“Authentic experience. Classy hotel with excellent location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel

You added Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315-331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Offers & Announcements
Enjoy from €75 F
Ranked #45 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Livingston, New Jersey
“Authentic experience. Classy hotel with excellent location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed four nights at the pulitzer. It is a winner and provided a very authentic experience together with all desired modern conveniences. The staff was helpful, and plentiful. Happy to guide and offer assistance at every turn. Very classy place. Excellent location. Close to everything. Lots of really good restaurants in walking distance. I agree with one of the earlier revies that breakfast was slightly lackluster. Yet there was plenty to eat. Coffee was excellent Would have liked to see a larger selection of fresh friuit

• Stayed August 2013
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Amy C,

Thank you very much for your nice comments and your very motivating words for our team.

It is lovely to read that you like the hotel and that you found our staff friendly and professional, I will definitely share your comments with our teams.
Furthermore I will share your comment on the fruit selection during breakfast with our Food and Beverage Manager, to see if we can make some changes in that area.

Alex van Gastel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
St. Albans, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We spent a long weekend in Amsterdam and decided to stay here. It's really easy to get to the hotel - either via a cab or from the Central Station in Amsterdam. Check-in experience was seamless, and the concierge was extremely helpful. They have a great bar with a lovely cocktails menu too.
This hotel is actually a collection of houses that have been remodelled to fit together. Which means that there are countless little staircases and passages you have to navigate to get around the hotel. They do provide a map, but be prepared to be a little patient. But this happens to be part of the charm of the hotel. After a day, you're quite familiar and everything is signed quite well.
Don't skip over drinks in the garden, especially if the weather is good. (See the Espresso Bar comment later.) For our first night, we had cocktails in the bar (which has great service and a more amazing menu), and then ventured out for dinner. A great selection of restaurants are in the vicinity if you don't want to dine there.
From the hotel, most of the attractions in the city are within walking distance. Or if you prefer, you can hire a bike and navigate in local style. The Espresso Bar serves Nespresso together with yummy pastries, so if you're feeling up to it, certainly take it in one morning or afternoon.
I was particularly fond of the Night Streets district, just one block from the hotel. Don't miss it for great boutiques and amazing coffee (and a coffee shop if you are so inclined). Lastly, the canal cruise on their boat is expensive but a nice luxurious experience - well worth it.
The only room for improvement would be breakfast. I found service every morning to be lacklustre and a disappointment compared to the rest of the hotel. The maitre'd was sometimes a little surly and the waitrons are forgetful sometimes.

Room Tip: We asked for a room higher up to avoid the sound from the streets below. A good idea. Also, canal...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Grant H,

Thank you very much for the review on your stay in Hotel Pulitzer. We really appreciate the fact that you took the time to write such a complete story on your stay with us.

I am delighted to read you enjoyed the hotel and its facilities, as Hotel Pulitzer is an unique hotel with its quirky interior. Furthermore I would like to thank you for recommending coffee in one of our gardens, probably one of my personal favorite places in the hotel.
Also I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback on the breakfast buffet. Please be informed that we are looking into this matter, and will improve where we can, so we can offer you an exceptional breakfast experience as well.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I've been living in Amsterdam for 18 years and I've been to the Pulitzer bar a few times (very nice, especially in the summer when you can enjoy the beautiful garden). I never thought I would actually stay at the Pulitzer, until a few months ago when together with my husband we decided to celebrate our anniversary there. The first weekend of August the Prinsengracht becomes the colorful setting of the boat parade during Amsterdam's Gay Pride. And there's no better location than the Pulitzer to watch it.
The hotel's manager was very kind to make sure our room would have a good view of the canal. The upgrade to a canal view costs €50 and it is definitely worth it. The room was on the third floor and it had a fantastic unobstructed view of the canal. Our room (a deluxe double) was spacious enough, with a marble bathroom, very comfortable bed, and all the amenities you can expect from a luxury hotel.
Staying at the Pulitzer means living "the Amsterdam experience": not only because of the location, literally in the centre of everything, but also because the building is a perfect representation of what it means living in an Amsterdam house. With the advantage that instead of steep stairs and narrow hallways, at the Pulitzer you can take the lift and wander through the beautiful meandering corridors that connect the various houses together.
The staff is definitely among the most courteous and polite I've experienced; and although I know enough about the city to navigate it by myself, I was surprised by the knowledge of the concierge team. They know things about Amsterdam that even many locals don't!
Breakfast and dinner at the restaurant were excellent. The restaurant has beautiful views on the Keizersgracht and the Reestraat, one of the picturesque "9 streets" of Amsterdam. The interior of the restaurant will bring you back to the 17th century life. The restaurant is famous for its grilled meat, definitely worth trying. The gym at the hotel is on the small side but very well equipped. Those who like jogging can do so early in the morning along the canals.
I was truly satisfied with my stay at the Pulitzer, so much that I already booked the same room for next year. Compared to other luxury hotels, the Pulitzer expresses its charm not with golden finishes, but with truly authentic furniture and architecture, and outstanding service. Having visited many residences in the center of Amsterdam, I can honestly say that staying the Pultizer is a truly authentic and indigenous experience.

