“hotel pulitzer >> a hotel with panache” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315-331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Deal
Save €75 on select meals
Ranked #47 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Enschede, The Netherlands
“hotel pulitzer >> a hotel with panache”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

hotel pulitzer is a hotel with panache. what makes pulitzer so attractive is its 17th and 18th century historical atmosphere blended with urban mentality of people. located at the heart of amsterdam, hotel pulitzer has everything one needs for a memorable stay – opulent surroundings, knowledgeable staff –doormen, reception people, concierge – ron, maurits, robert, pieter, the espresso bar lady with the perfect haircut, the housekeeping staff – chantal and others— espresso brewed to perfection & excellent view over the pulitzer gardens landscape architecture, chic city setting for a cocktail, fine dining, plus so much more. i keep coming back to this hotel with a constant allure of being a promising stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Dear irena2014,

It is so great to read your review about your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. I am very pleased to read that you always have a memorable time in our historical hotel. I have shared your compliments with the entire team, especially the staffmembers mentioned in your review.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Pulitzer in the near future.

Alex van Gastel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

We were here for our honeymoon at the end of November 2013 and cannot say enough about the staff and the hotel.

The staff made our experience so positive (especially the amazing and awesome woman at the front desk who I am remiss in not getting her name). From the moment we arrived, every person there wanted to make our experience great. We felt very welcome.

Our room overlooked a canal with big windows, so we had a great view. The bed was super comfortable. We loved how the hotel was made up of town houses, which made it very charming.

We had a nice dinner in the restaurant and enjoyed the bar for cocktails.

As we left, our favorite lady at the front desk went out of her way to make sure we had a great stay. She was so kind to give us some small gifts as we left so we would remember our honeymoon. Above and beyond.

We loved Amsterdam so much, in part because of the Hotel Pulitzer. We are making plans to to return this summer!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Meemer_DC,

I would like to thank you very much for your stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. We are very honored that you have chosen our historical hotel as location for your honeymoon and it gives us great pleasure to read that you had a memorable time in Amsterdam.

I have shared your compliments with the entire team, especially with our Front Office Ambassadors and we hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Amsterdam.

Northbrook, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I really wanted to give this hotel 4 stars but I just couldn’t due to the sleep quality and the bathroom.
Here are the positives for this property:
i. Location: this charming property is located right on the canal within walking distance to everything in Amsterdam.
ii. The old canal houses are very charming and eye appealing, fitted with modern amenities such as flat screen tv’s, Bose Wave radios, bathroom faucets, and multiple plugs.
iii. Housekeeping was fantastic. As soon as we left for the day the housekeeper promptly made up our room. We always had fresh towels and toiletries. The highlight was the stroopwafels left with two water bottles on our desk.
iv. There was an assortment of plush bath towels in varying sizes. The robes were thick and the slippers were quite welcome on the wood floors. The beds were very comfortable and the room got very dark.
But we had some major issues:
i. The parking fee was 55 euro for valet parking. There is street parking if it’s available for 36 euros across the canal and 45 euros on the same side of the street as the hotel. You need to feed the meter each day.
ii. Breakfast- it’s 30 euros if you don’t reserve a “discounted” rate in advance. When I asked about a discounted rate (I knew to ask from a previous stay at a different Starwood property), the desk clerk said this rate was sold out but he would make an exception. We would have to commit to all six mornings of our stay and it would be 22 euros each.
iii. The room had some major issues. The property apparently has two wings, one carpeted, the other with hardwood floors. The hardwood floors made it so noisy from the footsteps, moving of furniture, rolling of suitcases, etc., that we could feel the sound vibrations in our own bed. If anything was dropped from the room above, it sounded and felt like a bomb went off.
iv. The bathroom got to be intolerable after a few days. There is very little counter space so I had to keep my personal toiletries on the dresser. The makeup mirror has no light and the lighting in the bathroom was very poor. The bathtub/shower combination was very narrow. I’m petite yet I didn’t have enough space to take a shower without knocking into the handheld shower handle or stepping on the drain. The water temperature fluctuated while I took a shower so that at different points in time the water would come out scalding.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Shampeu,

I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel and for sharing your experience with us. Your detailed comments are truly helpful in understanding how you felt about your stay.
Please be assured that I have shared your feedback with the Management Team, in order for us to improve our products and services in the future.

