“Lots of Character in a Great Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315-331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Deal
Save €75 on select meals
Ranked #43 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
New York City, New York
“Lots of Character in a Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I recently spent two nights at the Hotel Pulitzer during two lay-overs while traveling between the US and Africa. The hotel is in a great location, very convenient to tourist attractions and in a charming area with lots of shopping, bars, and restaurants. The hotel is unique in that it is in renovated row-houses along the canals - no two rooms are alike. It makes a big difference which room you get - during my first stay, my room was on the ground floor, near reception. It was a very small room with low ceilings and a very uninspired view of an internal courtyard. Although the room was clean and comfortable, it felt like a former maid's chambers and felt somewhat cramped. However, on my second stay, I was put in a very large spacious room on the third floor with high ceilings, exposed brick, a separate seating area, and a large window. (The room rate was the same for both rooms.)

Service was excellent - everyone I encountered was very friendly and eager to help. My few (minor) complaints are: (1) no free WiFi in the rooms (it's free the in lobby only, otherwise you have to pay 10 euros for one hour); (2) breakfast buffet was very expensive (30 euros) and not particularly impressive.

All in all, it's a charming hotel with excellent service in a great location. My only advice is try to get a larger room and go outside the hotel for breakfast!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear CEB247,

I would like to thank you very much for your recent stays at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel and I am pleased to read that you had an enjoyable time, while staying with us.
I hope you have gotten the chance to explore the historical city of Amsterdam, while you were here as there is lots to see!

On behalf of the entire team, I would like to thank you again and we hope that we may welcome you back during your next visit to Amsterdam.

1,774 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

We decided to stay at the Hotel Pulitzer after looking at dozens of hotels on the recommendation of family who had been in Amsterdam only a year prior. It was a terrific way to begin a couple of weeks in Europe. We took two rooms as we were traveling with our adult children. Both rooms were very clean and appointed with everything we needed. Although the rooms were smaller than I expected we found plenty of space to put away our things and settle in. Everyone in our party commented on the wonderfully comfortable beds and nice quiet rooms which made for a great sleeping, which was especially nice because the location of the hotel allowed us to make the most of each day. Everything we wanted to do (lots of museums, and great restaurants and bars) was within walking distance yet we were out of the hectic downtown scene. Almost every day we used the outstanding concierge service and they made flawless recommendations for dining and getting around town. Every member of the hotel staff was so polite and helpful without being unctuous. We had a fantastic three night stay at the Pulitzer, I'd recommend it to anyone visiting Amsterdam.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear JMSTRINGER,

On behalf of the staff of Hotel Pulitzer, I would very much like to thank you for your recent stay with us and for sharing your experience with the world on Tripadvisor. We are very happy to read that you had a memorable time in Amsterdam.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back to our historical hotel whenever your travels bring you to Amsterdam again.

Parkland, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I have state dat the Pulitzer multiple times and have never been let down. The hotel is great and service is world class. The dutch take hospitality to a whole new level. Great city, great hotel and great staff. You won't be disappointed at all.

Room Tip: no rooms are the same and some are small. Canal view rooms never disappoint
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Dzool,

One behalf of the entire Hotel Pulitzer Team, I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer and for returning to our historical hotel over the years.
I am very pleased to read that you always have a memorable experience while staying with us and I have shared your compliments with the team.

I am very much looking forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Pulitzer during your next trip to Amsterdam.

tyneside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Excellent holiday stay at the Pulitzer, Amsterdam. Hotel staff very friendly and more than helpful. Breakfast expensive but use the al a cart menu. Everyone speaks English very well. The hotel seemed to have lots of American tourists and business men when we were there. We stayed in room 309 which was overlooking the Canal. It has a king size bed and plenty of room. Bathroom more than adequate and towels and toiletries were replenished every day. On the whole, very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: 309, nice sized room and king size bed.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear grantyne,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. I am very pleased to read that you had a comfortable stay in our historical property. Did you know that the hotel consists out of 25 17th and 18th century canal houses?

I hope we may welcome you back in the near future!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Stayed here for about a week and enjoyed it a lot! It is centrally located, there are shops around, plenty of restaurants and the Dam Square is a mere 5 min walk away! The rooms are in a traditional Dutch style and very comfortable. The service is quite professional. They do allow dogs with an extra charge, we travel with a mini chihuahua, and even provided a dog bowl, bed and chew toys for us! Would definitely recommend

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Vonkhan,

Wow, thank you very much for such lovely words! I am very pleased to read that you and your dog have enjoyed your stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel.

I hope to welcome you back during your next visit to Amsterdam!

Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Stayed in this hotel on December 2013.

The room was great, quite comfortable with amazing view to Prinzegracht and although it overlooks the entrance of the hotel, the room was very quiet.

Beside that, the service in general is indeed as good as it gets, you feel like you're in a small boutique hotel (although the hotel is not small and part of a chain) in terms of service and hospitality.

The location is not far from Dam square, around 7-10 minutes walks.

All in all, very nice experience and highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Alon87,

Thank you very much for your lovely words and for your stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. I am very pleased to read that you had a memorable stay in our historical hotel.

I have shared your compliments with the entire team and truly hope that we may welcome you back whenever your travels bring you to The Netherlands again.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

This hotel is an odd configuration but the location is excellent - you are in walking distance to everything you would want to see in central Amsterdam. The beds are comfortable and the rooms are cozy and clean. The only concern I had was that there is no kettle or coffee maker in the rooms. If you are like me, I do not move with a coffee in the morning and we had to go on a mission each day. The coffee available in the lobby is expensive at approximately $6 euros for two small cups, so we often went to the market down the street. I have stayed there on two occasions and though it is the only European hotel I stayed at that did not provide a kettle (minimum) - the location and comfort were simply more important.

Room Tip: Buy a kettle and some instant coffee - if you are staying there for more than 3 days :0).
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Nicole B,

I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
Also, I would like to thank you for your comment regarding the missing coffee / tea facilities in the room. Your comments are taken very seriously and will be taken into consideration during future refurbishment of the rooms. Please note that we do offer a kettle or Nespresso machine upon request.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back during your next visit to The Netherlands.

Alex van Gastel

Been to Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!