“Great Property, Great Staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam

You added Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315 - 331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel) (Canal Ring (Grachtengordel))   |
Ranked #50 of 355 Hotels in Amsterdam
San Diego
“Great Property, Great Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

I recently stayed at this property and could not have had a better experience. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and located about a 15 minute walk (or 5 minute tram) from the main bus station. The platinum recognition here is as good as it is in any hotel in the Starwood family. Though clearly a luxury hotel, it comes without the pretentiousness you might associate with an upscale property. The staff was really great helping me learn about the property, get anything I needed and helping me around the town.

The only thing I could say negative, which is really nitpicking, is that once housekeeping was loud outside my room for like a minute. It didn't disturb me, but I could see how it could if you were trying to sleep in. Could have been a function of the proximity of my room and the housekeeping room.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review! As we constantly strive to improve our services, your feedback is highly appreciated. I am delighted to read your stay has been up to your satisfaction and that you were happy with the SPG Platinum recognition.
I would also like to thank you for your valuable comment on the Room Attendants talking outside your room, please be informed that I have shared your comments with the Housekeeping Department, to prevent any similar situation from happening in the future. I do hope that depsite this unfortunate experience, we may welcome you again in Hotel Pulitzer.

Alex van Gastel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

Loved the location, a block away from the Anne Frank House and all major monuments and squares. Amsterdam is truly a beautiful city and the hotel is very quaint and has lots of character. Service was good and food options were optimal. However, after our first night's stay I had at least 10 mosquito bites on my upper body, including my face, not good. My husband was attacked fiercely by the mosquitoes and his arms were badly bitten. We complained to the concierge who said they would spray something in the room but that never happened and the mosquitoes kept biting us until we managed to kill them all ourselves. They were so big there were little blood splatters on the wall whenever we got one. They need to get this issue under control, if this happens in cold weather I can't even imagine how bad it gets in the summer sitting right next to a canal.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor. I am sorry to read you were attacked by the mosquitoes during your stay. As we are situated between two canals, mosquitoes are a common problem in Amsterdam in general, however we have never experienced situations a badly as yours. Please accept my sincere apologies for not following up on your complaints more adequately. I hope that despite this unfortunate experience we may welcome you again in Hotel Pulitzer.

Long Island City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

This hotel was recommended by a friend. The location is great. The staff is kind,helpful, and professional. The rooms are very comfortable, not over the top but nice. my only suggestion is that you may want to request a room facing the garden instead of the canal...It was a bit noisy (at times )in the middle of the night with happy people coming home from a night on the town. That being said it wasn't terrible and we were in Amsterdam:)
Oh, and it was cold in the middle of April (I'm solar powered:)

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a reviw on TripAdvisor about your recent with us. I am happy to read the room was to your satisfaction, a part from the happy people passing by. The rooms facing the garden can indeed me less noisy, however the Canal Views are beautiful. I hope we may welcome you again in Hotel Pulitzer.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

Lovely couples stay in a loft suite. Great location, architecture and atmosphere. Art gallery corridors and nested interior patios. Super concierge and evening bar menu. Lovely stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your rates and comments on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read you enjoyed our Art Gallery, which changes scenery every three months. Please be informed that we have shared your compliments to the Concierge. I hope we may welcome you again in Hotel Pulitzer in the near future.

Alexandria, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

My husband, John, and I have traveled all over the world, and the Hotel Pulitzer is one of our favorite two hotels in the world!!! The ambiance is fabulous! The local is perfect, being located between two canals.! The staff can not be topped! Just to name a few VERY staff members, Wahjii a long time bartender, and his assistant bar tender, Turgay, Marleen, at the front desk and Ron Stoevelaar, one of the concierges, are all very special!!! The rooms are also very charming and comfortable! I can't say enough positive about Hotel Pulitzer!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the canal
Dear Valued Guest,

Wow, what a review! Thank you very much for your wonderful words! Please be informed that we shared your compliments with our ambassadors, who were delighted to assist you with all your preferences and needs.
On behalf of the entire team, I hope that we may welcome you again in our hotel.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for a mini-break and we just loved this hotel. The room was extremely comfortable and the bathroom just a pleasure to be in. The breakfast is one of the best I have ever enjoyed in a top hotel and the staff were always welcoming and attentive. We will have no hesitation in choosing to stay here again.

Stayed April 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your wonderful words on TripAdvisor. Please be informed that we have shared your compliments about the breakfast buffet with our Food and Beverage Department. I am happy our ambassadors were of good assistance to you and made you feel welcome in our home. I truly hope that we may welcome you again in Hotel Pulitzer.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

Awesome hotel- feels like a boutique hotel even though it is part of SPG. The location is perfect- central to every tourist destination but not on a busy street. I was so happy with the location because I could walk everywhere I wanted in less than 10 minutes. I searched and searched for a great hotel in Amsterdam, because during my last two visits I chose hotels with terrible rooms (for high prices) and with unfriendly staff. I feel so lucky to have come across the Pulitzer. All of the staff and concierge were eager to assist and to offer recommendations. I was actually surprised by how friendly people were, especially given my last experience in Amsterdam. The rooms were also a nice surprise, perfectly decorated, not overdone, with a feel of being in an classic canal house. I strongly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest,

What a lovely review! I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and that we were able to exceed your expectations and provide you with a home away from home in Amsterdam. It was our pleasure welcoming you in our hotel and I truly hope we may do so again in the near future.