“Nice hotel in a quiet, but vibrant neighborhood” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315-331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Deal
Save €75 on select meals
Ranked #41 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Tampa, Florida
“Nice hotel in a quiet, but vibrant neighborhood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel by using Starwoods points. Using my points for a free room didn't get me the biggest room with a view, but the room was very clean and was appointed nicely. The hotel is very large and has all the amenities a traveler would need. It's located near great shopping, like Nine Streets, and near numerous good restaurants, churches, and of course Ann Franks house and museum.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Dear jpmthumb42,

I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay and for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. It is a pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your stay in Amsterdam and got to explore our beautiful city.

I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Alex van Gastel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I have always found that staying at the Pulitzer was a great experience and a short break last weekend confirmed once again what a wonderful hotel the Pulitzer is.
Whether you are a regular visitor like myself or going for the first time you will not be disappointed with the welcome you receive.
As always the staff are very attentive but I would especially like to mention Caroline, the duty manager. My family and I were made to feel extra special by her from the moment we arrived to the moment we left.
Our family room with views over the Prinsengraacht was lovely and we really enjoyed the breakfast on offer.
I love coming to Amsterdam and staying at the Pulitzer.I couldn’t think of anywhere better to celebrate my 60th.

Room Tip: If you have any special requirements always contact the Pulitzer in advance as the staff do go out o...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear spikeynorman,

On behalf of the entire Hotel Pulitzer Team, I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay with us and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. It is a pleasure to read your review and your compliments have been shared with the entire team. I am very happy that we could make you 60th birthday a memorable one!

I am looking forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Pulitzer whenever your travels bring you to Amsterdam again.

Nyack, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

Booked this hotel to use Starwood points in Amsterdam, and very happy with location, cleanliness, concierge and services.

Concierge is efficient - got us dinner reservations on Christmas Day at Mazzo, along with other requests for train tickets, etc..

Rooms are clean. Period. Beds are AMAZINGLY comfy. Plush towels, marble bath.

Room type is tricky- I booked deluxe and am Starwood Gold. Upgrade to "canal room" was 50 Euros /night. Room 445 overlooks the canal, loft style and quaint. Could have upgraded to another room type w/ breakfast included for Euro 70- but really there are way too many delicious cafés and pancake houses to try than commit to buffet breakfast every day.

Yes, hotel is definitely is a maze- so much charm- feel like you are a local resident in a gorgeous row house walking to shops, museums, flower market, flea market, and grocers ( where you can buy extra mineral water).

There are many areas of Amsterdam to explore, walked everywhere- no problem.

The main restaurant for dinner was superb, service attentive - dry aged steak, salmon, cod, vegetarian choices, even a burger if you prefer.

I would definitely stay at The Pulitzer again!
P.S. Gold Starwood receives optional "check in gift" for free wifi in room .
There is no sauna or spa at this hotel.

Room Tip: Canal view!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear lori749,

On behalf of the entire Hotel Pulitzer Team, I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at our historical hotel. It is a pleasure to read that you had a memorable time in Amsterdam over the festive Christmas period and that you got the chance to explore the city as well.

I hope that we may welcome you back to Hotel Pulitzer during your next trip to The Netherlands.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights, and we loved how close hotel was to all of the tourist attractions in Amsterdam. We were able to walk to all spots very easily! Every morning we got a quick pastry at the cafe in the lobby. If you decide to dine on authentic Holland cuisine, there is a little bar/restaurant down the block that the Concierge recommended that was phenomenal! We ate there every night of our stay. If you have some time, definitely talk with the Concierge and Bellmen and they can give you a rich history of Amsterdam. Would definitely stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: If you note only 1 adult on the reservation, and there are really 2- you will be given a room for on...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Courtney P,

I would like to thank you very much for your wonderful review and for your stay at Hotel Pulitzer. I am very pleased to read that you had a lovely stay in Amsterdam and that you have enjoyed the recommendations of our Concierge Team. As you said; they know a lot about the history of Amsterdam and are always more than happy to share their stories.

