis,

On behalf of the entire Hotel Pulitzer Team, I would like to thank you very much for your stay at our historical hotel. I am very pleased to learn that your second stay with us was just as enjoyable as the first one and I have shared your compliments with the entire team, especially our Concierge Ambassadors.

I hope that we may welcome you back for a third stay at Hotel Pulitzer whenever you are traveling back to Amsterdam again.

Alex van Gastel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

The hotel is in an excellent location, down the block from Anne Frank's exhibit. The hotel is unique, my had hardwood floors and a beautiful bathroom. I had a couple days break in a two week European business trip. The service was excellent, a great coffee bar in the lobby and an excellent restaurant attached. I actually went back to the restaurant when I visited the city a few months later. the hallways are unique and they twist and turn similar to walking through the lobby to the restaurant. I also used their gym while I was there and it had everything. I would strongly recommend this hotel for a business break. The location was blocks away from great shopping!

Room Tip: Don't rent a car while you are in Amsterdam.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Dagney T,

Wow, thank you very much for sharing such a lovely review about your stay on Tripadvisor. At Hotel Pulitzer, we do our best to make you, as a valued guest, feel at home and I am very pleased to read thet you had an enjoyable time in our unique hotel.
I have shared your compliments with the entire team and I hope that we may welcome you back whenever your travels bring you to The Netherlands again.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

Our family recently stayed for three nights at the Hotel Pulitzer, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The hotel is certainly different, with its architecture creating a unique layout. We had a family room with an excellent view over Prinsengracht. The kids beds were up in a loft - which was nice for creating that little bit of separation, given the room itself was not overly large. The hotel staff were invariably helpful and welcoming (including small gifts for the children on arrival), and the breakfast buffet was excellent. Free Wifi was also available, and adequate for email and web surfing. The hotel itself is nicely located - close enough to walk everywhere, but relatively quiet nonetheless. All in all, it was a great place to stay for a short trip to Amsterdam.

Stayed March 2014
Dear 007Sydney,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel and for taking some of your valuable time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and I am pleased to read that you and your family had a memorable time in Amsterdam.
I hope that you have gotten the chance to explore the unique city centre of Amsterdam while you were here, as there are a lot of interesting things to discover.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back whenever you decide to return to The Netherlands.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

The Pulitzer played its part in creating a most enjoyable short break in Amsterdam. It is well-located, comfortable, and provides good dining in the grill restaurant, all enhanced by friendly and helpful staff. The standard room was compact, but well equipped, and delightfully quiet.
The location was ideal for a busy city break, and trams are nearby. A good selection of decent restaurants are within walking distance - all in all, we enjoyed our Amsterdam experience.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Jim G,

On behalf of the entire Hotel Pulitzer Team, I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at our historical hotel. We are very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your short break in Amsterdam and our unique hotel. I have shared your compliments with the entire team.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back during your next visit to The Netherlands.

Gurgaon, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

The pulitzer is at a beautiful place and the hotel does have a lot of character. it is modified from an old building and does give a good feel of a historical experience. My challenge with the hotel was 3 folds:
1. Very very small rooms. i actually spoke on checking in and got a bigger room. my other colleagues had very small rooms and they did not request a change
2. the service desk is amongst the worst i have seen in 4/5 star hotels. certainly not in a luxury hotel. out of the 4 times i tried reaching them, twice the call was not answered.
3. when i did get through, the service took 45 mins to deliver

The poor service happened on 2 days hence was not a one off issue. overall one could look at experiencing a different hotel in this league.

Room Tip: Ask for Bigger rooms, the rooms are really small. with 2 pieces of luggage, you wont be able to move...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear Ritwik25,

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed the uniqueness of the 25 canal houses in which our hotel is located.
Furthermore, I would like to offer you our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused regarding room assignment and when reaching out to our Guest Service Center. Your comments have been shared with our Front Office Manager and his team in order for us to improve our level of service in the future.

Once again I would like to thank you for your honest feedback and I truly hope that we may welcome you back whenever your travels bring you to Amsterdam again.

Auckland Central, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We travelled around Europe in December and stayed at quite a few luxury hotels. The Pulitzer wasn't the flashest but it had the most comfortable bed out of all of them!
We had the Deluxe Canal View room which was overlooking the canal, as promised. The bathroom was nice, the room had everything you expect of a hotel room, and the bed was amazing... but the room was musty and old smelling. We had to buy scented incense sticks to try and mask the smell.
The hotel itself is in a great location, very central. Walking distance to all the main hot spots and only a few doors away from the Anne Frank House which is A MUST SEE. Seriously, the most emotional attraction we had seen on our holiday.
We didn't dine in the hotel restaurant but we got coffee from the coffee shop next to the lobby which was really good!
The staff were really friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Get a canal view. There's no point in not having a view!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JJLuvsHotels,

I would like to thank you very much for your stay at Hotel Pulitzer last December and I am very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable time in Amsterdam.
Please accept our sincere apologies for the smell in the room you stayed at, please note that this comment has been shared with our Chief Engineer, in order for us to prevent this from happening again in the future.

Great to read that you have enjoyed exploring Amsterdam, our concierge team are always more than happy to provide you with some good recommendations.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back during your next visit to Amsterdam.

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

We were attacked by Mosquitos in our room while we tried to sleep. We were bitten all over our hands and feet. When we approached management next morning, they could only offer us plug-ins to deter bugs and offered to move us to canal facing room, but warned it would be worse there. Clearly not solutions to a disturbing problem. This is not a luxury hotel! I was pregnant at the time too. What a disappointment.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Jennifer H,

First or all, I would like to thank you very much for your stay at Hotel Pulitzer last year and for sharing your experience which allows us to improve the products and services we provide.
Your detailed comments are truly helpful in understanding how you felt during your experience with us and I would like to offer you our sincere apologies for the inconvenience encountered.

I am very sorry to learn about the mosquitos in your room and I understand that this is definitely not what you would expect from a 5 star hotel. Please be assured that I have shared your experience with our Management Team in order avoid situations like these from happening again in the future.

W e recognize that we cannot turn back the clock to change what transpired however I truly hope that you are willing to accept our apologies and that you will allow us the chance of welcoming you back to Hotel Pulitzer whenever your travels bring you to Amsterdam again.

Alex van Gastel

Been to Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!