“REALLY FRIENDLY and COZY. LOVED THE BEDS !!! GREAT LOCATION !!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel

You added Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315-331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Offers & Announcements
Save €75 on select meals
Ranked #45 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Tehachapi, California
“REALLY FRIENDLY and COZY. LOVED THE BEDS !!! GREAT LOCATION !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

Okay weird layout - the hotel is made of many houses put together to form a hotel . We were put up in a part of the hotel that used to be someones large attic and it had been made into a very large room with a pretty tiled large bathroom and large windows that actually opened and let in fresh air. LOVED IT !! The beds were HEAVENLY and we always fell strait to sleep. It felt like we were in our own apt. GREAT LOCATION!!! We were close to everything. The gardens were lovely at the hotel and we actually spent time in the evening relaxing there. Nice bar area and they have a lot of art on the walls. The staff was funny and really helpful. I would stay there in a heartbeat. It was a nice place that makes me smile when I think of it. ( or maybe it's because I was soo stoned ) any ways I loved the place.

Room Tip: Each room is different . Its a roll of the dice.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

How wonderful that you have had a great stay with us. A good night rest is very important therefore it is great to hear that you found the beds heavenly. One of our goal is to make every guest feel at home and we are pleased that we have succeeded. Each room is indeed different however you can always request a preferred room in the reservation and we will do our best to accommodate you. We would like to welcome you back in the future.

Alex van Gastel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

We arrived at the hotel approximately 10am. As we figured (arriving so early), our room wasn't available but we were allowed to check in and leave our luggage with the porter allowing us to explore the city centre until later in the afternoon. As it was, we went back around 2pm and the room was ready.

The room was nice, clean and light with a large flat-screen TV, minibar, fan, bottle of water and stroopwaffles. It wasn't a large room but we wouldn't be spending that much time in it anyway. The bathroom was clean and the bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in!

We were on the 3rd floor and as we didn't pay extra for a canal view, had a view of one of the covered walkways - we weren't that bothered really! Hotel bar is stylish and the staff were very nice and remembered out orders even when we'd left the bar for a few hours!

Here's the but.....at the time of writing, the hotel was in the process of taking £275 from my partner's account. We did not use the minibar or phone and the city tax was paid (with the same card but a separate transaction). Although we were aware that a card number is required in case you do use any services, at no point we were informed that money would be removed from an account - we had paid for the hotel room previously some months ago. At the moment, depending on how the hotel deal with this situation, they could go down in my estimation - it seems like this has happened to a number of people!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

How unfortunate that you have now a double feeling regarding our hotel. First I would like to thank you for your review and we do are happy that you have enjoyed the bed and the efforts made by our associates at check in and the bar. Secondly we are sorry that we have disappoint you regarding the payment. We are required to take an authorization at check in for incidentals. Nevertheless this is not an charge but an hold which will be automatically released at check out. My apology for the inconvenience and if you require any assistance with this please don’t hesitate to contact me. Despite this experience we do hope that you will visit us again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

I stayed at the Pulitzer in late May after considering a few others for my first ever trip to Asmterdam and I'm really glad I chose it. When selecting I found the prices in Amsterdam fairly steep for basic looking hotels so even paying a bit more for this one, it seemed good value comparatively.

The warmth of the welcome on check in charmed me, it was efficient and friendly, and set the tone for the rest of the stay.

I'd read that the hotel comprised 24 or 25 traditional tall Amsterdam houses which had been fully renovated. I wondered how they had managed to acquire so many houses in one long row, but I realised that they cleverly bought an entire block, with courtyards inside, and so the rooms faced two of the famous canals. I paid extra for a canal view and my room faced onto the Keizersgracht, rather than the Prinsengracht where the front of the hotel is.

I had a perfect traditional view of the quiet street and canal, with a little bridge, interesting tall houses opposite, and leafy green trees just outside my 2nd floor window.

The windows were tall and thin, like the building, and the central one was a pair of glass doors which opened fully to let the breeze in and enhance the view - a rare treat these days.

The route from lobby to room was a bit of a maze, due the the fact that they have retained a lot of the buildings' original internal structures. It was no problem though and I enjoyed the route along the glass walkway through the courtyards, which looked really inviting and I would have enjoyed sitting out there if the weather had been better.

The room itself was not huge, but adequate, and felt roomy due to the high ceiling height. Nice furnishings. The bathroom was very small, with a shower, no bath. It was nice enough, and the toiletries, replaced fully each day, were very good.

I didn't use many of the hotel facilities, but the main bar has a dark, clubby feel, and was perfect for excellent cocktails before venturing out for the evening and for a nightcap later. They had a great range of malt whiskies.

