“Loved the Pulitzer Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315-331, Amsterdam 1016 GZ, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #43 of 340 hotels in Amsterdam
Arizona
“Loved the Pulitzer Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

We traveled to Amsterdam for two days in the middle of our 8 day stay in the Netherlands and found the Hotel Pulitzer a nice retreat. The room was very clean, wooden floors, pleasantly large for a European hotel, high ceilings, and large windows for sunlight. The king size bed was very comfortable with crisp linen sheets and a plush comforter. The bathroom was very clean and we enjoyed the deep tub. Our room was on the 2nd floor, near the front of the hotel on Prinsengracht. Although we didn't get an upgrade to the canal view, we were extremely happy with our location as it was very quiet. As SPG Gold members, we enjoyed wireless internet too.The rooms also had robes and slippers for use.

Much of Amsterdam is within walking distance of this location. You can catch the tram down at the end of the street if you prefer. We walked throughout much of the area, to Dam Square and beyond. Anne Franks House is about 5-10 minute walk down Prinsengracht. We enjoyed a nice pizza across the street (canal) on the corner, very pleasant atmosphere where we met family who live near Amsterdam. The next evening we went to Cafe Rest 'T Zwaantje, just down Prinsengracht and left on Berenstraat. Very cozy atmosphere with nice selection of Dutch comfort foods. On the same street, Berenstraat, you can also find Pancakes! Amsterdam, a small, quaint restaurant where we enjoyed breakfast. Though we were too early the first morning, they open at 10am. We also took the Canal Boat ride offered by the Hotel Pulitzer, a nice 75 minute canal tour which departs and returns directly in front of the hotel.

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Streets are small and parking is limited so we used valet parking.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your extensive comments on Tripadvisor. I am very proud reading that you enjoyed our hotel and was treated friendly by our ambassadors. The boat 'The Tourist' is indeed a lovely way to explore Amsterdam in a unique way. In this actual vessel, Winston Churchill made a tour through Amsterdam in 1946. On behalf of the entire team of Hotel Pulitzer, I hope we may welcome you again in our hotel.

1,631 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Rugby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Just returned from a business trip to Amsterdam. Hotel good in every respect that I needed, clean, good condition, good food, good service level. Topped-off by reception staff noticing that my Birthday was during my stay and organising a birthday cake for me. Most impressed.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Happy belated birthday! I hope that you thoroughly enjoyed your birthday and I am delighted that the cake was to your likings. Thank you very much for your wonderful words on our hotel and on behalf of the entire team of Hotel Pulitzer I look forward welcoming you back when your travels take you back to Amsterda min the near future.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

Review of our 5 night stay in April 2012:
- location: 10 min tram ride from Central Station; get off at the big church, and cross the street (having your back towards the church) and the hotel will be 50 m down with several flags sticking out
- loved that it was close enough to activities, but far to allow it to be quiet
- rooms: clean, modern, I wanted to put the wing chair and side table in my luggage!
- bed: to die for; extremely comfortable, and amazing bedsheets - I still dream about them!
- gym: top of the line
- best rooms: depends what suits you; canal view and garden view are beautiful; we stayed facing the ... square thing with a couple of shrubs (not the real garden), but it was okay with us because we were out all day.
- staff: 12 out of 10 - they go above and beyond, and I love their sense of humour!
- other: had the most wicked booth in front of the hotel for Queen's Day - loved it!

We will DEFINITELY stay here in the future - can't wait to return!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to rate and comment on TripAdvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay in Hotel Pulitzer and I am happy to read you encountered all the important valued Hotel Pulitzer strives to give all guests. Our ambassadors were more than happy to assist you with any preferences and we hope to welcome you again in the near future.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

First, what the hotel is not. It is not a "grand" hotel with carpeted lobby, huge vases of flowers, gleaming brass and highly polished wood. It shows some wear -- patchy areas on rugs in the corridors, chips in the wood, that kind of thing. But its ambience is perfect for this city. It is made up of rows of renovated old canal houses, and it feels quite a part of Amsterdam. It is a unique space with beautifully planted outdoor areas, an art gallery that you walk through each morning to a substantial buffet breakfast (included in the price of an executive room), outdoor areas with sculpture in which to drink a cup of espresso and read the paper. Public and private spaces are very clean, something that is very important to me. We stayed one night, left some luggage while we traveled outside the city, then returned for another few nights. On the first night we had a duplex canal view room. I agree with other reviewers that this room should be avoided. The sitting area was small and dim; the bed was upstairs, the stairs were narrow and steep and the bathroom was downstairs. Not a comfortable arrangement. For our return, we requested an executive canal view room, not a duplex. This room was bright (three tall windows let in a great deal of light), had wooden floors which was fine with us, was a bit spare but basically provided everything we needed, including comfortable robes and slippers. The bathroom was small but well-appointed and spotlessly clean. The bed was comfortable, with crisp cotton sheets and a light comforter. Above all, the service was wonderful. The staff is mostly young with some more senior people, and all are friendly, unstuffy, extremely helpful and quick to respond to any requests. They make a guest feel very welcome. We were checked in and out quickly, had cabs when we needed them, were secured reservations when we wanted them. All the advice we received was good. I would have liked to have had two concierges on duty, as there was often a wait to speak to the one available. But once you got to them, you were given the time and attention you needed. The location is great -- we walked to the museums, restaurants, shops, even further afield to Central Station and other areas of the city. We enjoyed our stay, and would recommend this hotel to others visiting Amsterdam.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is highly appreciated. As all rooms in Hotel Pulitzer are unique, some rooms will have your preferences above others. Naturally, we strive to provide all our guests with the room of their preferences. Please do not hesitate to contact the Front Desk when your room is not entirely to your likings and we will do our utmost to provide you with another room. I am delighted to read our ambassadors were able to assist you with your queries and I hope we may welcome you again in our unique hotel.

