“You've got no excuse to miss this” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Willet-Holthuysen Museum

Willet-Holthuysen Museum
Herengracht 605, 1017 CE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)
+31 20 523 1870
Skip the Line: Amsterdam and Holland Pass
Ranked #45 of 247 Attractions in Amsterdam
Type: Historic Sites, Art Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors can tour this 17th-century canal-side house in Amsterdam, which is filled with furnished period rooms and works of art that were donated by the owner Louisa Willet-Holthuysen to the city in 1895.
Sluis, The Netherlands
12 attraction reviews
“You've got no excuse to miss this”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Browsing the tourist office website I came across a section called "Hidden museums along the canals". As I'm always in to do something less touristy and very fond of history this museum was a perfect match.

I visited with a friend during a very busy weekend, but the museum only had a handful of visitors when we were there. We definitely loved walking around the different rooms and the splendid garden without having other people there. It may sound a little selfish but being almost on your own in this museum sort of transports you back in time even more easy...and of course it's bliss not having to bend yourself in all sorts of directions to take a picture without having someone else in the shot.

The tour of the museum makes sense, starting "downstairs" and later going "upstairs". There is a good balance of providing period information as well as background information on the people who lived there. I think this is excellent, it makes the house come to life...instead of it being just a museum.

Not everything in the museum is authentic, some rooms are reconstructed using furniture from the same time period. I hadn't expected this, but didn't mind at all. There were information panels in several rooms announcing that the museum will change/restore certain things in the future and this really shows that the museum continuous to take care of its precious heritage.

My friend and I visited without the audio guide and found we received enough information with just the free leaflet and information panels inside the rooms. We spent about an hour inside the museum and thoroughly enjoyed our visit. If I would find myself in Amsterdam again, in a couple of years, I would certainly return to this charming museum to see what changes have been made and to once more sample the luxury of times past.

Well worth your time and money. If you are interested there's just no excuse to miss it.

• Turkish first
Walsall, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
“Beautiful!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Two minutes from the Rembrandt statue (in Rembrandtplein) this Herengracht canal house is a must see. "Free" with I AMsterdam card and well worth the visit. Took about 45 minutes to view the lovely rooms and gardens - learnt a lot about how the occupants lived. Like going back in time!!

Logan, Utah, United States
6 attraction reviews
“Nice place to visit if your in the area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I wouldn't go out of my way to visit this house. I did enjoy it and there were some interesting things to look at, most impressive to me was the garden. They are doing some ambitious restoration, so I expect that the house will get more impressive. If you are in the neighborhood, I would definitely recommend going, but I don't think it is worth going out of your way to see.

Visited June 2013
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Absolutely fantastic museum - a must-visit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We loved this museum! The entry fee is well worth it, as is the extra 2 euros for the audio guide - it gives tons of fascinating information about the house and gardens and isn't overly dry or boring. The only disappointment was that some parts of the house had been reconstructed and some pieces were not original, though we were told that the house was in the process of being renovated so in a few months it will be back to the way it should be. If you're at all interested in the canal houses of Amsterdam this is without question the best museum of its kind in the city.

Vernet-Les-Bains, France
5 attraction reviews
“A beautiful canal house”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

It costs €8 to go round this canal house which is a bit steep! We turned up near closing time so we were let in for half price. It only took about 30 minutes to look round but it was quite interesting. It is beautifully furnished and has a lovely garden.

Visited June 2013