“Relaxing few hours” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Leiden Square (Leidseplein)

Leiden Square (Leidseplein)
Main entrances: Leidsestraat | Weteringschans, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Improve this listing
Visit Leiden Square (Leidseplein) like an insider
Top Rated
$22*
and up
Amsterdam Hop-On Hop-Off Tour with Optional Canal...
Ranked #65 of 545 things to do in Amsterdam
Activities: Dining, Nightlife
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Planning a night out in Amsterdam? Head down to Leiden Square (Leidseplein,) which is known as the center of nightlife where you can choose from hundreds of bars, clubs, restaurants and discos that would suit every style and taste.
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
44 attraction reviews
“Relaxing few hours”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Spent a few hours in this area.
plenty to do and lots of shops,pubs and cafes.
the area is all lit up beautifully at night time and there was even an ice rink in the area where you could spend an hour falling over !!

• Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Guernsey, United Kingdom
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Loved this square a lot more than Dam square. It's full of chic little boutiques & massive labels.. One of my favourite places in Amsterdam.

Chennai (Madras), India
153 attraction reviews
“Great life in evenings !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

This place is full of energy and a great place to be in Friday/Saturday evenings. Lots of restaurants/bars and so lively that one can roam around for hours and hours ! The colourful ambience of lights all the way across canals and shops is so enthralling !! Every Friday evening shall be so fresh after a tiring week at work.... ! A true flavour of Amsterdam !!!

Sulaymaniyah, Iraq
74 attraction reviews
“Full of life”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

the square and the area around there is Full of life and you can find all kinds of cuisine in there's very crowded
near from Dam Square abut 15 Minute walk

Visited October 2013
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Square good- be carful of con men”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

The most disappointing part of our trip happened in the first coffee shop on the left past h and m (underground, pool tables through smoking part). I would strongly recommend taking extra care and being careful if in a small coffee shop late at night. Me and my boyfriend were dressed up to go out and were smoking. A man who seemed very out of it kept talking to us from across the room, commenting on our game of pool and offering to play my boyfriend, which he eventually awkwardly excepted. My gut instinct told me something was wrong and when I managed to grab my boyfriend away for a second I told him to be careful, and he told me the man had been offering him all sorts of drugs even when repeatedly told "no thank you". He also kept hugging and grabbing in a "friendly" way, looking for pockets no doubt. Luckily my boyfriend is street wise and not afraid to talk back, because half way through the game the man claimed "you owe me 100 euros if I win". He then kept switching the deal round to who owed who and confusing us. He then saw my boyfriend winning (which he hadn't expected since seeing him play purposely bad with me to let me win) and he got very angry. My boyfriend tried to be nice and laugh it off and told him no money was involved but when the game ended, the man came right up to our stuff and said "cash point now. At least 100 euro you owe me for this". We told him he had obviously saw us walk in and thought we had money and were generous (he had asked us for a cigarette as soon as we sat down and we gave him one and refused his euro in exchange for it) He then told us we were "lucky" when my boyfriend managed to get him to agree to leave it amicably. It was very strange, and we told the bar man who was starting to close up near by. He was very helpful and even offered to walk me out as I was worrying he might be waiting outside. It just made me think about young girls or less informed groups of lads traveling and how careful they need to be- my boyfriend is by no means slight, he is over 6Ft and works out, yet the guy still had the cheek to try it on. It ruined our last night as I was so paranoid about him following us home and my boyfriend was so pissed off about how rude he had been. By all means don't be scared to try out coffee shops- we went to several and this was the first glance of ANYTHING dodgey. But keep on guard if anyone tries to strike up a conversation and don't let on that you're drunk/smoking a lot as that's when people can take advantage.