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

My wife & I recently stayed 4 nights in the Pulitzer in rooms 525 and 527 (more on that later). The hotel is a beautiful group of canal houses that were combined in an elegant manner. The common areas are all 5 star. The restaurant (we had breakfast there all 4 days) and bar are as good as you would expect. The staff were all VERY friendly and helpful (being a New Yorker, this made me a little nervous). Our first room (525) was small but nice overlooking a nondescript courtyard. The room was warm & muggy when we arrived so I cranked up the air conditioning. It was still warm later when we went to bed. I tried opening the window but that made it worse. My wife & I sweated restlessly through the night. I told the front desk about this in the morning. They checked the room and said the AC was not working and we could move to nearby room 527. BUT first I had to pack up, call the front desk and wait for a porter to move my luggage from room to room. The door to room 527 is four feet from the door to room 525! It would have been so much easier just to pick up my stuff and toss it from room to room. Now I was hot & angry as I packed my luggage so I could call a porter (and tip him?) to move us five feet from room to room. My wife told me to calm down and go talk to the front desk again. They gave me the key to room 527. We moved ourselves in 10 minutes. Room 527 was the same as 525 but much cooler. Then I asked for compensation for the hot night & frustration of packing my clothes for no reason. They apologized profusely and gave me & my wife free breakfasts (not bad at 29EU per person). So three great nights and one not so great.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful words on Hotel Pulitzer. I am sorry to read your airconditioner was not working in your room. Please be informed that we just finished a big project, where we checked all the airconditioners in the rooms, to ensure all of them are working. We double checked the one in room 525. With regards to your room move, we would like to assist you in any we can, so we automatically offered you the option to contact one of our porters to carry your luggage to 527. Some people find this very handy, other people prefer to carry the luggage themselves. I am delighted to read room 527 had a good temperature and was to your likings.
On behalf of the entire team at Hotel Pulitzer, I hope we may welcome you again in our indigenous hotel.

uk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

i arrived their with my wife and another couple the hotel was attrocious and should be closed down the room was like a dungeon
we left and booked into another hotel
i am surprised starwood even feature them
i am still waiting for a refund we did not even stay for 1 night they want to charge for all 3 !

Room Tip: do not book if its your first visit to amsterdam
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to rate and comment on TripAdvisor. As we strive to improve our services and facilities, your feedback and comments are highly important to us.

I am sorry to read the hotel was not to your likings. Thank you very much for the personal contact we have had so far and I trust we understand eachother’s viewpoints with regards to the cancellation policy. Please be informed that it was never our intention to charge you the full stay of three nights. Your business is important to us and therefore I regret that we were not able to provide you with an exception and indigenous experience this time. We truly hope we will still have the chance to create a perfect experience for you in the near future.

Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

I have traveled to Amsterdam many times for business and usually stayed in a large hotel in the heart of the city. I decided to change it up and chose the Pulitzer instead. I was not disappointed! I loved the service, authentic architecture and location of the hotel. An easy walk to the city center, it's located on a canal (they even have a boat if you'd like to sightsee). My room was beautifully decorated - modern but not hotel "sterile" - with french doors opening onto the canal. Not all the rooms face the canal but your room can be upgraded to include one, if available. There are unique shops in this area so be sure to stop there on your way into the city centre. The bar wasn't renovated when I was there (has had a recent makeover since) but my colleague and I spent many a night hanging out there after hours. The Pulitzer is charming and offers a full service concierge, gym, room service, wifi, art gallery, restaurants, meeting rooms and bar. You can even bring your pet! I don't believe they have airport transfer but will help you arrange it. This is a Starwood Luxury property so if you are a points member, this hotel can't be beat. I love it there and would recommend it to anyone looking for a hideaway hotel with luxury ambience and amenities to spare.

Room Tip: Ask for a canal view. It's an upgrade but definitely worth it!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you kindly for your lovely comments about Hotel Pulitzer. I am delighted to read that your memories of our hotel are positive and memorable. Indeed, our bar has been renovated in the beginning of this year and is certainly a nice spot in the hotel to spend quality time with friends and family in the evening. I hope we may welcome you again to Hotel Pulitzer, may your travels take you to Amsterdam.

Alex van Gastel

Been to Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!