“Highly overrated” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel

You added Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315-331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Offers & Announcements
Save €75 on select meals
Ranked #45 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Amsterdam
“Highly overrated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I stayed here with my baby and boyfriend in a deluxe room with canal view (18 m2). First, they put me in a room on the 2nd floor (room 204), which was almost at street level and to get there I had to take a couple of stairs, which was quite impossible with the buggy. I requested another room and they gave me one that was directly accessible from the elevator. It was a bit smaller though than the other one (room 384). A baby bed was put in the room.
The room was really small and the bed was not a real double bed. The bathroom was tiny too. Coffee and tea set is brought on request. Wifi in the lobby is free, but in the room is EUR10 per hour and EUR19 a day (!).
Lunch on the terrace of the bar was really nice (panini), coffee was good too, but the fresh orange juice was not freshly squeezed. Personnel was really friendly.

I think the amount we paid (EUR350) a night was not worth the money at all.
Pros:
- babies stay for free and a baby bed is put in the room
- great location
- friendly staff
- two little water bottles in the room every day
- nice hot shower (although in the bath tub)

Cons:
- overpriced
- tiny room and small bed
- dito bathroom
- no free wifi in room
- no swimming pool

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Trawor,

Thank you very much for your stay at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel. I would like to thank you as well for your honest feedback about your stay. Your comments are very important to us, as we are always striving to improve our service.

I hope we may get the chance of welcoming you back to Hotel Pulitzer in the future.

Alex van Gastel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed here last month and was very happy with our stay. The Hotel is centrally located.
The rooms are nice and the bed very comfortable. We reserved the deluxe canal view room and would recommend this. Loved the heated floor in the bathroom. If we return to Amsterdam, we will stay here again. Great Concierge staff!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear adamsnv,

Thank you very much for your stay at Hotel Pulitzer and thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read you had a wonderful time in Amsterdam. Your lovely comments have been shared with our entire team, especially our concierges.

Fair Lawn, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed at the Pulitzer for 2 nights last week. The Hotel is perfectly situated in Amsterdam. Our room was beautifully appointed and comfortable with a wonderful canal view. The staff was friendly, considerate and knowledgeable. The weather was cool and a bit rainy, however we will return to Amsterdam and we will stay at the Pulitzer again, for sure.

Room Tip: stay in an executive room with a canal view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear mary p,

Thank you very much for your lovely words about Hotel Pulitzer and for sharing them on Tripadvisor. I am very pleased to read that you had a memorable time in Amsterdam. Did you know that Hotel Pulitzer consists out of 25 canal houses, dated from the 17th and 18th century?
Once again, thank you very much for your review and I am looking forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Pulitzer during your next visit to Amsterdam.

Bucharest, Romania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I stayed at this hotel 3 weeks ago, paying in advance the room. Still, at check in the receptionist refused to give me the room without a 250 guarantee- cash or credit card. I agreed to give her my credit card and they block 240 euro! The next day, I let them the guarantee in cash, ask them to unblock my card- they agree to do it. In the 3rd day, being Monday, I ask again at the reception to solve this problem and the receptionist- the same aggressive woman from the check in- told me that she will transmit this request at the bank. Next day, when I checked my account, I saw that the Pulitzer Hotel from Amsterdam debit my card with 240 euro! I have to mention they debit my account, even I paid in advance the room for all the period I stayed there, I didn't spent anything from the restaurant, bar, minibar and I had in the same time a cash guarantee at the reception!!!
I ask them to give me my money back, but it seem that I talk with deaf! I explained many times to different persons what was happened and it is THEYR mistake, but they refuse to understand or accept it. Apologies and promises that it will be find a way to solve this issue... and that was all! Because in the next day I had to live the hotel to go home, I ask to talk with the manager. She or he was too busy to talk with me and the only person available at my request was Mr. Ralf Von Spaenden- Front Desk Supervisor. Even I let them the accounts current, the phone number from my bank- English line- and my phone number, he told me before to go out of the hotel, that they don't have the card number and they didn't understood some details. I repeat again the story, I write for him the card number, but...SURPRISE, at 1 pm the accountant just finished the program!!! So, except many sorrow, he did nothing!!!
Shortly, they didn't give me the 240 euro back and they refuse to talk with me- I called Mr Van Spaenden let him a message because he was to busy to talk!
The attitude of the receptionist is aggressive and they behave as they don't understand English, being beyond the clients problems/needs!

