“Wish I would have been on a top floor” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315-331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Deal
Save €75 on select meals
Ranked #44 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Los Angeles, California
“Wish I would have been on a top floor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

Don't get me wrong we had a cozy room over looking the garden. The hotel and staff where great. But reading the reviews I wish I would have stayed in a top floor canal view room. We were on the second floor and I think an elephant was in the room above us :(.
Next time

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Dear Candace A,

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for your stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we are happy to read you had an enjoyable stay.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any noise disturbance you experienced from the floor above your room. Due to the old age of our buildings (the canal houses were built in the 17th and 18th century) and restrictions imposed by the Dutch Society for the preservation of Monuments, we are limited to what can be done regarding isolation of the rooms.

I truly hope, however, that we may welcome you back to our historical hotel during your next visit to Amsterdam.

1,769 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Western Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

I recently stayed 5 nights at Hotel Pulitzer with my husband and had a wonderful stay made possible by pleasant, astute and attentive staff who made our stay seamless.
I arrived from Australia around 07:00 the first morning, awaiting my husbands arrival later that day, I was advised that I would be able to use a smaller room until the room in which we had been assigned was ready which was simply a god send following a long haul international flight - it was no trouble at all for the staff and as soon as our allotted room was ready we were phoned and advised that we did not have to rush but could venture to the new room when ready - this gesture really set this hotel apart as a must stay for international travellers! Thank you very much!

Now for the run down of the room - we stayed in the junior suite - we had a gorgeous canal view. It was large and well appointed with a spare fridge other than the "weighted minibar" to place items in should they be required.
The only negative from that point of view was that there was no coffee or tea making facilities - I feel this is a must to be able to get full points from a 5 star hotel.

Bed comfort was amazing - there is a pillow selection you can call to request if you are fussy with your pillows as I am. This was arranged seamlessly from the staff also.
In terms of sleep quality - there was a bit of noise heard from the road which was not as much of an issue as the constant foot stomping heard from the floors above which made sleeping difficult in the middle of the night.

Location wise this hotel is in a great spot - right on one of the main canals and close to many attractions and great places to eat.

Gym was small, however had lots of new cardio equipment and a decent weight selection. There is something special about doing a work out in a room with a chandelier in the middle - I certainly enjoyed it as a point of difference for a gym.

Breakfast was a treat, with many many different selections of freshly made breads and a great hot and cold selection.

All in all - we had a wonderful stay in Amsterdam and would totally recommend this hotel.
The two things that made me deduct a point from the hotel was the lack of tea and coffee making facilities in the room and also the noise heard from the rooms above which interrupted our sleep quality otherwise the hotel itself was faultless. :)

Room Tip: A canal view would be an advantage
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear Giboos,

On behalf of the entire Hotel Pulitzer Team, I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay with us. It brings us great pleasure to learn that you had a lovely time in Amsterdam and our historical canal houses. Your comments regarding the lack of coffee / tea facilities and noise disturbance have been shared with our Management Team in order to improve our products and services in the future. Please note that we do provide coffee / tea facilities in your room upon request.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back during your next visit to Amsterdam.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Whilst travelling with a friend at the end of January we stayed in the Pullitzer for two nights. After looking at other reviews we asked to be upgraded to a room on one of the upper floors looking over the canal. The room was a great size, large radiator which we left on during the day so room was warm at night. (Cold weather) Stunning views and no problem with noise, but it was the end of January and we were up and away exploring early. Top tips: do ask for tea and coffee facilities to be brought to the room. We missed that in the intro when booking in and would have been great. Do try and book a walking tour with the concierge team. These guys are at the top of their game - helpful, friendly, knowledgable and a pleasure to meet. Special thanks to Robert for a really smashing tour around the town -packed with surprises,treats and great facts!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear tourtalk83,

On behalf of the entire Hotel Pulitzer Team, I would very much like to thank you for your recent stay with us. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we are thrilled to learn that you had a memorable experience in Amsterdam.
I have shared your compliments with the entire team, especially with Robert and his Concierge colleagues.