I truly hope that you are willing to accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused, as it was never our intention to give you a dissatisfied feeling. We hope to welcome you back to Hotel Pulitzer, whenever your travels bring you to Amsterdam again.

Tallinn, Estonia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Spent three nights in Pulitzer.
Good points: location, comfortable bed, design and general history.
Bad points: unpolite cleaning service, bathroom looked not so new, cold rooms, cold (too much!) floor in the bathroom, wifi available only for payment (in such a hotel? WOW!). In general hotel looked cold, no-soul and not too much friendly (i am not speaking about the staff, they were ok).

For other people it`s for sure a good hotel, but personally for me I prefer other places - more cosy and more atmospheric.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valeria V,

I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel and for sharing your experience. Your feedback is highly appreciated as we always strive to improve our products and services and will definitely be taken into consideration during future refurbishments of our hotel.
Furthermore, I am happy to inform you that from now on we will offer complimentary WIFI access to all our guests, in both rooms and public areas.

Once again, I thank you for your comments. I truly hope that you will allow us the chance to welcoming you back to Hotel Pulitzer in the future.

NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

This beautiful property has slid from excellence to mediocrity. The staff seems overwhelmed and disorganized.
Pro: The location of this hotel, in the Jordaan, gives immediate access to the lovely small boutiques and restaurants scattered throughout this old neighborhood. It is within easy walking distance of all of the major attractions. There is also a tram stop at the end of the block. Tram passes may be purchased on board the trams for around 7 euros/day or 12 for two days. The rooms of the 17th and 18th century converted town houses can be very charming and the views which some rooms give onto the canals are beautiful. (Some of the rooms have beams which barely give a 6 ft clearance and others have windows which do not open, though.)
Con: While the property is lovely, the service is very inconsistent. Check-in is poorly organized. Even when checking-in at the appointed time there may be an hour wait for a room. I stayed in a room with a balcony on which a dozen cigarette butts were littered from my check-in until my check-out (four days) without being removed by housekeeping.

Room Tip: If you are over 6 ft tall, ask to see the room first. Many rooms have very low beams.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear newyorkbo,

I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel and for sharing your feedback. Your detailed comments are highly appreciated as we always strive to improve our service.
I have shared your comments regarding the check-in experience with our Front Office Manager in order to streamline the check-in process and services provided at the Front Desk.

I truly hope that you may give us the chance to welcome you back to Hotel Pulitzer in the future.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Concierge service was second to none - got me last minute NYE reservations and a cute little Japanese restaurant. The beds were like sleeping on clouds and the hotel itself is just gorgeous and authentic. This is a must stay while in Amsterdam!

Room Tip: If you have SPG status, try to get a Deluxe or Executive room
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear bns0722,

Wow, thank you so much for such lovely words! I am happy to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us over the festive holiday period! I hope you had a wonderful time celebrating New Year's Eve and you took the time to explore the hidden gems of Amsterdam.

I hope that we may welcome you back to our historical hotel during your next visit to Amsterdam.

Atlanta Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I loved this hotel. Our room was small but nice, with an incredible view of the canal. The location is ideal, with shopping and restaurants just outside the door. Our room was just a few steps from the elevator and did not have any problems with noise. The were no problems with the room. The service was just perfect, from the doorman, front desk, concierge and the restaurant, everyone was great. There is a nice little lobby with a coffee bar and Pulitzer's bar and the restaurant are in the back, opening out to another street. I've stayed in other hotels in Amsterdam, including the Sofitel, but this is the one I'll be returning to.

Room Tip: Get the canal view, it is worth the extra money.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear atlantahost,

Wow, thank you very much for your stay and for sharing such a lovely review on Tripadvisor. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we are happy that you had a memorable time in our historical hotel.
I have shared your compliments with the entire team and we are looking forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Amsterdam.

Alex van Gastel

Been to Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!