“i like the new concept!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ron Blaauw Restaurant

Ron Blaauw Restaurant
Sophialaan 55hs, 1075 BP Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)
020 496 19 43
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #702 of 2,317 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Stadsdeel Zuid
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“i like the new concept!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

First visit to this place since they changed the name and concept. It's called Ron's Gastrobar now and the michelin stars are gone (this happens instantly once you change the name of a restaurant). But the great food stayed! The menu has changed into +/- 25 small dishes (no starters no mains) all priced 15 eu which you combine to your own taste and likings. We had 3 dishes each and a nice desert which all tasted very good. Like the amotsphere of the place and it was completely packed. had a great meal and great wine enjoyed the whole evening.
only downside was that is seamed that the personnel is not used to a completely full restaurant so there where some little details they have to work on (keep my wineglass filled etc.)
will visit again! The bill was around 170 euro for the two of us but included appetizer, bottle wine , bottle water, coffee, 6 dishes 2 desers

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Singapore, Singapore
“Try their special set-lunches”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We had a 4-course set lunch menu here @ €55 per person somewhere in the middle of February this year. The restaurant offers 3/4/7- course set lunch menus @ €47.50/55/75 respectively and dishes served changes with the season.

The set lunch we had was mostly of excellent quality and priced reasonably (as compared to its Michelin Starred counterparts elsewhere). When each course was served, the chef personally came out to us to explain what the course was, and what went into it. Unlimited fresh bread was provided with butter and olive oil (the bread AND butter were top-notch!). We had Mackerel Tartare which I really enjoyed, then a dish with Jerusalem artichokes (can't remember the name of the dish), and then some supposed medium-rare beef which was a bit too rare for me at some parts- for an otherwise decent dish. The dessert, however was a let-down - it was a caramel cream dessert that I felt was certainly too sweet for me.

Atmosphere and service was nice- waiters were well trained and were always attentive and yet not too intrusive. There was a cloakroom at the door where the service personnel will help you remove your coats and keep them. The toilets had baskets of clean rolled towels with quality toiletries - befitting that of a fine dining restaurant.

A couple of very minor issues:

(1) plain water was charged @ €6.50 per 750ml and it was not made known to us at the start. That's okay, being "Tuscany water bottled at source", I can accept that. However, when the water was finished, the waiter very quickly came along with another bottle without me asking and filled up again, and there went another €6.50 :-(

I wouldn't fault them for this - as they probably cater mainly to a high-income clientele and rarely get customers who are as plebeian as me ;-) in fact I understand that even a light reminder of the price to customers might be slightly insulting to other diners. So this point is just for information's sake only - and is not a complaint about the service.

(2) The food was well explained to us by the chef, however, it would be nice if it was in print on a small card as well - as the verbal explanation of what went into the dishes was lengthy and it couldn't be recalled just 5 minutes later - we liked the complex flavours of what we were eating, but had forgotten what it was!

Conclusion: While I consider this restaurant a bit too costly for plebs like myself to dine here on a regular basis, its set-lunch offerings are still affordable for that few-times-a-year special occasions - it was certainly a worthy and wonderful experience!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bellevue, Washington
“Defines fine dinning & finesse”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Never been to a fine dinning restaurant? This is the place! Looking for a stellar fine dinning restaurant? This is the place!

For me it was a very pricey place but wanted to show my lady a great time which included a restaurant with nice ambience. We didn't know a lot about the place before we were served our first course. It's a multi-course menu with optionally paired wines. Chef keeps sending amazing things to try while they are busy making the main course. Clientele was good also.

Totally a must go place, cant recommend it much! :)

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
North Wales, United Kingdom
“Excellent - mostly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I had the fixed lunch menu here. They swapped one of the dishes at my request without hesitation and gave me an extra dish because my changed item took longer to cook. Most of the food was very good, two of the courses were excellent but the dessert was not nice. The restaurant itself is not especially attractive - a long narrow space with windows overlooking a pavement and a street, and I found the room a little chilly (it was about 3 degrees outside).
Service was OK, though I have a preference for more attentive, old-fashioned service which some people might find a bit intrusive. The meal with 4 glasses of wine was 115 euros.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Amsterdam
“Lovely!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We visit star restaurants at least once a year as a treat to ourselves. This 2-star did not disappoint. The atmo is great. definitely not stuffy. Staff is seen but not heard until you need them and then they are there before you raise an eyebrow. good stuff. The saturday-menu was delicious as was the wine pairing. well done! Will definitely!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere