“Picture perfect luxury hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315-331, Amsterdam 1016 GZ, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #43 of 340 hotels in Amsterdam
New York, New York, United States
“Picture perfect luxury hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Can'twait to go back. Spent a long weekend at this Beautiful, unique hotel that is in the perfect location! Looks like canal houses from the outside but high end hotel behind. Luxury rooms with beautiful views. Professional staff with high service level.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear Jenna S,

Thank you for your wonderful review! With great pleasure I have shared your compliments with all ‘Pulitzer Ambassadors’ regarding the wonderful service they delivered. We are honored to have the change to create another memorable experience for you in the near future at Hotel Pulitzer!

1,635 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Luxembourg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed here for one night on business trip. Everything was fine about the hotel. Room was inward facing on 1st floor so no view or great light. Room was nice, good bathroom etc. Hotel is very central so easy to walk to centre. Breakfast was good. Service was efficient.

Internet access was approx. €25 per day which is crazy these days when you (my company) are paying over €200 for a room per night.

Overall the hotel was fine but I may try somewhere else next time in Amsterdam.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view of the canal.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear LuxTraveller,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read you enjoyed the hotel and the room. Please be informed that we have the first half hour WIFI in the hotel, free of charge. Furthermore we have 4 terminals in the lobby with complimentary internet access. Charges for additional WIFI access are indeed applicable in our hotel and these charges are aligned throughout our hotels within Starwood Hotels & Resorts. On behalf of the entire team of Hotel Pulitzer, I hope we may welcome you again in our hotel, when your travels take you to Amsterdam.

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

Charming, modern, tasteful, historical, pampered. These are the words I think of about my recent stay at the Pulitzer. When I return to Amsterdam, this will be my hotel of choice. It was one of my best Starwood hotel experiences, anywhere. While not all rooms may be renovated, the one I was given was recently remodeled. Modern bathroom, though small, modern conveniences, old world charm throughout. I had an executive room which includes breakfast, and they did a first rate breakfast buffet each day I was there. I did not have a canal view, and I didn't miss it at all - in fact, I enjoyed the quiet interior room. The restaurant for dinner was also fantastic - I recommend the traditional dishes for local flavor. This hotel is in a wonderful location a few minutes from a tram, five minutes walk from major sites, etc.

It's also worth noting that I'm usually not so impressed with the staff and concierge at Starwood hotels - in general, I feel that they need more training in "helpfulness". The staff at the Pulitzer should go train the other hotels. From finding a local service business to recommend restaurants and tourist sites, they were fantastic. Since the staff often makes or breaks a hotel experience, this is definitely one of their more important assets.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Sceennamegoeshere,

It is a true delight to read your comments regarding your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer on Tripadvisor. The comfort of your quiet and indigenous room, our traditional dishes at restaurant Keizersgracht 238 and the convenience of the location of the hotel are indeed special treats to make your stay even more comfortable.

Your heart-warming words regarding the helpfulness of our Ambassadors have been shared with the entire team and we all hope to have the honor welcoming you back in the near future and create another memorable ‘Pulitzer-Experience’ for you!

Keizer, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The Hotel Pulitzer was a great old world hotel located in the musuem district close to all the sights. It consists of 25 row houses converted into a hotel. As a result the rooms are all quite different and consist of a maze of corridors and levels. The first room (deluxe) we were shown was cold and dark and a big let down from the advertising and reviews. Carlos our bellman (excellent) saw the look on our face and quickly jumped into action. He called the front and instantly had two other options to show us. For 50 euro a day more we ended up in a very nice room on the canal with a whole wall of windows. The morning buffet is great but make it early as it is not very well maintained. Overall a wonderful hotel. Ask for Ron Stoevelarr the Head Concierge and he will take great care of you.

Room Tip: upgrade to a canal room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear William007_60,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at Hotel Pulitzer. Due to the historical value of the canal houses (listed as UNESCO World Heritage) all rooms are different in size and shape. The comfort of a room at Hotel Pulitzer is very personal and therefore I am delighted to read that our bellman did his utmost to ensure a indigenous room for you which was to your satisfaction.

Furthermore, I would like to assure you that your feedback regarding the breakfast buffet has been shared with our Food and Beverage Manager in order to ensure a well maintained breakfast buffet, my apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused.

In closure, I want to thank you for recommending our concierge services, they are the ‘Amsterdam-experts’ and can guarantee a memorable visit to all of the Amsterdam’s hidden treasures!

KS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Starwood Luxury Collection property located near many attractions and within walking distance of many neighborhoods. Unique setting in that several canal houses comprise the rooms at the hotel. Really get a good feeling for true Dutch architecture. Canal view rooms are nice, but be warned that those can be noisy at nighttime!

Starwood Platinum travelers get breakfast included for free. If you aren't eligible for this I would suggest booking a package with breakfast included. Wonderful buffet with hot, cold, pastries, etc. very good and they will also make you fresh omelets, fried eggs, etc.

The bar at the Pulitzer is a great place to enjoy a cocktail before heading out for a fun evening.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 472, a canal view king. Nice view of the Kiezersgracht canal
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear KS_Travelin_girl,

Hotel Pulitzer does consists out of canal houses, 25 in total, all dated back from the 17th and 18th century. I am glad you enjoyed the indigenous feeling of the buildings’ architecture. Due the unique lay out of the hotel all rooms are different in size, shape and view. Rooms with a canal view can indeed be noisier than the rooms facing the inner courtyards. I do want to apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Our Chef was very pleased with your compliments regarding the breakfast buffet as well as our bartenders were with your comments about the nice atmosphere and enjoyable cocktails at the Pulitzers Bar. Once again thank you for sharing your experiences with other users and I hope we have the pleasure to welcome you back soon.

Panama City Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

I love being greeted with friendly faces that remember that I have stayed here before, even if two years ago. Anytime I come to Amsterdam I will continue to stay here. The location is excellent, the service impeccable, and the rooms are most comfortable. SHORT Walking distance to excellent restaurants and key shopping, Anne Frank House, etc...

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Yoster57,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. It is a true delight to read we have the change to welcome you back in the future! Hotel Pulitzer is indeed located in the center of Amsterdam with almost all local attractions within walking distance. Your compliments regarding the high level of service has been shared with all Ambassadors already. We are looking forward to welcome you again at Hotel Pulitzer.

BS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I stayed in this hotel in November 2011 with customers from Australia and we liked it. Hardly to get a reservation you have to book longer time in advance.
The staff is very friendly and accommodating and try to assist their Platinums in a good way.
Only one thing is that the rooms are a bit small. But this experience I had also in another hotel in Amsterdam. I seems that this is standard.
The breakfast is very extensive. Unfortunately I didn find a lounge in this hotel. But as we've been outside in the city the most of the time it wasn't that important this time.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear mba4u,

It was truly a pleasure welcoming you as one of our greatly valued SPG Platinum members. I am delighted to read you were content with our service. Indeed, the rooms are not as spacious as in the United States of America, however please inform us should you not be happy with your room. We are more than happy to provide you with a room more to your satisfaction.
I hope we may welcome you again in Hotel Pulitzer.

Alex van Gastel

Been to Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!