“A bit pretentious but good for the price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Conscious Hotel Vondelpark

You added Conscious Hotel Vondelpark to your Saves list
Conscious Hotel Vondelpark
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Overtoom 519-521, 1054 LH Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Ranked #76 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
“A bit pretentious but good for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

The theme of the Conscious is that it is self aware, and missed you till you arrived. The place is littered with speech bubbles of different objects speaking to you: 'I am your room, we haven't met yet but I think I'm going to like you', I am your light, turn me on but don't abuse me'. Thankfully the toilet didn't have one but it would make a great caption competition.

Apart from that it is a pretty basic place, nice and clean though with fresh linens on the beds and we had a nice bright room overlooking a quiet back street. It is at the top end of Vondelpark so a nice stroll to the museum quarter though the tram to central station does stop right outside the door.

The seating area downstairs is nice, lots of books to browse bit the outside is filthy and littered with cigarette ends.

Like other reviewers I found the staff a bit arrogant, a cover for incompetence, painful to wait 15 minutes for a coffee and croissant in the morning when there were about 5 people standing around doing nothing. A bit of training would sort it out.

If you have a car then you can book a space in the garage which is a bit cheaper (20Euros?) than parking in the street (27) though if you arrive at the weekend you don't have to pay for street parking.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Bern, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Very nice hotel, clean enough.
Breakfast not includet - not too cheap but excellent.
Good: Tram stop in front of the door, clean rooms, breakfast, *conscousness", free wifi.
Not so good: rather loud slamming doors, filthy outside (not inside!), most people working there are very nice, some at the reception desk were quite arrogant.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

My husband and I went to Amsterdan in mid July 2014 and stayed 3 days at Conscious Hotel. Great customer service, friendly and helpful; room small but perfect for couple with two small luggage; no frigobar, safe, and great shower.
The room was quiet.
Wifi included in the price. A/C in the room.
Located at the south part of the beautiful Vondelpark a little far from all the attractions but easy Tram 1 ride from Central Station, about 25 min. For us was worth it to buy the tram card for 48 hours and we had an easy ride from center, and museums to the hotel. Many restaurants, cafes, markets, and pharmacies closed by.
Great breakfast at Tasty- up the street.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Conscious_Hotels, Manager at Conscious Hotel Vondelpark, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Well that's great to hear! Thanks for sharing ;-)

I'll make sure to let everyone at our hotel know!
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights here and it is with mixing feelings. I think the hotel has a good mission and idea about eco-friendly etc but it was executed poorly. Guests could experience a great time or horrible nightmare at this hotel depending the front desk staff or if you are lucky to get a good room.

We arrived at night due to evening flight, and our room got messed up. But still I don't understand why we paid more for the PREMIUM room, yet it is a smaller room than a STANDARD room??? And the hotel has Tower A and Tower B, as others mentioned, I would advise you to stay within Tower A. Most front desk staff are nice, but the ones working night shifts are not as experienced to handle requests professionally.

I would recommend trying out the breakfast for at least 1 morning. Most of the food are of good quality you won't regret it.

The map from hotel has tram lines in there. I found it helpful and better than maps from the guidebook.

If you need transfers I highly suggest you book the Electric taxi, reserve online 24 hrs before to save extra 25%. We booked our ride to the airport, the driver was friendly and arrived 10 minutes early!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Conscious_Hotels, Manager at Conscious Hotel Vondelpark, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Hi,

Thank you for the review! There are more differences between the standard and premium rooms than just room size; the premium rooms have iPod docking stations, luxury coco-mat beds and an extra chair at the writing desk. Since we transform abandoned office buildings it sometimes means that we have to meet the challenges that come along with it, such as with layout.

Glad to hear you liked our electric taxi partner, the breakfast and our map though!

About your tip regarding tower A and tower B; if you stay in tower A you are very likely to miss our roof safari and wouldn't want anyone to miss out on that. True, logistics might not be ideal, but that comes with the forementioned challenges of the office building.

