“Loaded with character but some flaws” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315-331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Deal
Save €75 on select meals
Ranked #44 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Baltimore, Maryland
“Loaded with character but some flaws”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

When I travel--I love a hotel with character--and I certainly found it here.
The hotel is made up of 25 townhouses creatively connected--none of the rooms are the same, and there is lots of interesting art work placed around the hotel.
We had just come from a 4 Seasons--so it isn't fair to compare, really.
But the rooms were a little small and crowded. In addition, the wooden floor in our room was completely rubbed off and in need of repair. I am surprised that the management didn't see that.
The bathrooms were also a little inconvenient--and there was a real lack of electrical plugs in the room.
Still the rooms were charming and fun.
The breakfast was delicious and the room where it was served was, again, full of character.
I was a little disappointed that the concierge was not as well informed as I expected.
Several terrific attractions that we found were not highly rated by him---lucky we listened to Trip Advisor members instead.

The hotel was also located in a good area--walking distance to Anne Frank House, to the bus lines, and to lots of great shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear PikesvilleTraveler,

On behalf of the entire Hotel Pulitzer Team, I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.

I am very pleased to read that you had a comfortable stay and that you enjoyed the uniqueness of our historical hotel! Did you know that the canal houses, in which the hotel is located, date from the 17th and 18th century?

Your comments regarding the maintenance of the rooms have been shared with our Chief Engineer and his team, in order for us to improve our product.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back during your next visit to Amsterdam.

1,753 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sainte marguerite-l'estérel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Love the setup of traditional houses converted into a great hotel, lots of stairs and corridors, so might not be appropriate for some people, the room I had was big and spacious, great bathroom, the bed was super comfortable, the staff was courteous and attentive, Great restaurant but pricy as you would expect in this kind of hotel.

Room Tip: the canal views rooms are better
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear trappeurcub,

I would like to thank you very much for your stay at Hotel Pulitzer and for sharing your thoughts on Tripadvisor. I am happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay and that you appreciate the setup of the hotel. Did you know that Hotel Pulitzer consists out of 25 canal houses?

I truly hope that we may welcome you back in the near future.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Generally disappointed with the experience for family trip (6 people total including 3 kids one of whom has special needs). For a business trip it would have been fine.

We had reserved two adjoining king-size beds (or whatever the largest room configuration is) well in advance if our trip and notified the hotel that we would be arriving from the US so if there was any accommodation they could make it would be greatly appreciated.

We had numerous exchanges with the front desk and concierge in advance,

We arrive that morning to find that there was no record of our conversations. The rooms were NOT adjoining (we we're curtly told that we should have contacted the hotel in advance - gee, that makes ones blood boil) which is not ideal when traveling with small kids and we were given the smaller configuration room yet some how our rate structure for the larger room didn't change (of course).

I was nevertheless disappointed and we were told that our rooms would no be ready for a "a little while". Now we arrived at ~6am from the states, a "little while" turned out to be about 1pm. I get that they can't manufacture rooms and we have to wait for the guest the preceding night to leave - but every one of our advance requests were ignored... Moreover we were made to feel very uncomfortable while our family lingered in the lobby (it was cold/rainy outside) and numerous times had to move our luggage around the lobby.

I late wrote an email to Starwood re: the poor experience AND sent along all the advance correspondence we had with insight personnel.... CRICKETS. No response... Again, very disappointing from a brand that prides itself on customer service and considering this Luxury Collection asset is among their highest end.

Frankly it was a very dis satisfactory experience - I should have book the Dylan or if it were around the Andaz.

I travel a lot for business and while i think this is fine for that purpose , I wouldn't repeat here on principle.

Room Tip: Aim for the top floor - interesting roof lines
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear Jdcarcollector,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Your detailed comments are truly helpful in understanding how you felt about your experience with us and are highly appreciated. Please allow me to offer you our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused during your stay, as it was never our intention to give you a dissatisfied feeling.

Your feedback regarding the arrival experience has been shared with our Front Office Manager in order to improve our level of service in the future.

Once again, I would like to thank you for your comments. I truly hope you will give us the chance to welcome you back to Hotel Pulitzer and Ensure a memorable experience for you.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I just came back from a 3 day stay at Hotel Pulitzer and I was very satisfied. The hotel is in a great location that is close to some main attractions, yet far enough from the hustle and bustle of the city center. The staff was friendly from the time we arrived to the time we left. We actually didn't get to enjoy all of the amenities the hotel has to offer, but did take a quick look on our way out - the gym was immaculate and the courtyards were beautiful. Our room rate didn't include breakfast and I ate at the restaurant on the last day since nothing is open before 12pm on Sunday! The restaurant was great, but my one complaint is that the breakfast was way overpriced at 32 Euros per person. Everything else about this hotel was amazing and I am looking forward to going back soon!

Room Tip: Canal view rooms are nice, but I don't think its worth the extra money unless you're spendin...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear WorldTravelingCas,

Thank you very much for your stay at Hotel Pulitzer and for your review on Tripadvisor. I am very pleased to read that you had a comfortable stay in our historical hotel. I hope you got the chance to explore the city of Amsterdam while you were here!

We truly hope that we may welcome you back in the near future.

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

My son wanted me to find a centrally located hotel. I hesitated - asking if he wouldn't be happy staying at a room through VRBO. But in the end - I decided to splurge a bit. It was SO worth it. He has traveled with me to many places, and appreciates when service to a young hipster type traveling on a barebones budget it treated like a king. I was so proud when he told me that the say at this hotel had contributed to this being his best vacation ever. The location is excellent, the staff wonderful.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Portlander,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer and for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. I am very pleased to read that you and especially your son, had a memorable experience in Amsterdam.

I truly hope that we may welcome you back to Hotel Pulitzer during your next visit to The Netherlands.

Wausau, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

The Pulitzer is between two canals. We checked in at 7 am after a transAtlantic flight from Detroit. By upgrading to a canal view room for an additional 50 euros/day, we were able to get into our room at 7 am. The desk staff was most helpful as was every employee during our stay. The business center and lobby have free wifi access. We walked everywhere from the Pulitzer, and enjoyed wandering through the Hotel and grounds where artwork is displayed tastefully. Our room was small but adequate. It had four spectacular large windows looking out onto the Prinzengracht canal.

Room Tip: The extra expense for a room on a canal is worth it.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear GoWithGrace,

On behalf of the entire Hotel Pulitzer Team, I would like to thank you very much for your stay with us. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and I am happy to read that you had a memorable time in Amsterdam.
I hope you had the chance to explore our historical city while you were here!

We are looking forward to welcoming you back whenever your travels take you to Amsterdam.

Province of Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Very friendly staff who remembered my prior visit. This hotel is pristine and well located for Anne Frank and great shopping and dining. The hotel restaurant is excellent (prior visit) and the bar is great. Both useful if its too rainy to walk. Lots of inner courtyards to sit outside in nice weather. My room overlooking the canal was perfect. Note: only junior suites have separate shower stalls. Expresso bar in lobby is great for snacks and people watching. Its managed by Scots lady. What a prize she is. Free wifi here too. This hotel has a lot to offer and does so in impeccable fashion. I love to stay here!!

• Stayed November 2013
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear davidmarkwess,

Wow, thank you very much for your lovely review on Tripadvisor. It was a true pleasure to have you as our guest and I am pleased to read that you had a memorable experience in our historical hotel!

I have shared your compliments with the entire team and truly hope that I may welcome you back to Hotel Pulitzer in the near future!

Alex van Gastel

Been to Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!