I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Novi, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

To start, the architecture of this hotel is very unique. The hotel is a collection of canal houses that have been converted into a hotel. Some people have criticized the maze of hallways and stairs that is the result. Yes it is a bit challenging but that is what makes it charming. The hotel has a great location, great staff, nice and comfortable rooms, and an amazing breakfast buffet (which was free with our room). I recommend taking a canal tour in their salon boat called "The Tourist." Friends told us that this is the best canal tour offered, even before they knew we were staying at the Pulitzer. After experiencing the tour and seeing other boats in the canal, I'm pretty sure they were correct. It is the best way to see the city. I was sad we could only spend one night here as we connected through Amsterdam. I will definitely stay here again on my next visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the canal.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear mobile_Vito,

Wow, thank you very much for such a lovely review and for your stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. It gives me great pleasure to read that you had an enjoyable time in Amsterdam and even got the time to take a tour on our historical canal boat. After all, Amsterdam is best seen from the water!

I am looking forward to welcoming you back whenever you travels bring you to Amsterdam again.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I recently spent two nights at the Hotel Pulitzer during two lay-overs while traveling between the US and Africa. The hotel is in a great location, very convenient to tourist attractions and in a charming area with lots of shopping, bars, and restaurants. The hotel is unique in that it is in renovated row-houses along the canals - no two rooms are alike. It makes a big difference which room you get - during my first stay, my room was on the ground floor, near reception. It was a very small room with low ceilings and a very uninspired view of an internal courtyard. Although the room was clean and comfortable, it felt like a former maid's chambers and felt somewhat cramped. However, on my second stay, I was put in a very large spacious room on the third floor with high ceilings, exposed brick, a separate seating area, and a large window. (The room rate was the same for both rooms.)

Service was excellent - everyone I encountered was very friendly and eager to help. My few (minor) complaints are: (1) no free WiFi in the rooms (it's free the in lobby only, otherwise you have to pay 10 euros for one hour); (2) breakfast buffet was very expensive (30 euros) and not particularly impressive.

All in all, it's a charming hotel with excellent service in a great location. My only advice is try to get a larger room and go outside the hotel for breakfast!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear CEB247,

I would like to thank you very much for your recent stays at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel and I am pleased to read that you had an enjoyable time, while staying with us.
I hope you have gotten the chance to explore the historical city of Amsterdam, while you were here as there is lots to see!

On behalf of the entire team, I would like to thank you again and we hope that we may welcome you back during your next visit to Amsterdam.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

We decided to stay at the Hotel Pulitzer after looking at dozens of hotels on the recommendation of family who had been in Amsterdam only a year prior. It was a terrific way to begin a couple of weeks in Europe. We took two rooms as we were traveling with our adult children. Both rooms were very clean and appointed with everything we needed. Although the rooms were smaller than I expected we found plenty of space to put away our things and settle in. Everyone in our party commented on the wonderfully comfortable beds and nice quiet rooms which made for a great sleeping, which was especially nice because the location of the hotel allowed us to make the most of each day. Everything we wanted to do (lots of museums, and great restaurants and bars) was within walking distance yet we were out of the hectic downtown scene. Almost every day we used the outstanding concierge service and they made flawless recommendations for dining and getting around town. Every member of the hotel staff was so polite and helpful without being unctuous. We had a fantastic three night stay at the Pulitzer, I'd recommend it to anyone visiting Amsterdam.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear JMSTRINGER,

On behalf of the staff of Hotel Pulitzer, I would very much like to thank you for your recent stay with us and for sharing your experience with the world on Tripadvisor. We are very happy to read that you had a memorable time in Amsterdam.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back to our historical hotel whenever your travels bring you to Amsterdam again.

Alex van Gastel

Been to Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!