Room Tip: The upgrade to a canal view is absolutely worth it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bingo_the_dog,

Thank you very much for choosing Hotel Pulitzer as your destination to celebrate your wedding anniversary! What an honor! I agree with you that our hotel is one of the best locations to watch the Gay Pride boats float through the Canals.

Furthermore I am very happy to read you enjoyed the 'Amsterdam' way of experiencing the city. Not only when exploring the city, but also the interior of the hotel shows how we live in Amsterdam. Thank you very much for your compliments on our Ambassadors, I have shared your review with our team, it was a great motivator!

I look forward welcoming you again in Hotel Pulitzer next year!

Utrecht
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Stayed at this hotel early April. The thing with this Hotel is that it's build in multiple connecting canal houses. Truth been told, it will probably be one of your most unique hotel experiences.

That being said, this can cause your experience to vary. For example, my room was all the way at the back of the hotel. It took me almost 5 minutes to get to the reception area through all kinds of small hallways and stairs. (It's easy to get lost). But this makes it a fun unique experience. If you want to experience Amsterdam there are better hotels in my opinion, but this one is part of the SPG collection where I have some bennefits.

Staff was very nice and helpful. Room was not worth the money in my opinion. My view was overlooking the airconditioning units which wasnt too nice.

The hotel is pretty close to connecting trams and busses but too far out for walking to the city center.

Stayed here for business, but next time I'll choose a different hotel which is closer to the center. But it's not a bad choice either.

Room Tip: Only choose a room with Canal view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

My husband and I travelled here for my husband’s birthday (February) and the city was cold and beautiful. We’re accustomed to a rather wet type of cold here in the UK, but Amsterdam has a much more pleasant, dry cold.

This was the first five-star hotel we’d stayed in (at that point) and we enjoyed a very comfortable three nights at this hotel. I immediately noticed a few small things about The Pulitzer that made it stand out. The staff were always happy to help and nothing was too much trouble for them; the receptionist even wished my husband a happy birthday on arrival (our travel agent must have relayed this information to the hotel when we booked a few months earlier), which I thought was a nice touch. Our room was spacious and clean; the bed was very comfortable (firm, but not hard; just the way I like my bed when staying away from home)

I’m usually one to get caught up in the cleanliness and location of our accommodation, but what truly impressed me about this hotel was the bar and restaurant. I told my husband that I’d like to take him out for dinner on his birthday and he said he’d like to try the hotel restaurant, saying he’d pay his half. I reminded him it was his birthday and said I wouldn’t hear of it; it was my treat. Their prices are to be expected of a five-star hotel (by which I mean that their prices aren’t particularly high, given the beautiful surroundings, excellent choice of wines and spirits available and their immaculately turned-out staff) and so we dressed for dinner and made our way downstairs for a few drinks beforehand.

The gentleman at the bar asked if we would like to sit by the fire on such a cold night and we agreed. We enjoyed a few gin and tonics as we chatted and relaxed in a pair of high-backed Chesterfield chairs by the fire; wonderful!

Arriving in the restaurant, we discovered an impressive menu and the quality of the food was exceptional. The lady who served us was knowledgeable about the selection of wines on offer and ingredients in each course. She was friendly and helpful, yet politely scarce when she saw we were enjoying a particularly tender moment; she smiled at me and indicated she would come back later to take our dessert order.

I would highly recommend this hotel for luxurious breaks away with a partner, on your own or even as a small group looking to recharge your batteries; a wonderful experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

The hotel is in a wonderful location, just two blocks from the Anne Frank House and not far from many wonderful restaurants. Other key attractions and museums are all within a doable 15-20 minute walk. The sleeping rooms are adequate, not big or fancy though. I was a bit surprised the hotel is part of Starwood's Luxury Collection. It was not as nice as other hotels in the Luxury Collection that I have visited. The staff was helpful but always seemed super busy. The hotel restaurant offers delicious food. The hotel owns a boat and canal tours are available in the late afternoon, a definite must for all guests. My stay was an overall good experience. I would encourage future visitors to not set expectations too high.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

I come to Europe a lot. I have stayed at multiple hotels in Amsterdam both out near the airport and in town. The Hotel Pulitzer ranks as one of the top properties I have stayed at anywhere in the world. My stay wasn't perfect because of a computer issue preventing check-in. This does not reflect on the hotel as much as it reflects on our dependence on technology. I left my mobile number and took the opportunity to stroll around the area. One of the best things about the hotel is location. It is ideally located and when you stay here you feel like a well-heeled local. Food and beverages can be had for cheaper away from the hotel but this goes for Dam Square as well.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!