There is a water bus stop right outside the front door which was very convenient. The hotel is within walking distance of most of the city centre and there are bus and tram stops very close by.

Service was excellent wherever encountered, from the bar staff, concierge and check in.

I left behind an article of clothing, and the housekeeper responded to my email immediately and has since forwarded the article to me - most helpful.

The only slight criticism I have is of the bed. It was large enough, and the linen was spotlessly clean, but the pillows were tired and flat, and I felt both they and the mattress could do with replacing.

I take it back - another criticism was the lack of free wifi in one of the top rooms. It seems a bit grasping to charge almost 20 euro a day for this.

It didn't spoil the stay though. Overall it was excellent and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: pay the extra for the canal view
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your detailed review here on Tripadvisor which will help other travelers. We are happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you were satisfied with the choice yourself. We do our best to provide our guests with the best service and indigenous experience. Thank you for your suggestions, we will take them into consideration. We are proud that you would like to return and we are looking forward to welcome you back in the future.

Amersfoort, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

Although a resident of the country, I had to stay in Amsterdam overnight. Fed up with the standard international hotel chains, I decided to stay in the Pulitzer hotel.

Good location on the canals. Great hotel with charm. Essentially a block of canalhouses tied together to an hotel. Nice staff. Good breakfast.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

We are honored that a resident of the country has visit our Hotel. Hotel Pulitzer is nothing like a standard hotel which creates for our guests an indigenous experience. We are happy that you have enjoyed the charm of the hotel, associates and our breakfast. My team and I would like to welcome you back in our hotel or restaurant. Especially in the summer we advise our guests to enjoy our beautiful gardens.

Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

We are completing a 3 week tour of Europe and this is the best hotel we have stayed in so far. Excellent location, modern, spacious quiet rooms. Very friendly and helpful staff. Only problem was spotty WIFI reception within the room probably due to the bulding structure. Definitely recommend!

• Stayed June 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

We are proud to read that you find our hotel the best you have stayed in during your three week tour. How great that you have done a tour through Europe. Europe has so many inspiring cities like Amsterdam. Hopefully you had enough time to do the things which you had planned. Thank you for your review and we are looking forward to welcome you back in the future.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

When our taxi arrived, the porters watched as we unloaded our cases and wheeled them into the hotel. No offer to help, but I would have hated to disturb their conversation. Our room was a dream for anyone who loves to see bare brick walls. A lot of the plaster was stripped away to show the 18th century brick work. The view was of an external smoking area and a deep light well with a single plant tub at the bottom. The Bose bedside radio was partly off the small bedside tables and the room was so small that when the two porters arrived to deliver our two cases and a single hand luggage (why two?) my partner had to go into the bathroom to make room for them! They left the luggage on the floor rather than on the luggage rest (which as there were two of them didn't leave much space to erect the same).
When we were leaving we needed to return to our cases left with the porter. We were left alone with them behind a locked door to do as we pleased in private; we noticed at least a dozen other cases also left with us. Luckily we're not case- crackers!
The boat trip on 'Tourist' cost about £40pp for 65m, but it is stylish and the guide is very personable.
To get to our room you had to go outside (roof level) again after entering the hotel- this meant that you could escape the rain at reception but get wet by the room- no one thought to provide umbrellas for that part of the trip to the room! We got a very special offer price of £270per night for a double room (small double bed). The room was quite hot and we had difficulty cooling it down.
Otherwise apart from these gripes, we found this was a full service hotel with everything you'd expect of a four star hotel. This was meant to be a 5 star. It is one of the "1000 Things to do Before You Die"- but I'm really not sure why.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

We are very sorry to read that we have not lived up to your expectations. I would like to emphasize that we have shared your review with the management team to take the appropriate actions. Hotel Pulitzer consists of 25 canalhouses from 17th to 19th century where no room is the same. The canal houses are linked with each other by hallways and stairs. We do are pleased to read that you have enjoyed the boattrip. We do hope that you will give us another chance when you are back in Amsterdam. We would like to welcome you back in the future. If there is anything else we can assist you with please don't hesitate to contact us directly.

Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011 via mobile

Had a great stay at the Hotel Pulitzer. The staff was terrific, the location could not be better (one block from the Anne Frank House), and we loved the breakfast. Like most Euroean hotels, our room was on the small side, but we loved the canal view! We would definitely stay again!

• Stayed June 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the time taking to post a review. We are proud to read that you have had a great stay with us and that you would recommend our hotel to other travelers. On behalf my team and myself we would like to welcome you back in the future.

Alex van Gastel

Been to Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!