“Small Room but Great Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam

You added Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315 - 331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel)   |
Ranked #50 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Small Room but Great Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights, and we loved how close hotel was to all of the tourist attractions in Amsterdam. We were able to walk to all spots very easily! Every morning we got a quick pastry at the cafe in the lobby. If you decide to dine on authentic Holland cuisine, there is a little bar/restaurant down the block that the Concierge recommended that was phenomenal! We ate there every night of our stay. If you have some time, definitely talk with the Concierge and Bellmen and they can give you a rich history of Amsterdam. Would definitely stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: If you note only 1 adult on the reservation, and there are really 2- you will be given a room for on...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Dear Courtney P,

I would like to thank you very much for your wonderful review and for your stay at Hotel Pulitzer. I am very pleased to read that you had a lovely stay in Amsterdam and that you have enjoyed the recommendations of our Concierge Team. As you said; they know a lot about the history of Amsterdam and are always more than happy to share their stories.

I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Alex van Gastel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Novi, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

To start, the architecture of this hotel is very unique. The hotel is a collection of canal houses that have been converted into a hotel. Some people have criticized the maze of hallways and stairs that is the result. Yes it is a bit challenging but that is what makes it charming. The hotel has a great location, great staff, nice and comfortable rooms, and an amazing breakfast buffet (which was free with our room). I recommend taking a canal tour in their salon boat called "The Tourist." Friends told us that this is the best canal tour offered, even before they knew we were staying at the Pulitzer. After experiencing the tour and seeing other boats in the canal, I'm pretty sure they were correct. It is the best way to see the city. I was sad we could only spend one night here as we connected through Amsterdam. I will definitely stay here again on my next visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the canal.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear mobile_Vito,

Wow, thank you very much for such a lovely review and for your stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. It gives me great pleasure to read that you had an enjoyable time in Amsterdam and even got the time to take a tour on our historical canal boat. After all, Amsterdam is best seen from the water!

I am looking forward to welcoming you back whenever you travels bring you to Amsterdam again.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I recently spent two nights at the Hotel Pulitzer during two lay-overs while traveling between the US and Africa. The hotel is in a great location, very convenient to tourist attractions and in a charming area with lots of shopping, bars, and restaurants. The hotel is unique in that it is in renovated row-houses along the canals - no two rooms are alike. It makes a big difference which room you get - during my first stay, my room was on the ground floor, near reception. It was a very small room with low ceilings and a very uninspired view of an internal courtyard. Although the room was clean and comfortable, it felt like a former maid's chambers and felt somewhat cramped. However, on my second stay, I was put in a very large spacious room on the third floor with high ceilings, exposed brick, a separate seating area, and a large window. (The room rate was the same for both rooms.)

Service was excellent - everyone I encountered was very friendly and eager to help. My few (minor) complaints are: (1) no free WiFi in the rooms (it's free the in lobby only, otherwise you have to pay 10 euros for one hour); (2) breakfast buffet was very expensive (30 euros) and not particularly impressive.

All in all, it's a charming hotel with excellent service in a great location. My only advice is try to get a larger room and go outside the hotel for breakfast!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear CEB247,

I would like to thank you very much for your recent stays at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel and I am pleased to read that you had an enjoyable time, while staying with us.
I hope you have gotten the chance to explore the historical city of Amsterdam, while you were here as there is lots to see!

On behalf of the entire team, I would like to thank you again and we hope that we may welcome you back during your next visit to Amsterdam.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

We decided to stay at the Hotel Pulitzer after looking at dozens of hotels on the recommendation of family who had been in Amsterdam only a year prior. It was a terrific way to begin a couple of weeks in Europe. We took two rooms as we were traveling with our adult children. Both rooms were very clean and appointed with everything we needed. Although the rooms were smaller than I expected we found plenty of space to put away our things and settle in. Everyone in our party commented on the wonderfully comfortable beds and nice quiet rooms which made for a great sleeping, which was especially nice because the location of the hotel allowed us to make the most of each day. Everything we wanted to do (lots of museums, and great restaurants and bars) was within walking distance yet we were out of the hectic downtown scene. Almost every day we used the outstanding concierge service and they made flawless recommendations for dining and getting around town. Every member of the hotel staff was so polite and helpful without being unctuous. We had a fantastic three night stay at the Pulitzer, I'd recommend it to anyone visiting Amsterdam.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear JMSTRINGER,

On behalf of the staff of Hotel Pulitzer, I would very much like to thank you for your recent stay with us and for sharing your experience with the world on Tripadvisor. We are very happy to read that you had a memorable time in Amsterdam.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back to our historical hotel whenever your travels bring you to Amsterdam again.

Parkland, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I have state dat the Pulitzer multiple times and have never been let down. The hotel is great and service is world class. The dutch take hospitality to a whole new level. Great city, great hotel and great staff. You won't be disappointed at all.

Room Tip: no rooms are the same and some are small. Canal view rooms never disappoint
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Dzool,

One behalf of the entire Hotel Pulitzer Team, I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer and for returning to our historical hotel over the years.
I am very pleased to read that you always have a memorable experience while staying with us and I have shared your compliments with the team.

I am very much looking forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Pulitzer during your next trip to Amsterdam.

tyneside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Excellent holiday stay at the Pulitzer, Amsterdam. Hotel staff very friendly and more than helpful. Breakfast expensive but use the al a cart menu. Everyone speaks English very well. The hotel seemed to have lots of American tourists and business men when we were there. We stayed in room 309 which was overlooking the Canal. It has a king size bed and plenty of room. Bathroom more than adequate and towels and toiletries were replenished every day. On the whole, very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: 309, nice sized room and king size bed.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear grantyne,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. I am very pleased to read that you had a comfortable stay in our historical property. Did you know that the hotel consists out of 25 17th and 18th century canal houses?

I hope we may welcome you back in the near future!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Stayed here for about a week and enjoyed it a lot! It is centrally located, there are shops around, plenty of restaurants and the Dam Square is a mere 5 min walk away! The rooms are in a traditional Dutch style and very comfortable. The service is quite professional. They do allow dogs with an extra charge, we travel with a mini chihuahua, and even provided a dog bowl, bed and chew toys for us! Would definitely recommend

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Vonkhan,

Wow, thank you very much for such lovely words! I am very pleased to read that you and your dog have enjoyed your stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel.

I hope to welcome you back during your next visit to Amsterdam!

Alex van Gastel

Been to Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam? Share your experiences!