So.. if you care about your money, time ... choose another hotel!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Viorica A,

I would like to thank you very much for your stay at Hotel Pulitzer, but I am sorry to read that you did not have a pleasant experience at our hotel. Please note that I have shared your comments with our Front Office Manager and his team in order to improve our level of service in the future.

Once again, thank you very much for your honest feedback and I truly hope we may get the chance of welcoming you back to Hotel Pulitzer in the future,

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Pulitzer for a couple of nights this past week and really enjoyed our stay. The hotel was beautiful; made up of over 20 converted homes. The staff were very friendly and the breakfast in their restaurant was amazing; offering fresh pastries, fruit, cheeses, cereals and hot selections. The best part of the hotel was its central location. Everything was within walking distance. I would definitely stay here again.

Dear Cynthia C,

Thank you very much for your lovely words and for taking the time to share them on Tripadvisor. I am happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay in Amsterdam and your compliments have been shared with our entire team.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back to our historical hotel during your next visit to Amsterdam.

Lookout Mountain, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Beautiful property and quite unique. Close to restaurants and within walking distance to all the most important attractions in Amsterdam. Disappointed hat breakfast was not included when staying on points.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear nancy237,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at Hotel Pulitzer on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that you have had a pleasant time in Amsterdam. Please note that your comments have been shared with our entire team.

I hope we may welcome you back to Hotel Pulitzer during your next visit to Amsterdam.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Being a Gold Starwood Preffered Guest, I have to say Hotel Pulitzer is just plain horrible and absolutely disappointed with this Hotel.

Firstly, I booked this particular hotel for 3 nights on the SPG's website about it being it being "the luxury collection hotel'. Everything seems to go wrong 1 week before I checked into this hotel when I received an email asking whether I would like to pay an extra of 'x' amount of Euro per nite to upgrade my room to have the 'canal view's room'. According to the Starwood's official website, a good member of Starwood preferred guest will benefit an enhanced room when check in, if available. However , this seems NoT being apply in this particular hotel(although being a SPG groups of hotel) unless you pay for it !!!.

Secondly, when booking this particular Hotel, I have specifically request if I can check in early as my flight arrived very early into Amsterdam. However, upon my arrival, the receptionist told me I need to pay an extra Euro 50 if I want to check in 3 hours early!!! This is absolutely ridiculous as the room is available and after flying for long hours, I was made to wait for the standard time to check in!!
Upon checking into the room, I was SHOCK at the size and comfortability of the room. It was so small that after putting my luggage, I have to literally tip-toe to the bathroom. Even the bathroom is so small and not to mention that the bathtub is tiny and slippery. Am foreseeing customers will trip and fall in the bathtub soonest.

Nothing in room nor the hotel screams 'luxury collection hotel'.a lot of amenities are not available in the room. Even the bed is not comfortable at all !! The management should look seriously and learn from other luxury collection hotels!!!

As this is my 1st night here and have 2 more nights here, I can't wait to leave this hotel and to never come back AGAIN! For the amount of money that I am paying, there are other hotels that are much comfortable. Being a gold SPG member has not benefitted me much in this hotel and I'm seriously rethinking of changing my future SPG stays to other chain! In fact I will personally write to SPG to reconsider naming hotel Pulitzers as 'luxury collection hotel'.

There's is no point for the management to apologies and to reply to my review as I had enough of this Hotel! If the answer Pulitzers being a luxury collection hotel because of its rich history building, perhaps it was misleading to named it as 'luxury collection' and instead should be a 'historically old hotel'

Room Tip: Don't think there are any good rooms as all are generally small and EXPENSIVE !!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!