Hope to see you again!
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Two valuable rings disappeared while I was at this hotel so I am sorry that I stayed here. Before I discovered that, I already was quite disappointed in the hotel. I gave it 2 stars because the location is not bad and the front desk clerks were very nice. But the hallways have been painted dark brown which is just ugly. My room had black fingerprints around the light switches and in the bathroom. The 'eco' soap-shampoo-conditioner dispenser had not been filled. To me, the comments on room doors and throughout the room about how eco-conscious the hotel was in construction and operation were pretentious. I cannot recommend this hotel to any traveler.

Room Tip: I do not recommend this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear about what happened and are even more sorry because we didn't hear from you sooner! We obviously take this matter very seriously and therefore I would like to ask you to contact us so we can further investigate the issue raised here.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards.
Paris
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Arriving by bicycle, having cycled from Paris to Amsterdam, we were looking for a hotel that had secure storage. The receptionist on the phone had said that it would be no problem for us to leave our bikes in the secure car park. On checking out they tried to charge us for a whole parking space, for two bicycles, and it took a fairly unpleasant argument for the manager to change her mind. Surprising for a hotel that is supposedly very environmentally friendly!

The other staff were quite helpful, the room was small but clean and the location near the park is good, although obviously some distance from the centre.

The quirky messages all over the place would probably get quite annoying after a few nights. Water-saving showerheads are hardly the most innovative eco-friendly measure. Overall, I expected more for my money.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that we did not fully meet your expectations and agree with you that have water-saving showers are hardly the most innovative eco-friendly measures.

That's exactly why we go much further that; we have LED lighting throughout the hotel, have covered our roof with living plants, serve a fully organic breakfast, have certifications on all the natural sources used in our interior, or if regulations do not allow us to do so, have cradle-to-cradle arrangements with our suppliers. Furthermore our hotels are powered by green energy and we have organic linens, which are washed by the most eco-friendly laundry service in the Netherlands. This, among many other green efforts make our hotels GreenKey Gold properties. Admittedly; not all of the forementioned eco-friendly measures can be labeled as highly innovative, but that doesn't render them obsolete.

However, we do agree that we should always push ourselves to the max and keep up with green innovations.

Once again, thanks for your feedback!
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

This hotel speaks to its guests. Its rooms are begging you to love it, with the quirky, personal descriptions on the door that welcome you ("I have always been your room, we just haven't met until now. Remember me always, I am room 123"), the soap dispenser and towels which share messages about the environment and how much you mean to them. The glass walkway between tower a and b has interpretive signage describing the plantings (sedum, dianthus) and wildlife (bees, a cat!) you will see along the way. The descriptions are humorous and we actually did see the cat which was depicted, many times.

The staff was excellent. We didn't try the breakfast buffet but opted for something cheaper. I would have given this a higher rating, but the lack of any way to unpack your suitcase or anywhere to put your clothes was a minus, because we had to live out of the suitcases on the floor for 3 days. This may have been because our room looked like it was wheelchair accessible, but it would have been nice to have the option to raise the suitcases without taking up chairs or the table. That said, the room was a nice size, the bathroom was HUGE and we really liked the location: close enough to the park but far enough from the tourists and conveniently across from the tram stop. Wish we could have opened the window more than a few inches at the top because we were there at a warm time of year.

We enjoyed our stay, and appreciated how eco-concious the hotel was. Wish they would open up some in the states!

Room Tip: Tower B is very quiet. Our room (125) was warm (the weather was unseasonably warm and sunny, which w...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Conscious_Hotels, Manager at Conscious Hotel Vondelpark, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Hi,

Thanks for the review! Glad to see you liked our 'roofsafari' (as we like to refer to it)!

Next time you stay with us, just ask and we will happily unlock the window for you in hot times like these.

Hope to see you again!

Been to Conscious Hotel Vondelpark? Share your experiences!