“full of character, great service and location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315-331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Offers & Announcements
Save €75 on select meals
Ranked #45 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
San Francisco, California
“full of character, great service and location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

A colleague recommended this hotel for a recent convention (at the convention center RAI), and overall it was a great experience. The location is great (basically 2 blocks from the Anne Frank House, 0.7 km from Dam Square), and the hotel itself is full of "charm," being made up of a bunch of old townhouses somehow fused together in a rather Frankenstein kind of way. As such, the rooms are all different (I assume), but have old European character (high ceilings, classic furnishings). Perhaps the biggest downsides of this charm were the somewhat tiny bathroom (need to close the door to access the toilet) and the incredible rat's maze of stairs, elevators, and passageways to access my room. Rooms in my area were clustered in small groups, and there seemed to be countless different ways to access any particular room. I truly felt like a rat learning a maze in trying to remember how to get from reception to my room and back each time. Also not particularly convenient if you're dragging luggage up and down small stairways. While I've heard canal rooms can be noisy, some interior rooms (like mine) have a downside of having the rather large (12 feet tall?) window face a passageway, requiring closed curtains for full privacy.
However, service seemed to make up for the inconvenience. I had urgent paperwork that needed to be faxed/sent back to the US and they found a way for me to get it home when the fax was on the blink, late into the evening.
As others have warned, getting around Amsterdam beyond the immediate area can take some time and money. Cab rides around town tend to be 20 Euro minimum, and the tram ride to the convention center can take 30-40 min at certain times. But that's not really anything to do with this hotel, as the location was well located for what much of central Amsterdam has to offer.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments and ratings on TripAdvisor. I am happy to read that we able to accomodate your preferences in Hotel Pulitzer. Indeed, Hotel Pulitzer consists of 25 Canal Houses, making the internal room plan unique. Hotel Pulitzer does not have straight corridors with rooms on each side. Het hotel is linked though passageways, little steps and corners. Our porters are more than happy to assist you with your luggage, as they know every corner and staircase in the hotel. Taxi's in Amsterdam are indeed a bit pricey. As we have a well working Public Transport system, locals do not use taxi's often. Most people have a bicycle to get around the city. The RAI can easily be reached by train or tram, which stops 200 meters from our doorstep.
On behalf of the entire team, I hope we may welcome you back to Hotel Pulitzer when your travels take you to Amsterdam.

Alex van Gastel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

I stayed here for a week in early June and had a wonderful time in Amsterdam, partly due to the warm services provided by this hotel. I highly recommend this hotel for the following reasons:
1) Location - if 5 min walk to Anne Frank & Jordaan, and 8 min to Dam Square is not good enough, a walk around the canal right outside the hotel is something money cannot buy at home. Rijksmuseum & Van Gogh and Central Station are just 8-10 min away by tram.
2) From arrival to front desk to concierge service, this hotel has one of the best trained staff in Starwood group. We arrived early and early check-in was not possible. The Concierge, Ronald, immediately came up with a walking tour plan, plus canal cruise tour for us to while away some time. Excellently excuted. The concierge also managed to secure booking at a 2-michelin star restaurant (Ron Blaaw, also highly recommended) for us. Their recommendation of restaurant is even better then Frommer's. For example, for Rijtafel meal, Frommer's recommended Sama Sebo, not only the place is over crowded, the food is stale and overcooked (suspect they serve over night food re-microwaved many times). The concierge recommended Long Pura instead, which serves fresh food and well spiced Indonesian cuisine.
3) Quiet surrounding at night is a plus, compared to the rowdy old town area with red light district around.
4) Excellent Restaurant 238 serves high quality (but not quantity) breakfast. The chef even made panakuken for us!

Some minus points one need to consider are:
1) Rooms size are small, the toilets are also small for a double room. Most 5-star hotels' rooms are at least 50sm, but this one probably 35 to 40sm only
2) Need to pay extra EUR50 for canal view, which I think is unnecessary. We stayed in a room with courtyard view, and the view was beautiful.
3) Free wifi is only available for 30 min (continuous) every 2 days. The paid rates are very high and prohibitive. I hope the hotel can be more generous, given that the rates are one of the highest in Amsterdam.
Overall i recommend this hotel as the high standard of service compensates for the negatives, and I'll definitely return to this place my next trip to Amsterdam!

Room Tip: Don't pay EUR50 for the rooms with view as it is not necessary.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

What a lovely review! Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences with us on TripAadvisor. The location of Hotel Pulitzer is indeed ideal. Bang in the heart of the city center, with all seeings within walking distance, but still in a quiet and charming environment. Anne Frank is just a few 100 meters away for the main entrance of the Hotel and the Jordaan neighbourhood is very inviting for a stroll in the evening. Please be informed that I have passed on your compliments to the Concierge, who was delighted to hear they could assist you. We just started with the Concierge Tours. In these tours, our Head Concierge Ron will show you the real Amsterdam, and shares a lot of history and factsalong the way. He will not take you to the main attractions, but tempts to show you Amsterdam as the locals see it. It is definately something I can recommend. I hope we may welcome you again in Hotel Pulitzer.

