“Hotel Pulitzer - feels like home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam

You added Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 315 - 331, 1016 GZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Hotel Pulitzer, a Luxury Collection Hotel)   |
Ranked #49 of 354 Hotels in Amsterdam
Oakland, California
“Hotel Pulitzer - feels like home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

Any traveler tired of the rectangular boxy rooms and instead wants to stay in unique, individualized, one of a kind rooms but with all the amenities of a luxury hotel, then the Hotel Pulitzer would be a great choice.

We had a suite for the three of us, my teenagers are the ones who said this felt like rooms in a house instead of a hotel. And in fact, because the Hotel Pulitzer is comprised of a block of row houses, that perception turns out to be based on fact.

The fact that the hotel straddles two major canals, is in the middle of the "Nine Streets" area, a three minute walk to the Anne Frank House, a stone's throw to the Jordaan, an easy ten to twenty minute walk to many of the other landmark museums (van Gogh, Riekjsmueum) and other attractions (floating flower market, Dam Square, etc.), and Trams 13 and 17 stop a half block away, makes this quiet, unique, luxury hotel my favorite stop not just in Amsterdam, but across most of the major European and Asian capitals where my travels have taken me.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, May 24, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Wow, what a great review. We are so proud to read that you and your teenagers felt that the rooms are in a house instead of a hotel. This is the feeling which we strive for every day for our guests and it is great to read that we have succeeded during your stay. The hotel consist of 25 restored 17th and 18th century canal houses converted into a luxury hotel in Amsterdam. It is a great motivation for all of us to read that our hotel is your favorite stop. Hope to see you soon with us.

Alex van Gastel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

I'll admit it, Amsterdam is not one of my favourite cities. The main areas are overrun with tourists and drunken Brits on hen and stag nights. Thousands of bicyclists make walking a nerve-wracking endeavour- it's like dodging bees. However, on the occasions I find myself there I make it a point to dull the pain by staying at the Hotel Pulitzer.

Located SW of the city centre alongside a quiet canal, the Hotel Pulitzer is in a perfect spot for exploring the more charming parts of Amsterdam. The staff are helpful, courteous and professional- even when they are being swamped by guests checking in/out.

I have stayed in several different room types and they have all been well appointed and comfortable. The canal-view rooms are the most desirable but they do get traffic noise. On my last visit I was in an attic room that was quiet but didn't have a great view.

The interior of the Pulitzer could probably do for a makeover- the halls and stairs are getting a bit warn but the common areas- reception, lounge, gardens and breakfast room are in better nick.

I am especially fond of the bar. It has two large rooms with tall windows overlooking a canal. It is comfortable, the service is not intrusive and there is no blaring music. A very nice place to relax.

The breakfast is good but expensive. There are many small cafes in the area and I would recommend trying them first. They added an espresso bar since my last visit and it's a nice touch.

As with most European hotels, the wi-fi is slow and expensive (€19 for 24 hours) so avoid it if you can. The gym is small but functional.

If you are not dragging along too much luggage, you can easily walk from the central station- it takes about 15-20 minutes. Dutch taxis are some of the most expensive in Europe and the ones the hotel calls seem to be even pricier. Best to go to a taxi rank or take a tram.

The areas directly west and south of the hotel are filled with great little shops and restaurants. Walking north-east lands you amongst the horrid dives and clip-joints that make up central Amsterdam- avoid at all costs!

Tip: around the corner from the Pulitzer is one of the best Italian restaurants I have ever been to- Bussia. Charming, great food, great service and a lovely building.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

We are pleased to hear that you choose our hotel to get away from the crowds and to relax. A place to relax is so important especially when traveling or when having a busy day with lots of meetings. The espresso bar is indeed quite new and perfect to sit in our garden to enjoy the beautiful (hopefully) weather or to relax inside and order a nice cup of coffee. If you have some problems with the internet please don’t hesitate to call our guest services as we can sent someone to your room to assist you. We have different room types and each have their own charm. The canal rooms have a great view where you can experience Amsterdam but they can be a bit noisier than an inside room. We also have a great concierge desk who can provide the best recommendations in regards to transportation, restaurants, entertainment and much more. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

I agree with many other reviews that this hotel is in a pretty good location with nicely decorated rooms, historic charm, and I found the room and bathroom to be clean. As with many historic hotels, it does tend to be noisy - almost anything going on in the hallway is easily heard in the rooms - and the hardwood floors within the rooms don't help with that either. If you have a room facing the street, good luck. Though I had a good experience, I know others I was travelling with did not. While the staff was friendly and accomodations were nice, I was surprised to find this is a 5 star hotel. There was nothing extraordinary about it... 4 is more realistic.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to read that you find that five stars for this hotel is not realistic. As we are constantly trying to maintain and improve our product and service, your comments are highly appreciated. We would appreciate if you can contact us directly about your expectations and a more detailed feedback from you or the fellow travelers.
Next to this we are pleased to read that you have enjoyed the location and the decorated clean rooms. We do hope that despite this experience you will give us another chance to show you that we are five star worthy. We are looking forward to welcome you back.

