“Perfect location in historic hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315-331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Offers & Announcements
Save €75 on select meals
Ranked #43 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
Needham, MA
“Perfect location in historic hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is an excellent hotel in a perfect location. We stayed here two nights in May and it was the perfect place for our exploration of Amsterdam. The concierge was very helpful with restaurant suggestions. The desk staff were friendly and efficient. The room was plain and the bath was modern yet had a bit o dutch character. The hotel made up of a series of canal houses linked together to form this quaint hotel was exactly what we wanted for our brief trip. The location can't be beat as we walked to all key attractions. Only downside was that we found the sound from other rooms could be heard quite clearly. Otherwise, an excellent choice.

Room Tip: ask for canal view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

1,774 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

On the plus side the great location, a big size suite, good size bathroom, bulgari toiletries, fluffy towels, and some good concierges.
But; the rug in the bedroom was filthy, toiletries were not replaced, even though we stayed 6 nights, the curtains were falling off the rails in places, overall very poorly maintained rooms. Not what one expects for over a thousand euros a night.
Will not be staying again. A shame.

• Stayed June 2013
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Sintragirl,

Thank you very much for your review.

I am disappointed that to read that your stay in Hotel Pulitzer did not meet your expectations. The scene you describe is not the level of service we pride ourselves with. The rooms in our property are the basics and should be immaculate. I have shared your feedback with our Maintenance and Housekeeping team, in order to improve the state of the room and fix the curtains.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope that despite this unfortunate experience, we may welcome you again in Hotel Pulitzer.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We spent six days at the Pulitzer and loved it. It's in a great location just a few blocks from the Anne Frank Huis and public transportation. The regular room was so lovely that, even though we had a chance to upgrade to a canal room, we chose to stay in our room. The bed and bed linen were much more comfortable than in other European hotels we've stayed in, there was plenty of floor and storage space, and the room was kept very clean. The staff was friendly and efficient. Be sure to book a room with breakfast provided because the cost of the breakfast buffet was 32 euro with no cheaper buffet option. The food on the buffet is quite good, although the quality of service at breakfast time is a bit uneven. The concierges were very pleasant and helpful, especially Maurits. I strongly recommend this hotel, and look forward to our next stay.

Dear stanjinji,

Thank you very much for your review on your stay in Hotel Pulitzer. We really appreciate the fact that you took the time to write such a complete story on your experiences with us. It is nice to read that you like the hotel and that you found our staff friendly and professional, I will definitely share your comments with our teams. Especially Maurits was delighted to hear he was of good service to you.

I hope we may welcome you again in Hotel Pulitzer.

Washington DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I just completed a five night stay at this property. While the property itself is exceptionally charming, I cannot recommend that anyone stay here. Primarily because I find the management at this property to be the absolute worst that I've encountered in my 7+ years as SPG Plat. It's very clear to me that given the GM's clear apathy for customer care is something that trickles down to much of the staff.

While there were many problems, the biggest one was when on our fourth night at the property, we got to our room at approximately 7.30pm and noticed there was LOUD (as if there was a disco club in the middle of our room) techno music coming from the courtyard outside. I called the Duty Manager to inquire as to when the music would be lasting until. The Duty Manager came to our room and told us that there was an event in the courtyard, but that the music would subside at 10pm. I conveyed to the Duty Manager my concern about the fact that we were not told about this in advance of our stay since clearly this event was planned long in advance. Having loud techno music at 10pm is not my idea of a good hotel stay and in fact, anyone who has young children can tell you that it would ruin the next day since you can't get the kids to bed. Not only did the music not subside at 10pm, but rather it continued until 11.15pm. And then there was loud noise with people cleaning up and moving things and this lasted until midnight. Not once did the Duty Manager follow up with me. I called him again at 10.56pm after finally being fed up and instructed him to have the GM (Mr. van Gastel) follow up directly with me in the morning. I never heard from Mr. van Gastel. A shocking level of apathy for customer care from someone working in the hospitality industry.

Room Tip: Beware, many rooms in the hotel are the size of a linen closet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Aristotlenova,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your Hotel Pulitzer experience with us on TripAdvisor. As we attach a lot of importance to any feedback or comments our guests may have, your review is highly valued.

