“Great hotel, central location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam

You added Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315-331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel)   |
Ranked #52 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
Toronto, Canada
“Great hotel, central location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Pulitzer for a couple of nights this past week and really enjoyed our stay. The hotel was beautiful; made up of over 20 converted homes. The staff were very friendly and the breakfast in their restaurant was amazing; offering fresh pastries, fruit, cheeses, cereals and hot selections. The best part of the hotel was its central location. Everything was within walking distance. I would definitely stay here again.

AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Cynthia C,

Thank you very much for your lovely words and for taking the time to share them on Tripadvisor. I am happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay in Amsterdam and your compliments have been shared with our entire team.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back to our historical hotel during your next visit to Amsterdam.

Alex van Gastel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lookout Mountain, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Beautiful property and quite unique. Close to restaurants and within walking distance to all the most important attractions in Amsterdam. Disappointed hat breakfast was not included when staying on points.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear nancy237,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at Hotel Pulitzer on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that you have had a pleasant time in Amsterdam. Please note that your comments have been shared with our entire team.

I hope we may welcome you back to Hotel Pulitzer during your next visit to Amsterdam.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Being a Gold Starwood Preffered Guest, I have to say Hotel Pulitzer is just plain horrible and absolutely disappointed with this Hotel.

Firstly, I booked this particular hotel for 3 nights on the SPG's website about it being it being "the luxury collection hotel'. Everything seems to go wrong 1 week before I checked into this hotel when I received an email asking whether I would like to pay an extra of 'x' amount of Euro per nite to upgrade my room to have the 'canal view's room'. According to the Starwood's official website, a good member of Starwood preferred guest will benefit an enhanced room when check in, if available. However , this seems NoT being apply in this particular hotel(although being a SPG groups of hotel) unless you pay for it !!!.

Secondly, when booking this particular Hotel, I have specifically request if I can check in early as my flight arrived very early into Amsterdam. However, upon my arrival, the receptionist told me I need to pay an extra Euro 50 if I want to check in 3 hours early!!! This is absolutely ridiculous as the room is available and after flying for long hours, I was made to wait for the standard time to check in!!
Upon checking into the room, I was SHOCK at the size and comfortability of the room. It was so small that after putting my luggage, I have to literally tip-toe to the bathroom. Even the bathroom is so small and not to mention that the bathtub is tiny and slippery. Am foreseeing customers will trip and fall in the bathtub soonest.

Nothing in room nor the hotel screams 'luxury collection hotel'.a lot of amenities are not available in the room. Even the bed is not comfortable at all !! The management should look seriously and learn from other luxury collection hotels!!!

As this is my 1st night here and have 2 more nights here, I can't wait to leave this hotel and to never come back AGAIN! For the amount of money that I am paying, there are other hotels that are much comfortable. Being a gold SPG member has not benefitted me much in this hotel and I'm seriously rethinking of changing my future SPG stays to other chain! In fact I will personally write to SPG to reconsider naming hotel Pulitzers as 'luxury collection hotel'.

There's is no point for the management to apologies and to reply to my review as I had enough of this Hotel! If the answer Pulitzers being a luxury collection hotel because of its rich history building, perhaps it was misleading to named it as 'luxury collection' and instead should be a 'historically old hotel'

Room Tip: Don't think there are any good rooms as all are generally small and EXPENSIVE !!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Sonoma, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed here from August 29th to September 1 and it is beautiful. It's right on the canal and is a collection of older houses that have been combined to form the hotel. Each room is a little bit different which adds charm and character. The rooms are clean and of decent size. The restaurant breakfast spread is fantastic and the service from the staff is excellent. The concierge group is extremely knowledgeable and friendly. No question is too small to ask and they will almost certainly know the answer. The hotel is close to the Anne Frank House and the Westerkerk.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear ACE3674,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. I am very happy to read that you had a memorable stay with us and that you enjoyed the historical buildings in which Hotel Pulitzer is located. Did you know the 25 canal houses are a Unesco World Heritage Site?
We hope to welcome you back to Hotel Pulitzer during your next visit to Amsterdam.

Greenwich, London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Rooms are really comfortable. Hotel has a small but pretty good gym. Staff are very nice and helpful and the food in the bar is good - I had a burger, a steak and the fish (just not all on one night).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Carl P,

Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor. It was a true pleasure having you as our guest.
I am happy to read you enjoyed the room and found it comfortable. Pulitzer's bar was recently chosen as the best hotelbar in Amsterdam, of which we are naturally very proud.

We look forward welcoming you back to our unique property.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We were able to reserve a hotel room despite an incredibly busy time in Amsterdam during the last week of August. A convention had eaten up all hotel rooms. Yet when we checked in we were honored to get an upgraded floor and bath tub, just about everything we desired. The hotel staff couldn't have been nicer and got us last minute restaurant reservations. The concierge team is really wonderful. So kudos to the front desk, manager and even the bell hop who was friendly and informative. Also worth noting, the breakfast is wonderful. The chef made a neighboring table a unique terrine of omelette which I craved the minute I saw it and after ordering the same thing I devoured it! Sumptuous!
About the room , bathroom was ok size with a terrific bathtub / shower but no counter space. The bed was comfortable. The room size was on small size but perfectly quiet and the ceiling was nice and high with gorgeous exposed beams. There is NO TURN DOWN so for those craving this type of service don't expect it. Towels were aplenty .We would absolutely stay here again and keep our family tradition alive!

Room Tip: High Floor feels quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear gallerygirl09,

Thank you very much for your review on your stay in Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection hotel. We really appreciate the fact that you took the time to write such a complete story on your experiences with us.
I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and was able to explore Amsterdam and our hotel during to busy couple of weeks. Please be informed that I have shared your wonderful words with our team.

I hope we may welcome you back again to Hotel Pulitzer.

Hamilton Square, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stayed at the Putlizer from August 19th to August 23rd. The hotel is a fantastic place. It is located perfectly, has a great bar and restaurant and the staff is outstanding. The staff at the hotel went out of their way to make sure we had everything we need. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Michael W,

Thank for your feedback and for taking the time to provide us with your thoughts on how you experienced your stay here at our hotel.
It is nice to read that you like the hotel and that you found our staff friendly and professional, I will definitely share your comments with our teams.
We do thank you for having chosen our Property for your stay in Amsterdam and also for having taken the time to share your experience.

Alex van Gastel

Been to Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam? Share your experiences!