I hope that we may welcome you back to Hotel Pulitzer, whenever your travels bring you to Amsterdam again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

Hotel brochure mentioned a Concierge lead walking tour. In Winter just held on last Saturday of the month. How fortunate we were! Like all the staff we encountered Robert the guide was exceptionally friendly and well informed. With only 4 of us on the tour we were given a great insight into some fascinating facts about Amsterdam. How the canals were created, what 3 crosses on buildings represent, fascinating old building such as a home for widows hidden on a quiet street. Lots more great fun!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Alison S,

Thank you very much for your recent stay and for taking the time to write such a lovely review about our indigenous Concierge Tour. It is a pleasure to read that Robert ensured a memorable experience for you and that your learned a lot about Amsterdam. Naturally, I have shared your compliments with the Concierge Team.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back, whenever your travels bring you to Amsterdam again.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

My wife and I stayed here as part of an anniversary trip we were on. We are SPG Gold members and stayed at this hotel on accumulated points. This is by far the most unique hotel I have ever stayed at, my favorite within the SPG system, and definitely the best place to stay in Amsterdam.

While maintaining the standard you expect from SPG Luxury Collection, the hotel does not look like a hotel from the outside, nor does it feel like one inside. It also does not have the pretentious aura you get from other 4-5 star hotels.It's basically a large block of historical canal-houses that has been combined inside to connect the hotel. No two rooms are alike and they capitalize on the historical feel. This also gives you the experience of staying in a canal-house, and with that come amazing views of the Prinsengracht.

The location is spectacular on the Prinsengracht in the middle of the Centrum, and puts you easily within walking distance of almost all the attractions of Amsterdam.

Amsterdam is our favorite foreign destination and we have both been multiple times. In the future, I will never stay elsewhere when we return.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear dustinthill,

Wow, thank you very much for such a lovely review! I am very pleased to read that you had a memorable experience at our historical hotel. Did you know that the 25 canal houses the hotel consists out of, have been built in the 17th and 18th century? They have a lot of stories to tell!

I once more would like to thank you for your review and I am looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

I have stayed at The Pulitzer on a number of occasions. The hotels consists I believe of twenty five canal houses that have been cleverly converted into a contemporary hotel on the Prinsengracht canal. The hotel is perfectly located in a quiet part of Amsterdam. It's safe, it's pretty and it's only around a fifteen minute walk to the main shopping district. The hotel is surrounded by excellent restaurants and a lovely selection of boutique style shops. The hotel has a good bar with friendly staff, you wouldn't be disappointed if you decided to stay in for dinner and you can enjoy a fantastic buffet breakfast overlooking the canal. The rooms are all individual and a little on the small side. If you stay what ever you do don't take a ground or low level room as there seems to be a never ending stream of passers by well into the night. Some of the rooms whilst not having a canal view face into the hotel courtyard and are much quieter. This is a very nice hotel. Great service and very well located.

Room Tip: No low floors
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear samjames,

Thank you very much for your stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. We are very pleased to read that you had a great time in Amsterdam and our historical hotel.
We truly hope that we may welcome you back whenever you decide to travel to The Netherlands again.

Kuwait
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

This wonderful hotel consists of a long row of historic, beautifully renovated little houses - all about 400 years old - along the Prinsengracht canal.
This hotel is very friendly and well located. The rooms are all different (the hotel is made up of 10+ houses merged together) which adds charm. Top floor rooms have better views and you avoid the noise that always seems to come through from people walking on floors above you.

Room Tip: Any room with good view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Dear walteranand,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer and for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. It is wonderful to read that you had a memorable time in Amsterdam and our historical hotel. I hope you got the chance to explore our unique capital city while you were here. Did you know that we have our own canal boat which is over 100 years old? Definitely a great way to explore the Amsterdam canals.

I hope that we may welcome you back in the near future.

Alex van Gastel

Been to Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!