Fortunately I had the opportunity to personally speak with you after your stay. Please be informed that it was never our intention to give you the feeling that you were not appreciated and well taken care of. As I mentioned in my telephone conversation with you, I am a firm believer of direct contact with our guests and I am very sorry that during your stay I was not able to speak to you in person. I believe we came to a good and fair resolution of the matter.

On behalf of entire team at Hotel Pulitzer, I am happy to know, that despite this unfortunate experience, we may welcome you again in our unique property soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I highly recommend this hotel after my three night stay. The location is central, with lots of dining/tourist options. The rooms are all very different and would love a canal view next time. The service at the hotel was above and beyond anything I have experienced. The front desk, espresso bar, concierge, and most importantly Bar Pulitzer. Wajeeh is the best bartender in Amsterdam! Pulitzer will be my home away from home on all future visits.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear C C,

Thank you so much for these nice comments and the very motivating words for our team! It truly was a pleasure having you as you as our guest.
Furthermore I would like to thank you for your compliments on our bar, we actually won the 'Best Hotel Bar' in Amsterdam. We are very happy with this and Wajeeh and his team are very proud.

I look forward welcoming you again, perhaps next time in a Canal View room.

Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We loved the Hotel Pulitzer. Service was faultless, the staff were all lovely and couldn't do enough to help. The breakfast was very generous with a wide choice of fruit, breads, pastries and hot foods. Cool bar to relax in the evening and good service again there.

Great location with most of the key attractions within walking distance and some lovely restaurants and bars nearby- plenty of choice of all types of cuisine.

Tip- As the hotel is made up of a number of houses, some of the rooms are internal facing ( ours overlooked an internal corridor). If you want an external view you may need to ask for this at time of booking.

Room Tip: Ask for an exterior facing view at time of booking if this is important to you
Dear Mrs- Stringer,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.
It is great to take part of your feedback and it makes me especially happy to read about our ambassadors and how you experience our guest services.
Our goal is to always offer best possible service and it great to read you felt well taken care of during your trip.

On behalf of the entire team at Hotel Pulitzer, I hope we may welcome you again in our unique property.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

As the previous reviewer says, this lovely hotel manages to merge old buildings with modern interiors and still retain its intrinsic charm. The hotel consists of several historic houses built around a series of charming, interconnected gardens. It fronts onto a fairly quiet stretch of canal and although we had a canal view room there was no noise at night. However, the famous nine streets of boutique shops are just around the corner and it is only a five or six minute walk to Dam Square and is therefore ideally placed for a tourist.

Food at the hotel is expensive, but with dining this fine and in a luxury hotel that is what one would expect. I thought 29 euros for breakfast was too much to pay for the amount I actually eat, but have absolutely not doubt that it was worth the money.

The staff were exceptionally professional and the ethos of the hotel was extremely relaxed and accommodating. We had a lovely room with perhaps the best bed and bed linen I have ever slept in.

On our last night, the hotel held a cocktail party in the gardens to celebrate winning the Dutch Tourist Board's gold award to which all the hotel guests were invited. We were greeted with veuve clicqout, exquisite food and free drinks and food all evening. Although many representatives of the tourist industry were present, hotel staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome and valued. The hotel certianly knows how to throw a party!

If you choose to eat out of the hotel, Cau in Dam Straat is excellent and an oasis in a desert of fast food. We had great food there - good quality ingredients relatively simply cooked and not expensive. We ate there twice and would have gone back had we stayed longer. However, Bi jon just down the canal from the hotel was annoying. It had a good atmosphere, but the food was basic, the ingredients cheap, the preparation school dinnerish and also very expensive.

A canal bus day pass (at 20 euros) where you can hop on and hop off is really worth the money and also comes with a guided tour which is informative and interesting.

Almost arctic weather in Amsterdam this last week, but we had a great time!

Room Tip: All the rooms in the hotel are different. Ours, 217, overlooked the canal and had a beamed ceiling.
Dear 186378Elizabeth,

Thank you very much for your wonderful words and compliments. It is truly heartwarming to read you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.
I am delighted to read you joined us in our celebrations with regards to winning the Dutch Hotel Award. Our Mid Summer Night Garden party was a lovely way to show our gratitude to our clients and friends in the tourist industry, as well as our guests.

Thank you again for your review and I look forward welcoming you again in Hotel Pulitzer.

Alex van Gastel

Been to Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!