Belleville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Hotel Pulitzer is a perfect location to visit Amsterdam. The hotel is 25 townhouses between 2 beautiful canals. Anne Frank House is right at the corner. Jordaan and Dam Square are both walk distance. Hotel Pulitzer has a canal cruise, but only takes 10 passages, departure each evening. We could not get on when we arrive to the hotel. Lovers museum line canal cruise has a stop right in front of Hotel Pulitzer. It is very convenience to take it to visit Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh Museum. It costs 16 Euro. It is better to buy Van Gogh Museum ticket when you buy the canal cruise ticket because the line is very long at Van Gogh Museum. Each room at Hotel Pulitzer is different. Our room is small, but it is elegant. If you go to bed early, it is better to stay at a room without canal view, at least, not on the ground floor. Cars, bicycles and people pass by all night long until midnight.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful commentsand ratings on TripAdvisor. I am sorry to read you were unable to take the Canal Tour in our boat 'The Tourist'. It is certainly an unique way to explore the city of Amsterdam. Recommendable is definately to purchase tickets for museums etc. in advance at the Concierge Desk, to avoid large queues. I hope we may welcome you back in hthe near future.

Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012 via mobile

I almost don't want to share this "jewel" of a hotel but other Trip Advisor contributors have been so generous I feel obligated. The Pulitzer made our first visit to Amsterdam "outstanding". I cannot wait to return. While a little larger than most "boutique" hotels, the staff at The Pulitzer went out of their way to make you feel welcome. As an American it is frustrating to travel in the States knowing the service you receive is often based on large tips. Not so at The Pulitzer. From the doorman, to bellman, front desk staff, concierge, and staff walking in the hallway ...all were friendly and genuine. The history of the building is quite interesting made up of 25 former homes. However, the building and grounds feel quite intimate. Rooms were simple but felt luxurious. We did not pay for an upgrade to a canal view and were very happy with our small cozy room. And SPOTLESS, as I write this from a less than desirable room in Umea, Sweden (no need to come here) Don't miss the art work scattered throughout the buildings including sculptures in the garden. We did not eat in the restaurant because the location allowed us to choose from numerous neighborhood restaurants. Two blocks from Anne Frank House (another amazing experience) and an easy walk to all major sites. And interestingly enough the staff provided easy directions using affordable public transportation agreeing that " yes, cabs were quite a bit more expensive" . Did I say how much I liked The Pulitzer?

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your lovely words! I am happy you decided to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor. It is such a pleasure to read your comments on Hotel Pulitzer and to read that our Ambassadors did their utmost to make you feel at home.
The art in our gallery changes every three months, giving the hotel an entire different look. I hope that your comments have inspired other people to come in an experience Hotel Pulitzer like you did. I hope we may welcome you again in our hotel, when your travels take you to Amsterdam.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012 via mobile

I have been to this hotel 8 times I will never stay at another hotel besides this one! It is first class hotel! The suites are big with nice marble bathrooms and big comfortable beds. The ameditities are all blvagri brand. The breakfast is great in the hotel everything is fresh and they have a nice selection. There is beautiful art for sale they have displayed in the hallways. The staff are bery friendly and are very professional! I love Room 475 it is a 2 bedroom suite over looking the street and canal. They also have the best waffle cookies. Had a lot of good memories at this hotel and hopefully be there again in November! I recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed November 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments and your loyalty to Hotel Pulitzer. I am delighted to read you have found your home away from home in our hotel. It is always lovely to have you in the hotel, especially as you are so loyal. The amenities in the Suites are lovely indeed. We will do our utmost to provide you with room # 475 again.
I hope to personally meet you in November!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Just stayed here for the weekend. Excellent location and the staff are very helpful and accommodating. We were initially offered a room on the ground floor which, to be honest, was n't ideal situated as it was next to the bar. Asked to change which was no trouble at all as was given a superb room on the 5 floor. Hotel is in a superb location and a very interesting building in itself. Only thing that really bugged me was having already paid £250 for a room wifi was €10 an hour! It was cheaper to roam on O2 Euro tarif (£1.50 a day).
In summary a good hotel, great location, interesting building, great staff.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments about Hotel Pulitzer on TripAdvisor. I am very happy to read that our Ambassadors were able to provide you a room to your likings and I am glad that you shared your concerns with us, so we could show you another room. The internet charges are a policy set by our headquarters, unfortunately we cannot change this on property level. We do provide free access to the internet in our lobby and also in the room, 30 minutes free internet can be accessed. I hope we may welcome you in the near future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

As a collection of old homes, this hotel provided us with a truly unique experience - the room was beautiful with a view of beautiful courtyards. Arriving early in the morning after a trans-Atlantic flight, the staff took care of our luggage and set us up on a morning canal tour in their private boat.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind words on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read you enjoyed the hotel and the room overlooking the Courtyard. The boat tour is indeed an uniqueway to explore Amsterdam. The captain can inform you on the history of the city and fun facts too. I am sorry that we were not able to provide you with a room early in the morning. Our check-in time is 3PM, however, we do our utmost to provide you with a room whenever you check-in earlier that day. I hope we may welcome you again in Hotel Pulitzer, when your travels take you to Amsterdam.

Alex van Gastel

Been to Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!