“Decent enough stay, good value.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Conscious Hotel Vondelpark

You added Conscious Hotel Vondelpark to your Saves list
Conscious Hotel Vondelpark
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Overtoom 519-521, 1054 LH Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Ranked #76 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Sydney, Australia
“Decent enough stay, good value.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Stayed here in November for two nights. The location is a little out of the city but easily accessible via tram. The room was clean enough, the bathroom was huge. Bedroom a little small I thought but this may be the norm for Amsterdam. Room was very cold though and the air con in the place didn't seem to work. Bit of a trek to the room. Up a lift, walk through a corridor then up another life. Bit of a pain if you have lots of luggage. Got a great room rate though so a 4/5 for me. Staff were also helpful enough.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights. Our room was not as nice as the pictures depicted. However it was very cIean, spacious, and quiet.
All in all, it was a nice place to relax after a busy day. I would reccomend this hotel if you don't mind riding the tram or a bicycle since it is not located near the main attractions.

• Stayed December 2013
Littlehampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Double room and bathroom were perfect, very clean. Staff were nice, friendly and helpful.
Short tram ride away from the city but that didn't matter. I think it was about 12 euroes for a 48 hour tram pass and it took about 15 minutes to get to Central Station.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Every little detail is taken care of: warm, friendly staff at reception, organic food at a fab breakfast buffet, cosy rooms and little touches like refillable bottles of eco-friendly toiletries.
The rooms are well-appointed, with everything you will need but none of the wasteful little 'add-on's that you will find at chain hotels: over packaged things like shower caps that increase your carbon footprint just by checking in!
The 'conscious' part is underlined throughout, but with cheery, funny notices that keep it from becoming too righteous. I particularly love the green wall in the cosy lobby, and love that they have made a window seat to relax in.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I chose this hotel from among many available options because of its location and their philosophy regarding conservation of resources.

Let me quickly note that I would gladly stay here again. I will, however, provide some details that may help other travelers who choose this hotel.

Right away I'll state that the hotel's staff was great. Everyone I encountered was engaging, welcoming, pleasant, informed and service oriented. My thanks to all, especially Gent, Oliver and Nikka (the only names I know) and also to the Housekeeping Supervisor, whose name I don't know but who spoke lovingly about "the magic of Amsterdam" in an impromptu conversation in the corridor between the "A" and "B" Towers.

Some other reviewers have noted the odd and somewhat awkward location of the "B" Tower rooms, where I stayed. Yes, it's a bit involved to start in the "A" Tower (location of the hotel's entrance, lobby/lounge, Reception, and breakfast room) go up one flight, walk along a corridor to the "B" Tower and then navigate to one's room among four floors, but it didn't bother me as I typically made that trek only once or twice each day.

My first stay (night of 1st December) was in room 428, which I found peaceful and quiet with its location at the end of the main hall on the fourth floor of "B" Tower. I'm not a fan of the hotel's "COCO-MAT" mattresses, which were bowed in a concave fashion, but that's a subjective issue and the bed wasn't truly uncomfortable; it just didn't provide the firm support to which I'm accustomed.

My second stay of four nights (6th-10th December) was in room 423, which was laid out differently and which seemed a bit smaller than room 428 but that didn't really matter to me. What did matter, however, was the noise I could hear from adjacent rooms especially the opening/closing of doors. The entire floor has acoustics that ring "hollow" with metal doors and locking mechanisms and walls that seemed 'metallic' in their quality. Sound readily transmitted from adjacent rooms and/or the hallway to my room. That quality was especially apparent with the family occupying the two rooms adjacent to mine with doors opening/closing frequently as they went between their rooms at night and in the mornings. Did I sleep? Yes, I slept but not without some rather jarring moments (the sound of doors opening/closing and other room-to-room sounds). It was very different from my stay in room 428.

Returning to the positive aspects of this property, I loved its location. It worked perfectly for my needs and the convenience of Tram line 1 literally in front of the hotel was a huge benefit to me. Tram line 1 will take you to/from Amsterdam Lelylaan rail station (three stops from the hotel), which is only one stop from Schiphol airport. No need to go the extra distance to/from Amsterdam Centraal station when traveling between the airport and the hotel.

The surrounding neighborhood boasts a number of cafes, restaurants, pubs and an Albert Heijn supermarket within easy walking distance (or short tram ride) and the serene beauty of Vondelpark is but a couple of blocks away.

I enjoyed the breakfast buffet, which was sufficient and satisfying at 13.50 Euros and the gentlemen serving the area were always very cheerful and accommodating. I also enjoyed the wine selection offered in the lobby lounge. They offer only a few choices but the wines were of good quality and the price was very reasonable; it was a good way to unwind after a busy day of exploring.

Other reviewers have been a bit bothered by the signs extolling the conservationist approach throughout their rooms, but they're just signs and I appreciate the hotel's commitment to sustainable practices, none of which impacted my ability to enjoy my stay. I think it's fair for the hotel to call out their efforts.

Overall I would gladly return to the Conscious Hotel - Vondelpark and I hope to do so.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

I am very impresed with the hotel and how quiet it was! Went to Amst for my hubby's bday and couldn't ask for more at the end of the day. Breakfast there is great, especially freshly squeezed orange juice.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Newbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

We stayed for a long weekend. The hotel is easy to find if you are coming from the Centraal stataion - take the number 1 tram. Easy as it stops right outside the hotel.
The room was very clean, cannot fault housekeeping and the heating warm. We were in tower B, it was really quiet so if you are a light sleeper ask for a room in that tower.
We had breakfast each morning, it was a little pricey but it was very tasty. As a tourist I fill up on B'fast then have a small lunch on the go.
The bar in the evening is very expensive. The service is fine however the beer is only brewed down the road a little way (look for the windmill) and about 2 euros cheaper.
The staff were happy and friendly and nothing seemed to be a problem for them.
I would reccomend this hotel if you are happy to use the tram, are not worried about being in the center of the city and like walking through the park.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper ask for a room in tower B - room 424 nice view and quiet