“A bit of a disappointment. 20% of the content at 100% of the price.”
We pre-booked our e-entrance tickets to the Riyksmuseum online several days before our P&O minicruise to Amsterdam last week, having experienced the long lines of those without e-tickets to the full museum before, trailing lengthily into the street outside. We'd also anticipated the atrocious cold & rainy weather during our 5 hour sojourn in Amsterdam, hence the idea of being somewhere warm & dry & interesting for a few hours.
In practice, last Wednesday, there was no outrageous queue, so we needn't have bothered really. But it's still €14.00 each entry, pre-booked online or at the desk. One interesting thing to note is that the Rijksmuseum site states that no photography or videoing is allowed, but in practice it is, as around 50 teenage Dutch schoolkids arrived in the much truncated section which is open, shortly after us & spent 2 hours photographing every single object & painting for their school project & generally getting in the way of everybody else, shouting excitedly & running around flashing off pics with their iPhones at very close range, etc..
Take as many pictures as you want seems to be the new rule, so go with it.
The Rijksmuseum is currently undergoing refurbishment, (until 2013!) so 80% of the buildings & content is unavailable, so they've scrunched up the remaining 20% "best bits" into one small 2 storey building instead, including the "Nightwatch".
Now, as the standard entrance fee for the whole place in 2010 was €12.50 & would take one some 6 or 7 hours to trail around, at least, they now charge €14.00 for the privilege of viewing 20% of it, in a crowded environment rather than €2.80. Odd.
I could mention the fact that all the major museums & art galleries in London & elsewhere in the UK have FREE entrance for everyone, including foreign tourists, & house works of art & artefacts much more spectacular than anything in the Rijksmuseum, but that would be churlish, so I won't mention it.
If you think that paying €28.00 (£23.00) is a reasonable price to pay for two to see the "Nightwatch" or rooms of 17th C Delft pots in a small room filled with 100 tourists, then it's good value.
BTW, if it's raining & freezing cold when you visit ( as it nearly always is in Amsterdam when we visit it), from Centraal station, go to tram point 'B' & get on a number 5 tram, pay the driver €2.70 each for a ticket & get off on Hobbemastraat (about 10 stops, but there's a map & stop-off indication for every stop on the route), & the best of luck.
They've abandoned the old 'Strippenkart' cheaper system now, which used to be a fairly cheap way of using the trams & buses in Amsterdam, but I guess this is their way of thanking the tourists & adapting to new austerity rules. Or of subsidising the raw herring & onion sellers in their ubiquitous Amsterdam stalls; a food which only the most eccentric of adventurous eaters would consider in any way edible or sensible, but mebbe that's just me.
As a foreign tourist in Amsterdam I expect to be ripped off in a small way now & again, but the nu-mini-Rijksmuseum (in a building paid for by Phillips, btw), really takes the biscuit.
However, it is warm & dry in there & there is a very nice toilet & a good souvenir shop.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.