“Quite solid new approach By Ron” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ron Blaauw Restaurant

Ron Blaauw Restaurant
Sophialaan 55hs, 1075 BP Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)
020 496 19 43
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #666 of 2,244 restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Stadsdeel Zuid
Amsterdam
“Quite solid new approach By Ron”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

We dined at Ron Blaauw many times over the years, started enjoying his style when still in Ouderkerk ,with no Michelin star pressure at that point,grew to 2 star there and then the move to Amsterdam.
We never actually enjoyed it anymore at the new location, it had no heart we felt and actually had two not so great experiences and decided that it was basically just over and done with and took our business elsewhere.
Then Ron decided to change his game about a year ago,still not triggered and It felt a bit weird that a restaurant owner hands back his ,at one point, "well deserved" Stars because you are fed up, although we do believe that the trend should be less complicated and more about straightforward, simple, enjoyable food. We decided to give it a try last october, went there on a thursday night , it was fully packed and quite noisy, we got bar seating although we made reservation a week before.The concept is that all dishes are 15 euro and some( actually quite a few) come with supplements.The structure of the menu is ok, you have cold and hot dishes and the portions may vary( not clearly stated).We started with some Oysters,The tartare of coquille and Lanqoustine, all very well prepared and presented and really fair portions,after digesting we went on for some meat dishes we did have to wait for a while before our next orders arrived though.. The Veal Pita ,(mainly filled with organ meat) is really outstanding,also the Wagyu was pretty good,the Carpaccio was somewhat disappointing,taste was lacking and the plate was not made up very well the last dish we choose was the King Crab,we got a complementary coffee and they apologized for the waiting.
Overall it was really a different experience compared with what it used to be( the highs and the lows), but refreshing, the brigade is pretty solid,although when it is busy they tend to miss a few things, so room for improvement, the wine selection is a little too straightforward and could be a little bit more exciting.Will definitely go back a try a lunch next time to see how they improved /taken it up a bit more!

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

70% Recommend
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“Two star rating of Michelin are gone, only high prices remain”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I was triggered by the concept as I read that Ron Blaauw returned his two Michelin stars in order to come up with a new and less formal bistro concept. Although I booked in advance, they couldn't find me on the reservations list. However, I saw my name on the list, but with a line drawn over it. Seemed a mistake and we could get in. I like the bistro environment with little tables newt to each other. Very nice. I also appreciated I had a direct sight on the kitchen...I saw unfortunately that the chef's assistant was quite generous with salt.
The waitress, dressed very informal, learned me that the plates were all medium size and at at rate of 15 euro each. She recommended to order 4 of them per person. We ordered 2 of them and also ordered the Spanish meat plate, which was prepared in a very special way, they learned me. Let's give it a try. Food was deliciuous, we really enjoyed all the plates. However, way too much salt on the meat. I should have told the waitress in advance to be cautious with salt as I 've seen the assistant chef. Too late. But we enjoyed the food. There is a large choices of wines and the waittress waas able to advice us very well. She was very skilled. However, the overall bill was outrageous...more than 250€ For two persons. Way too much for the experience we had. You can't come up with a bistro concept and charge prices of a two star rated Michelin restaurant. This is way too overpriced and I won't recommend tjis place. Because the food was ok, I will give them a three star rating on Tripadvisor

Visited November 2013
York
“From two star to one knife and fork”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

What a disappointment! Had visited when a two star restaurant .Its now much more streamlined and short order Dont mind this if the quality is maintained but it wasn't . Almost everything was 15 euros a portion.One side of the menu is for cold dishes and the other hot. Surprisingly there was no indication of portion size and there was a great difference in size e.g. Chinese grilled cabbage was a large quarter cabbage accompanied by an inch square of eel.The monkfish was also tiny .In complete contrast the hangar steak was a normal size and probably the best dish. Mackerel sashimi was also a good choice.
Cava was good but the other wines we had by the glass were not .Maybe the bottles had been open a while or they weren't well kept. Certainly people around us ordered by the bottle and not by the glass.Coffee was excellent. Service was mainly good but wines were always brought after our dishes were served.
Not worth a return visit.There are far better places in Amsterdam.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Too overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I went here for a client dinner and was rather disappointed with the food. It was good, but nothing spectacular. The service was terrible and it was so overpriced. I would not recommend going here if you wish to impress. Thankfully, our clients chose this restaurant, so this did not reflect on my firm's reputation.

Visited June 2013
Osnabruck, Germany
“Wow!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Celebrated my 68th birthday in the new bistro on the 6th May, the food was excellent, the service very good, you must book well in advance I suggest, because Ron's is such a favourite it will be full and the accoustics in the bistro make it quite loud - not the place for a "quiet table in the corner" but nevertheless highly recommended-

• Visited May 2013