Cary, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

You can't beat the location- down the street from Anne Frank House, surrounded by outdoor cafes, nice dining, and unique shopping. We even walked 15 minutes to the museum district! Our rooms were extremely clean and comfortable. The staff was very helpful as we drove up in a large van with 6 of us and our luggage. The doorman immediately helped us by finding a parking spot for our van - not an easy thing to do on narrow canal streets. Then they helped us find a place to return the van and find great places to go for dinner. Very charming rooms that looked out onto the canals. Couldn't beat this hotel and would am looking forward to coming back again because we loved Amsterdam. Everyone was very friendly.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
AlexanderVanGastel, General Manager at Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, responded to this review, May 12, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

We are pleased to read that we were able to experience our beautiful city of Amsterdam. Amsterdam has so much to offer to our guests. Parking and driving with a van in the city center is indeed not very easy and I am pleased that we could assist you. It is great to hear that we have met your expectations and that you have enjoyed the room. We are looking forward to welcome you back in the future and to provide you with new suggestions to go to in Amsterdam.

Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

what a great hotel! the location was right in the middle of where you can walk to and from or catch the boat. the room was luxurious, the breakfast buffet had more than enough on there and the grounds just lovely!! the only complaint were with the concierge staff. they couldnt be bothered to give you the exact directions where you needed to go and in that city you need to know! make sure you pin them down to the exact location and give you landmakers to look for! they are also not great at giving you the low down on what to do either like buying tickets ahead of time for the Anne Frank house. and Yes i sent an email request ahead of time without a reply from them! they need all new staff on such an important desk! but our room made up for their lack of professionalism thats for sure!

Room Tip: be a starwood member!!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review as we appreciate your feedback very much. We are happy that you found our hotel and location fantastic. We strive to provide our guest the best service and we are sorry that we have failed you. I would like to emphasize that we have discuss your experience with the related department head to avoid this from happening again in the future. We are looking forward to welcome you back in the future and if there is anything else we can assist you with please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

I have been staying at the Pulitzer in Amsterdam for many years now and each time I go back it's always the same, beautful, comfortable, the staff is incredibly friendly and you cannot deny the location...just perfect. I have tried a few other hotels in the city on the odd occasion where they are fully booked however The Pulitzer is always my first choice.

If you are looking for an ultra modern, high tech place this is not for you. The pulitzer has old world charm, very depictive of Amsterdam's architecture and the comfort factor is beyond compare. The beds are wonderful, the best down comforters you can ask for and a feel like home atmosphere.

On my last trip - I was greeted with a beautiful bottole of champagne and my previous stay a nice complimentary bottle of wine. I also look forward to the "Stroop Waffles" on the dresser which I love.

They have a great buffet style breakfast, with many dutch favorites. I especially love the yogurt and cheeses as well as the scrambled eggs and mushrooms when I initially arrive and have a little bit of jet lag. Have ordered room service on several occasions and the food is very good.

The staff is absolutely incredible! Very friendly, always helpful and sincere. The consierge has also directed us to some very very good restaurants, never dissappointed with their suggestions.

Because this hotel is comprised of several buildings which have been connected together no two rooms are alike. I think that this adds to the charm of the hotel. You may get a wonderful 2 story loft style room or one facing the canal with exposed beams and wood mouldings. The bathrooms are beautiful although a little small.

If you are there in late April or early May take advantage of the center courtyard - tulips are in full bloom and it's just beautiful.

I don't have much to say which is negative however, if I have to point something out it would be the gym. It is small and the ceiling a little low...but other than that....I would continue to stay there as long as I go to Amsterdam.

For me, The Pulitzer is like coming home.....

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are the most charming.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Dear Loyal Guest,

“The Pulitzer is like coming home..” this is what we want to achieve and we are very proud that we have created this feeling. Next to this it is wonderful to hear that not only during one stay we have met your expectations but with each stay. This is very important to us. We have shared your lovely review with our associates to motivate them to keep up the good work. As we are a preserved Monument it is difficult to make changes in sizes of rooms like the fitness however we will keep your suggestion in mind for in the future. On behalf of all of us at Hotel Pulitzer it is an honor to welcome you back in the near future.

Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

Enjoyed our stay at the Pulitzer! Great location!

Especially appreciated weekly tips on Facebook from the Concierge for restaurants, sites to see, shopping, etc. We followed these tips for months prior to our stay, and was extermely helpful during our stay!

We also greatly enjoyed taking the canal tour on their boat --- The Tourist.

Room Tip: Definetly get a canal view room!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam? Share your experiences!